Question New laptop ram running at 2666mhz vs 3200mhz

Mar 18, 2023
I have a new Aorus 5 laptop. The memory in CPUz show running at 1333mhz(2666) which is the default for 3200 ram i believe.. But it should be running at 3200 with this cpu.

In the bios it only shows the ram info under chipset. Micron ddr4 3200. There is no options for XMP or to make any kind of changes anywhere in the bios to do with ram.

It uses crucial ram. 16gb. I bought a 32gb 3200mhz crucial module same 1.2v and CL22 and swapped the ram. Same model.
It also runs at only 2666mhz. I swapped back to factory ram and it's still 2666.

Interestingly, I logged this while gaming with Hwinfo. Under memory clock info it will show maybe 3 to 12 rows of 1333, then a jump to 1596, then back to 1333. I then a few rows later back to 1596, etc. I don't know what this means.

How can I get this ram up to 3200? Regularly. I have the latest bios FBOE. Is this a ram issue, bios, or mobo? Maybe try different manufacturer of ram? I read other people were getting 3200mhz with stock ram, and that this bios is very choosy with what ram it will take. But I don't want to just keep trying different modules of this is not a ram issue.

Thanks for reading.

GIGABYTE
Model: Aorus 5 SE4- 73US213SH
Chipset Intel I7-12700H
Motherboard is Aorus 5 SE
Windows 11 home
BIOS - FB0E

Last edited:
What is the EXACT model and any submodel, of your laptop. It should be able to be found on a sticker or printed somewhere on the laptop itself. Please include any submodel designation as this is very important to knowing the exact specific components for any laptop as there can be mild to wild differences even within the same group family. If there is a service tag number or express service tag number, or something similar to that (As those are normally Dell identifiers but it's a good reference to knowing what we are looking for) that would be helpful as well.

Whatever fully identifies YOUR specific machine. We need to know that before we can even begin to know or find the actual specific hardware support for this machine.

Mar 18, 2023
What is the EXACT model and any submodel, of your laptop. It should be able to be found on a sticker or printed somewhere on the laptop itself. Please include any submodel designation as this is very important to knowing the exact specific components for any laptop as there can be mild to wild differences even within the same group family. If there is a service tag number or express service tag number, or something similar to that (As those are normally Dell identifiers but it's a good reference to knowing what we are looking for) that would be helpful as well.

Whatever fully identifies YOUR specific machine. We need to know that before we can even begin to know or find the actual specific hardware support for this machine.

Thanks. Added it above as well.

I have a new Aorus 5 laptop. The memory in CPUz show running at 1333mhz(2666) which is the default for 3200 ram i believe.. But it should be running at 3200 with this cpu.

In the bios it only shows the ram info under chipset. Micron ddr4 3200. There is no options for XMP or to make any kind of changes anywhere in the bios to do with ram.

It uses crucial ram. 16gb. I bought a 32gb 3200mhz crucial module same 1.2v and CL22 and swapped the ram. Same model.
It also runs at only 2666mhz. I swapped back to factory ram and it's still 2666.

Interestingly, I logged this while gaming with Hwinfo. Under memory clock info it will show maybe 3 to 12 rows of 1333, then a jump to 1596, then back to 1333. I then a few rows later back to 1596, etc. I don't know what this means.

How can I get this ram up to 3200? Regularly. I have the latest bios FBOE. Is this a ram issue, bios, or mobo? Maybe try different manufacturer of ram? I read other people were getting 3200mhz with stock ram, and that this bios is very choosy with what ram it will take. But I don't want to just keep trying different modules of this is not a ram issue.

Thanks for reading.

GIGABYTE
Chipset Intel I7-12700H
Motherboard is Aorus 5 SE
Windows 11 home
BIOS - FB0E
Do these ram sticks show a jedec speed of 3200?

Gigabyte is aware there is an issue pertaining to this, otherwise, this, would not be the only thing to be found under the memory FAQ on the product support page for that laptop.

Why does the system report incorrect memory frequency and capacity after I upgrade memory modules?

