axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
my wife and i recently moved into our in-law's place while we either build a new house or buy a new house. they have their original equipment from getting quest dsl a few years ago. it has one wired connection (for our two desktop pc's) and very limited wireless connectivity from the basement. my wife has a laptop, her brother has a laptop and her parents just bought a laptop. so we have very old network equipment and up to five computers trying to use it at the same time.

1. is there any reason to get a new MODEM?

2. how much will the speed of the dsl affect what wireless router equipment i should use (ex - getting n+ would be a waste of money because dsl will be slow no matter what etc.)

3. if i were to get a new wireless n+ router, would all of the computers have to also spend $70 to get new n+ improvements?

thanks so much for any help with this.

sturm

Splendid
Whether the router is N or G wont make a bit of difference when it comes to the internet as a dsl connection or even cable won't come close to filling either connection type. If you don't have N in any of the computers then get a G router as they are cheap these days.
Most N routers will do G just fine.

sturm

Splendid
A new modem MIGHT help a little but I doubt it. The only thing an N router will do is enable faster computer to computer transfers. Won't help with internet speed as that is set on the ISP side.

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
and it won't create a stronger signal so that we have fewer dead spots around the house either? i don't know why anyone would be anything but a g router then? what is the new technology useless and what is it being created for?

HeaVenS

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
more then likely the laptops have only G NICS, and its good because within the network you have speeds 3x as fast and 3x as far, the N may help with signal however, but you got to ask is it worth 30/40 more bucks for the router then 60/70 for each comp(guessing) NIC for less "dead spots" that may not be resolved