New Mac Ad Attacks Entire Windows Lineage

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshthor

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
i dont like apples marketing campain. sure, all windows os' have had problems. but they are computers. all apple os' have had problems too. windows 7 is solely about polish. its gotten great reviews from everything ive seen, it runs very fast, very smooth and is very pretty.

G

I wonder if Apple fans realize what this type of attack makes them look like... cuz Im sure that none of those iterations of Windows ever influenced ANY of apple's design choices... no, none of them....... dicks.

lightsaber

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
Apple is just jealous of Microsoft....everyone knows if it was not for the Ipod Apple would be a non-factor today. All hail Microsoft!!!

Nik_I

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
I love how apple goes and attackes every version of windows ever made, like they've always put out consistently good operating systems. I'm sorry, but OS9 was way behind the times, and was quite buggy. Apple really needs to stop with these sad attempts.

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
Windows 2? I think they mean Windows 286 or Windows 386 (I have both in the retail boxes).Apple is grasping at straws with futility here with Windows 7.

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
Stop taking a company's TV advertisements personally, suckers. Do you guys back Mc Donald's against Carl's Jr. advertising too? I hope the new TV ads by both Microsoft and Apple spur strong sales for both companies as they are both major components in my 401k.

ssalim

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2007
How are they empty promises if the OS has been used and liked by many users and not just internal testers even before the release?

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
[citation][nom]wildwell[/nom]Stop taking a company's TV advertisements personally, suckers. Do you guys back Mc Donald's against Carl's Jr. advertising too? I hope the new TV ads by both Microsoft and Apple spur strong sales for both companies as they are both major components in my 401k.[/citation]

At least Carl's Jr puts on display their actual product in their ads, instead of just spending the entire time bashing the competition.

G

Haha, that commercial did at least make me laugh. It's true that PC users expect there to be some issues that will eventually be patched, despite claims to the contrary. With Apple the issues come as a surprise to their users, are usually significant (e.g. exploding iPhones, deleted data,) and users are lucky if Apple even acknowledges the issue let alone fixes it ¬_¬

archigos

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
Yep, agreed. Funny ad. To give opinion, it was one of the weaker ads I've seen by Apple. I do agree that we need to keep ourselves in check and not get so worked up about ads and things like them. It's marketing, that's the way it goes. Apple is marketing their products, Microsoft is marketing theirs. Pick what works best for you and roll with it. Friendly competition? Sure! I wouldn't say some of the comments left here are in that spirit though. Just food for thought.

doc70

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
that's what I was expecting from Apple; no lesson learned about anything, just more bitching about the competition.

Can not even begin to compare this ad with the one from MS ...

Just a minor point: if the Mac OS would have been so flawless, why do we have so many versions of it? Unless they were trying to fix and improve on some problems of their own...

Stupid ad.

[citation][nom]jj463rd[/nom]Windows 2? I think they mean Windows 286 or Windows 386 (I have both in the retail boxes).Apple is grasping at straws with futility here with Windows 7.[/citation]

you think thats bad i found an OEM copy of windows ME that was never opened (and never will be ) :)

96stangman

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
yep that shows why mac is the number one computer company in the world....... wait a minuet windows has 90 percent of computers ???

G

Steve dude, Windows marketshare > 90%, Mac OS X < 10%. TRUST ME!!!11!!

foody

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
I don't think Apple realizes that every OS that ever has been and ever will be has had problems. The entire point of releasing a new OS or updating it is because they have problems or room to improve. It's pretty obvious to me that Mac has problems and has a lot of room to improve. They have released 7 versions of the same OS since the beta in 2002, and if I'm not mistaken, those 7 versions were released to fix problems and improve. Apple doesn't seem to mind being slightly hypocritical in their ads as long as their users don't generally think about what they hear in them.

Also I don't recall anyone saying that Windows Vista was meant to fix any problems that XP had excluding security maybe. It was meant to be an upgrade that offered more. Microsoft is more into improving Windows with new OS's and fixing problems with free service packs and upgrades unlike Apple which charges for their update packages. There's a reason Microsoft dominates the computer market. You can only teach an old dog so many tricks before it dies.

dheadley

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
You all take it way too seriously, I'm a Vista 64 user on my way to Windows 7 64 but I think the clip is humorous and to be honest it is completely true. They never say they don't have their own problems they are just pointing out that all the hoopla over Windows 7 is the same as over every previous version.

I've used Windows 7 beta and I will be ditching Vista for it real soon on all three desktops in our home with a family pack, but that doesn't change the fact that I still remember my top 100 computer horror stories all deal with some flavor of Windows giving me errors, blue screening, not running programs correctly after a service release and making me visit driver hell more times than I care to remember.

I still use it everyday, but it definitely a love-hate relationship.

mustwarnothers

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
I thought it was clever, except for the fact that when he gets to Windows XP, he should stop. Since when has Windows XP been known to be unreliable? It's first week of release?

The Mac operating system for the past few years hasn't had any major face lift (not that it's dying for one), so the last updates have merely been revisions.

That's not to say that Microsoft's attempts at redesigning the wheel are always reliable or smart, but Windows changes from version to version have been significant overhauls.

osxsier

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
I like Windows 7, but I think Apple is very clever in marketing to the ignorant masses. The average person does not read sites like Toms Hardware and don't know the difference between ram and hard drive capacity. They think both are memory. So for those people, Apple is being very smart and playing to their fears.

rocman3001

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
It's marketing alright - and borderline logical fallacy at that.

This would be like Toyota running an ad where they show Honda's cars from the past few decades throughout the ENTIRE commercial. All the while, the voiceover would say things like "Honda's cars from the 80s would fail today's frontal impact test miserably", "Honda's cars back then also didn't have side curtain airbags" or "Honda's cars back then just sucked".

And then at the 29th second of the 30 second commercial, the Toyota logo would flash onto the screen.

Logically, this doesn't say jack about the performance of Toyota's cars. It just points out the bad stuff about Honda from Toyota's point of view (not necessarily the consumers).

Status
Not open for further replies.