Due to the limitation of the chipset and processor, the capacity and maximum clock speed of the memory modules will be different. If customers want to upgrade their own memory modules, we recommended user to refer to GIGABYTE official website first to make sure it can be supported without problem.

Unfortunately Gigabyte does not provide any information regarding what chipset this motherboard is (Probably because multiple motherboard models might be found in any given unit or because it is a custom solution) nor do they offer a user manual that is worth more than for wiping your backside with. It is clear they want to pretend they are Apple and don't want users doing anything with their hardware other than using it. I prefer Gigabyte for motherboards but I'd never buy just about anything else from them because they are far too tight lipped and tight fisted when it comes to providing information or being upgradeable without consistently having problems. They must think they are QNAP.

As Bob has alluded to, despite the fact that they show support for "up to 3200MT/s" that might ONLY include support for memory kits that have native JEDEC 3200MT/s profiles because a lot of laptop motherboards do not support XMP profiles. What is the exact model of the memory kit or single DIMM that you purchased or have tried to use?

Mar 18, 2023
Gigabyte is aware there is an issue pertaining to this, otherwise, this, would not be the only thing to be found under the memory FAQ on the product support page for that laptop.

Unfortunately Gigabyte does not provide any information regarding what chipset this motherboard is (Probably because multiple motherboard models might be found in any given unit or because it is a custom solution) nor do they offer a user manual that is worth more than for wiping your backside with. It is clear they want to pretend they are Apple and don't want users doing anything with their hardware other than using it. I prefer Gigabyte for motherboards but I'd never buy just about anything else from them because they are far too tight lipped and tight fisted when it comes to providing information or being upgradeable without consistently having problems. They must think they are QNAP.

As Bob has alluded to, despite the fact that they show support for "up to 3200MT/s" that might ONLY include support for memory kits that have native JEDEC 3200MT/s profiles because a lot of laptop motherboards do not support XMP profiles. What is the exact model of the memory kit or single DIMM that you purchased or have tried to use?

Thanks for your reply. Here is a pick of the 2 sticks. The first is the 8gb (x2)that came with the unit. The second is a stick of the 16gb(×2) I bought for an upgrade.

View: https://imgur.com/a/Q8Lqued

Ram

Mar 18, 2023
The battery on this thing sucks too. Drains very fast. From 100% to 85% just turning it on and off a few times to do this ram test. It also drains battery while gaming while plugged in, but this is a know issue. Have not fully tested battery drain just for web surfing. But even efficiency says less that 2 hours from 100% to zero.
I probably will drop it at the Gigabyte service center and have them check it.
I would send it back and get a replacement as it's still under 30 days, but it's out of stock and newegg will only give a refund.
I got it new for about $1000 usd which is pretty cheap for a I7-12700H and 3070 rtx it gets about 11300 on timespy so not a lot less than a 3070ti which is about $500+ more on another brand. So for 1000 it would be a great deal without issues. But often there is a reason why a item is priced at such a discount.

Mar 18, 2023
So, crucial doesn't offer any information on the profiles for these sticks. Can you post a screenshot of the profiles listed on the SPD tab of CPU-Z so we can look at them. It might be an XMP profile that is at 3200MT/s and not a JEDEC profile.
This is from a file HWinfo while gaming.

What do you make of the bouncing mhz. Mostly 1333, but every few entries at 1596? Goes on the entire log

View: https://imgur.com/a/PKzsBxJ

Mar 18, 2023
That's probably not unusual. We see memory speed fluctuate a lot of times on these laptops.

I thought those were supposed to be 16GB DIMMs. Why does CPU-Z say it is an 8GB DIMM?
When I ran that Hwinfo test several days ago, it was with the stock 8gb x2 cl22 3200mhz that came with the laptop.
I did not run the test on the new 32gb of ram. I only checked in CPUz that the reported frequency was 1333mhz
I did read on another forum, that they had their ram tuned down to 2666mhz after the last bios update. So maybe something in the bios is forcing it to run at 2666.

