Question New parts in an old case.

Dec 4, 2019
I'm practically building a new machine, only keeping a few things like an optical drive, hdd, the case and it's fans, and a wifi adapter. I was reviewing the case manual in preparation and picked a sentence that gave me pause when it came to the front panel connectors: "Please select the motherboard which uses the same USB3.0, USB2.0, AC'97, HD audio standard as below, otherwise, it may cause damages to the device(s)."

I'll be frank, I'm very new at the nuance of hardware and this is my first pc build. I'm trying to compare between what I see in the case manual and the motherboard manual, but I'm not sure about what I'm seeing. Considering I think the case in question was originally launched in 2011, it's been a while and it seems like the standard mentioned above could well have changed.

The case in question is a Coolermaster 311 Elite (not the plus version). Following is a link to the case manual section in question, under the page Front Connector Installation Guide: https://mans.io/views2/1565069/page9/bg9.png

Here is everything I was planning on putting in this case:

Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8gb)
GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER Gaming X
PSU: Seasonic FOCUS GX-650 80+ Gold (Full Modular)
HDD: Western Digital Black 1tb
SDD: Western Digital BLACK SN750 NVMe M.2 2280 500GB

So... am I good? Or do I need to ask for affordable case recommendations?

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
iu

does you case have this cable for the front panel? if so its a universal (most should be) and can accept either standard. same cable, just wired differently.
this will only apply for the front panels if you can live without them, do not plug in either and keep the old case.
my 20 year old case just got a new motherboard and I only hookup the power switch. its the only one I really use anyhow.

Dec 4, 2019
The front panel has power, reset, mic in, audio out, and 2 USB2.0. Ideally I'd like to have all of them working, except reset because I never use that button anyway. Will look in my case to see if I can get a good look at it's front panel wires without disturbing them (the case is currently in use).

Edit: And here is a link for the motherbaord manual (should have had this here in the first place): https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7C02v1.3.pdf

I'm sadly no closer to understanding if they match up or don't than I was last night. Is it enough to say they're both USB2.0, or does there have to be more in common? Will update again when I can visibly look in my case. I will say according to the manual I definitely have that AC'97 cord in there.

Last edited:

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
this case only have usb 2.0 and audio connector on so if your board use usb 3.0 you wont be able to use it also plug in thehttps://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/legacy-products/cases/elite-311/#Specifications reset cable you will need it even if it does not been used for audio you have choice of ac97 or hd audio

Dec 4, 2019
I'm aware that I won't have front panel USB3.0 and I'm cool with that. I just want to make sure there isn't some age gap between my motherboard's plug ins and the USB2.0, audio/mic and power/reset on the case's front. It's sounding like I might be good?