New Mac Ad Attacks Entire Windows Lineage

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ouch... and yet I can't stop laughing.

Of course windows 95 was a big improvement over 3.1 and was way more useful. Win 98 had alot less problems than 95, but then come ME and that is really what really makes the joke. Well that and the horrible experience a few people had with the release version of Vista.

Problems from the win 9x series are really the result of bad coding practices at Microsoft. The trouble with XP was that it had to support software written with those bad coding practices and Vista, which was built with good coding practices, had to be patched continuously to support old programs that had bad code.

Win 7 is a step in the right direction as it uses an XP VM to run older programs rather than trying to replicate buggy behavior to support older programs. I really wish MS would take a page from apple though and simply not patch the OS just to run buggy code. With apple, if your code doesn't run on their new OS your SOL and that's it. We this with their major transitions especially going from OS 9 to OS 10.

G

VERY BAD COMMENT BELOW

Damn, even if good ol' Steve dies of cancer, it will still be the fault of M$ software in the medical equipment.

moejoe4420

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
First, for disclosure, I own both. The ad is certainly pithy and most people who've experienced nonsense with every version of Windows will identify. Wasn't that the point? MAC's have had issues as well but nothing remotely close to the havoc of Windows. Most people aren't aware of MAC problems because the market share is so small. XP Pro has been the best of all the versions I've owned starting with WIN386. I like it for games. Sorry guys, for business I use MAC because mine has NEVER, EVER crashed or had malware. I'll try 7 if gamers find it reliable with the games I have.

Drag0nR1der

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
wow, that advert just seems desperate... I do like how the windoes adverts show people out in the world doing things, and mac adverts have two people in a white box cut off from anything, with no context, no life, no personality (either of them)... it's somehow fitting

G

[citation][nom]Delusion77[/nom]all i have to say is 93% market share.[/citation]

so what if everyone jumped off a bridge would you? it's just a freakin commercial. come on people get on the bash wagon you look dumb. you like winblows great use it!

Drag0nR1der

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
[citation][nom]archigos[/nom]..... It's marketing, that's the way it goes. Apple is marketing their products, Microsoft is marketing theirs. Pick what works best for you and roll with it. Friendly competition? Sure!.....[/citation]

Strange, i didn't see any marketing for Apple products in that ad, where was that exactly?

Friendly? dont think so... and I'm glad I'm not the kind of person 'that' type of advertising works for.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
I can't add more than what's already been written, but I didn't even bother watching that. I can't afford to buy a $2000 apple machine which runs slower than my $900 build windows PC. Why can't apple get this simple concept through their 'out of touch with reality' skulls?! From what I've seen during my 2 years of working in a retail electronics store, I wouldn't even want an Apple computer if it was realistically priced.

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
[citation][nom]fulle[/nom]At least Carl's Jr puts on display their actual product in their ads, instead of just spending the entire time bashing the competition.[/citation]

The whole Carl's Ad is a bash on the McD's burger. They even have a dialog, just like Apple's commercials. You can't really think the talking burger in the Carl's ad is what you're actually going to get do you?! Buy either burger and open the greasy wrapper.

Same goes for Apple & Microsoft advertisements. The pleasant experience suggested in the ads from both companies will eventually be marred by reality once you've been using their computers for a few months.

You people really are a marketer's dream. Regardless if you like the ads or not, the fact that they affect you all on such an emotional level proves how effective their marketing campaign is and how simple minded most of you are. Go ahead, vote me down... again!

G

Apple is the Bad guy here.

If they really, really, really wanted to get market share to begin with and maybe, just maybe be where Microsoft is today, then they should never have tried to restrict Every single operating system they have come out with to their own hardware. They should have allowed their Operating Systems to be installed on any system instead of trying to keep it proprietary.

Just think of what would have happened if Microft had tried to use the same tactics?

They would probably be in the same boat and someone else probably would have come along and stolen the show.

For all we know, most everyone would probably be running Linux seeing as the development would have really been accelerated in such a situation.

NoCaDrummer

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008
Ah, the Windows fanboys are out in force today.
(Before you start dumping on me as an "Apple fanboy", I don't use Windows OR OS-X at home.)