If that is the case, I am thinking of trying some Kingston Fury 16gb x2(32gb) Kit. 2666mhz CL15 might be significantly faster than the crucial 3200 at cl22, especially forced to run at 2666.

What do you think?

2666MT/s memory at CL15 IS faster because it has a much lower true latency.

2666MT/s memory has a true latency of 11.25ns.

3200MT/S memory has a true latency of 13.75ns.

So that kit IS faster.

Here is the formula used to determine true latency.

1 / Frequency (not DDR) x Latency = True Latency (nanoseconds).

Stock 3200 @ 14 is faster than Stock 3600 @ 16:

1 / 1.600GHz x 14 = 8.75nS
1 / 1.800GHz x 16 = 8.89nS

Stable Overclock with 3733 @ 16 is faster:

3733 @ 16 is 1 / 1.867GHz x 16 = 8.57nS

Mar 18, 2023
2666MT/s memory at CL15 IS faster because it has a much lower true latency.

2666MT/s memory has a true latency of 11.25ns.

3200MT/S memory has a true latency of 13.75ns.

So that kit IS faster.

Here is the formula used to determine true latency.

1 / Frequency (not DDR) x Latency = True Latency (nanoseconds).

Stock 3200 @ 14 is faster than Stock 3600 @ 16:

1 / 1.600GHz x 14 = 8.75nS
1 / 1.800GHz x 16 = 8.89nS

Stable Overclock with 3733 @ 16 is faster:

3733 @ 16 is 1 / 1.867GHz x 16 = 8.57nS
I order a kit from Amazon and will see if it works. Although I am skeptical. Before this last bios released in Dec, there were only 7 ram module supported. Samsung, crucial, and one other can't remember. But cosarir, Kingston, all those other were not supported. 7 models of ram tables is atrocious for a system support.

GIGABYTE really sucks on this. And there tech support is non-existant. I have had a support ticket open for a week now, with no contact. They have no phone or chat support that I can see.

So do you think this lock of 3200 at 2666 is a bios issue? I wonder if it's a cooling issue. I just ran C23 and had max cpu Temps of 77. That is with it sitting on a fan cooling pad. Perhaps 3200 would be too hot?

Edit. Running some tests now and I see the memory drops down to 1064mhz a lot as well. Latency drops to 15T. At 1333 it's a 19T on Hwinfo. Quite a lot of bouncing around

Last edited:
Truthfully, I don't know what the hell is going on with that machine in terms of it not properly supporting 3200mhz DIMMs that ARE JEDEC designated like yours. It wouldn't be the first time that a company found they had problems with something and then gimped it intentionally as the "solution" but I'm not sure I've ever seen them intentionally gimp the memory speed. Usually it's the other way around, improving support for faster kits.

And you CPU temp of 77°C has nothing at all to do with anything memory related. Not only is it not related, but it's WELL within spec.

Mar 18, 2023
Truthfully, I don't know what the hell is going on with that machine in terms of it not properly supporting 3200mhz DIMMs that ARE JEDEC designated like yours. It wouldn't be the first time that a company found they had problems with something and then gimped it intentionally as the "solution" but I'm not sure I've ever seen them intentionally gimp the memory speed. Usually it's the other way around, improving support for faster kits.

And you CPU temp of 77°C has nothing at all to do with anything memory related. Not only is it not related, but it's WELL within spec.

Yeah it's weird. They have done some stuff to the bios and the bios had almost no ability to change anything. Seems like there are hardware issues(perhaps power)and they are trying to gimp the machine to make it work. I really don't know. I will be interested to see if the Kingston ram works when I get it tomorrow and if it stays at a stable 2666mhz.

Even with the issues, a timespy score of 11300 and a C23 of 14k are not too bad for a $1000 machine.

Mar 18, 2023

Well the new Kingston memory works without a problem. 2666 @ cl16 which makes it a tiny bit faster than the 3200 @22
I do know this computer has some heat issues. Even with it sitting on a good fan pad, it's throttled a few times. It's really thin and cooling solution looks weak. Maybe they are gimping it a bit to keep cool. Anyways thanks for your help.