Question New motherboard in laptop and now there is no backlight ?

donalddeschamps

Honorable
Nov 26, 2018
I replaced the Motherboard in a Dell XPS 15 7590 laptop due to a spill. Booted great but display is faint. There is no Backlight. If you hold a flashlight to the monitor you can see the display. Was there a fuse on the old MOBO I was supposed to transfer to the new one, or did the display die when the spill occurred ?

Or is there more than one wiring harness that connects from the monitor to the mobo ... did I miss one (pretty sure I didn't) ?

I'm reading posts about no backlight and replacing the monitor screen, but that doesn't always fix the backlight problem.

Is the inverter board (part that control the backlight) separate or built-in?
dell.xps.15.7590.15.6.full.hd.laptop.screen01323FGH0L71IPSMQ0985.jpg

I replaced the Motherboard in a Dell XPS 15 7590 laptop due to a spill. Booted great but display is faint. There is no Backlight. If you hold a flashlight to the monitor you can see the display. Was there a fuse on the old MOBO I was supposed to transfer to the new one, or did the display die when the spill occurred ?
no fuse on mobo, around display should be small board which has inverter on it, that thing powers up your led backlight

Or is there more than one wiring harness that connects from the monitor to the mobo ... did I miss one (pretty sure I didn't) ?

I'm reading posts about no backlight and replacing the monitor screen, but that doesn't always fix the backlight problem.
between mainboard and display is lvds cable, it could be damaged, or wiring might be different than with your old mainboard (which would not power up inverter if its using different lvds pins), or inverter got damaged

donalddeschamps

Honorable
Nov 26, 2018
kerberos_20 said: "no fuse on mobo, around display should be small board which has inverter on it, that thing powers up your led backlight"

small little board ? 2 screw white port on it. transferred that

donalddeschamps

Honorable
Nov 26, 2018
no fuse on mobo, around display should be small board which has inverter on it, that thing powers up your led backlight

between mainboard and display is lvds cable, it could be damaged, or wiring might be different than with your old mainboard (which would not power up inverter if its using different lvds pins), or inverter got damaged
Could it be different even if it clips into the Mobo correcly?