The ad is funny. At least for those of us with memories longer than our keyboards. (I'd say something significantly shorter, but probably offend half the population.)
Yes, we HAVE heard those same promises over and over and over. For developers, how many times have you heard "this is the final 'standard', we're not changing it," only to find it's been superseded six months later?
Is Apple perfect? No, not by a long shot. Nor is any other software firm for that matter. But Microsoft has enough egg on its face (from Vista) to feed the world, and it's going to take time to live that down. And yes, it made similar claims when Vista arrived.
So I say, "It's a good, funny ad. Now Apple, we've all gotten a chuckle, time to get back to fixing your own problems."

sycosys

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
What a completely vacuous and wasted 30 seconds of meh.. Those of you who are still laughing would probably laugh if someone read you the phonebook.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Wow... Microsoft fanboys are delusional. It's funny how Tom's has become so filled with idiotic fanboys that they even had to write an article addressing that issue. It's sad how you take Mac commercials as a personal attack and blame "Mac users" for it. If you use a company to identify yourself and think they can do no wrong and that the competition sucks, then you're a f'ing loser. It's funny and sad reading all of the stupid comments. Fanboys are one of the lowest forms of internet personality. They can't look at things rationally and objectively. They just say stupid things and embarrass themselves for the entire world to see, and act knowledgeable about things they know nothing about.

I'll sum up the negative posts: "Wah, we feel threatened because Apple is picking on Microsoft and their 90% marketshare! Macs suck! We hate competition... wah!"

samely

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
Apple wouldn't be around without Microsoft's investment of money and software. Always lame to see Apple attack them.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
lol... I just read the comment above me saying OS7/8/9 were crap. Compared to what? DOS? Windows 98 and below? I rarely had an application crash, and even more rarely had a system crash. I've used almost every Apple and Microsoft OS, and I'm not a retarded fanboy, so I can speak objectively about such things.

fooldog01

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2009
This is easily the most childish advertisement of the entire line and proves nothing except the arrogance of Apple. Just my take.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]Maxor127[/nom]lol... I just read the comment above me saying OS7/8/9 were crap. Compared to what? DOS? Windows 98 and below? I rarely had an application crash, and even more rarely had a system crash. I've used almost every Apple and Microsoft OS, and I'm not a retarded fanboy, so I can speak objectively about such things.[/citation]

The problem in the 7/8/9 days were that the system wasn't fast enough to ever get to the point where it would crash. Seriously, Netscape on a PowerMac with OS 9 would take like five minutes to load yahoo.com (back when it was the best search engine around). Those things were absolutely atrocious, it's no wonder they couldn't capture market share until they 'adopted' a boatload of open source code and re-thought their operating system entirely.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
It's funny. I do think that feature-specific ads are more effective. But this works...

They are taking advantage of a history of windows problems--ironically this is essentially the same strategy that Toyota/Honda use in going after American car companies...
No matter how many improvements are made neither american carmakers or windows can outgrow a legacy of poor reliability.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
[citation][nom]samely[/nom]Apple wouldn't be around without Microsoft's investment of money and software. Always lame to see Apple attack them.[/citation]

Wrong. This is true of some tech companies, but not Apple. They have been innovating from the beginning. (cept for that Xerox mouse idea) If anything Microsoft has learned more from Apple over the years.

tlmck

Distinguished
[citation][nom]96stangman[/nom]yep that shows why mac is the number one computer company in the world....... wait a minuet windows has 90 percent of computers ???[/citation]

Research shows that people with high IQ's only make up about 10% of the worlds population. If you add up the market share of Unix based desktops(OSX, Linux, etc.), you get about 10%.

dheadley

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
@smlong

you obviously don't watch many car commercials, because almost every one of them regardless of the manufacturer points out things they do better, like ten cup holders, and point out what the competition does bad or they all claim to be the best milage in their class or the most dependable, highest resale value, highest customer quality rating. They single out other makers cars by name and slam of them for anything they can get away with. Rare is the car company that just talks about their own merits without mentioning another car. Maybe the Subaru commercials that just like to show their cars getting dirty.

So what you are wanting is an end to the I'm a Mac commercials and would rather Apple just does commercials where they go on and on about how they beat out every other computer manufacturer in customer satisfaction rankings. Or how they have the highest ranked customer service of any computer manufacturer, and how they were given awards for doing more to become environmentally responsible than any other computer manufacturer. You know stuff like that.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
now that the thread with Apple haters was on tom`s can i say once again fuk apple and their commercials and perfect OS thinking without getting -20 ? Seriously how low can a company go with such advertising movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.