New MB and processor install: need to re-buy win 7?

discoslice

Honorable
Sep 18, 2014
So,

I already have a legit version of Win 7 (Upgrade) from Vista I've been using for years. I'm worried that when I install my new MSI motherboard (have a Gigabyte now) it will balk and want a whole new version of windows.

what can i do? I'm planning on Restoring everything via Acronis True Image once I get back up and running.

thanks.

Solution
All you need to do is uninstall the drivers and software that pertain to your old motherboard and then install the drivers and software for your new motherboard. You don't need to copy and paste any personal files and folders.

If you feel that a fresh installation of Windows would be beneficial, then ensure that your personal files and folders are backed-up first! Unless your disk usage is through the roof, I wouldn't worry about a fresh installation.

Thineswar

Reputable
Apr 6, 2015
It depends if you have a retail or OEM version of windows. If OEM, you would need to buy a new product key. If it is a retail version, you could uninstall in your Gigabyte motherboard and install it into your MSI motherboard.

But, you could also download (not legit) from the internet.

The only thing you need to do is reactivate Windows. Technically, if you have an OEM Windows license then you need to buy a new one, but it's possible to reactivate it and Microsoft accept that.

If this is the first time you've reactivated Windows then you should be fine with automatic activation. That said, if you do have to speak to a Microsoft rep, they're well within their rights to refuse you an activation code. It's entirely possible, but highly unlikely.

As you're restoring from an image, you only need the Windows 7 Upgrade license key.

discoslice

Honorable
Sep 18, 2014
Just chatted with Microsoft, they said my key will work fine on new motherboard :) But, the tech said, even though I have everything backed up with Acronis True Image, when I try to restore after a fresh Win7 installation, things may not work since I have a new MB in place.

is that true? he also suggested I format my SSD windows drive before re-install. is that suggested? I had a problem with a boot.pihar virus long ago and i think formatting might help.

Thineswar

Reputable
Apr 6, 2015

Copy and paste your files in another place if you're afraid of losing them.

All you need to do is uninstall the drivers and software that pertain to your old motherboard and then install the drivers and software for your new motherboard. You don't need to copy and paste any personal files and folders.

If you feel that a fresh installation of Windows would be beneficial, then ensure that your personal files and folders are backed-up first! Unless your disk usage is through the roof, I wouldn't worry about a fresh installation.

Solution