Question New PC build hard drive disabled in bios

Feb 13, 2021
Hi

I just built my first PC and i have a slight problem. My hard drive is not working properly according to windows. In the bios it is disabled and i don't know how to enable it. My motherboard is an MSI b450 gaming plus max and it is connected to the hard drive with SATA. Bios can see it but it's disabled.

I downloaded the drivers from https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-GAMING-PLUS-MAX#down-bios. But for the sata drivers there is no application like the others to install the drivers, how do i install them ? I think this is the issue but could be wrong.

Windows device manager says i have the up to date drivers but in disk manager the hard drive is not there.

I appreciate any help.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2021
I’ll just do my full setup to give you a good idea.

ryzen 5 3600
Samsung 970 evo plus 500gb m.2 ssd
Seagate barracuda 1tb hdd
Msi b450 gaming plus max motherboard
Corsair vengence pro rgb 16gb 3600mhz ddr4
Gigabyte gtx 1660 super gpu
Corsair rm750 power supply
Corsair 4000d airflow case

in the bios it says disabled. I tried switching to raid mode but no luck there.

Feb 13, 2021
No hard drive is brand new. On windows when i go to create and format hard disk partition it doesn't show up. I am booting windows off my ssd in bios boot priority its UEFI but don't think the hard drive is.

Feb 13, 2021
I’ve hit another problem now. There was a driver update installed for my m.2 and now windows won’t boot. It’s saying inaccessible boot drive. I don’t know how to uninstall it.

doing a secure erase from the bios would work but it seems a bit extreme, what do i do ?

Feb 13, 2021
No it was a raid driver for the hard drive that for some reason applied to the m.2

I’ve tried repairing it and rolling back to an earlier version but it’s so new there’s nothing to roll back to.

I think secure erase is my only option so ?

Feb 13, 2021
No i just turned on raid mode and installed the raid drivers in hopes that windows would then recognize my hard drive. Looking back it was definitely a bad idea because now it can’t boot.

Feb 13, 2021
I’ll try that, i have to secure erase my ssd first so i can fix the boot issue then I’ll try other ports and if not then I’ll test on a different pc.

Do you know about secure erase ? I’ve read that sometimes it locks the ssd but I’m guessing since it’s new and I haven’t put a password on it that won’t happen ?

USAFRet

Titan
I’ll try that, i have to secure erase my ssd first so i can fix the boot issue then I’ll try other ports and if not then I’ll test on a different pc.

Do you know about secure erase ? I’ve read that sometimes it locks the ssd but I’m guessing since it’s new and I haven’t put a password on it that won’t happen ?
You don't need secure erase.
You don't need RAID enabled in the BIOS.

Reinstall on the SSD, with only the SSD connected.

Diagnose the HDD issue later.
One thing at a time.

Feb 13, 2021
Ok so I’ve fixed my boot issue now. And still my hard drive is disabled in bios. I checked my motherboard manual and it said sata ports 5&6 are disabled when m.2 is installed. I’ve already tried ports 1&2 with no joy.

I’m booting from my m.2 in UEFI would booting just from m.2 not UEFI possibly solve this ? And also would it affect booting if i change from UEFI ?

also I really appreciate you guys’ help so far!!

USAFRet

Titan
Ok so I’ve fixed my boot issue now. And still my hard drive is disabled in bios. I checked my motherboard manual and it said sata ports 5&6 are disabled when m.2 is installed. I’ve already tried ports 1&2 with no joy.

I’m booting from my m.2 in UEFI would booting just from m.2 not UEFI possibly solve this ? And also would it affect booting if i change from UEFI ?

also I really appreciate you guys’ help so far!!
You did a fresh install, with ONLY the M.2 drive connected?

1. Please give us a rundown of ALL the parts involved here. Make/model.
  2. Screencap of your current Disk Management window.

Feb 13, 2021
No i did secure erase, sorry i only saw your post after i had started the erase. I installed all drivers and windows again.

Specs are:
ryzen 5 3600
Samsung 970 evo plus 500gb m.2 ssd
Seagate barracuda 1tb hdd
Msi b450 gaming plus max motherboard
Corsair vengence pro rgb 16gb 3600mhz ddr4
Gigabyte gtx 1660 super gpu
Corsair rm750 power supply
Corsair 4000d airflow case

disk and partition manager: https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/540/8v8Edr.png

Disk manager with properties open: https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/5546/5O6WaR.png

I've tried sata ports 1&2 and its disabled but before it said my hard drive was not working in device manager whereas now it says it is working but till not recognized.

Feb 13, 2021
So i changed the cable and now sata port 1 is no longer disabled in bios but device manager and partition manager still look the same. I searched for driver updates but it says its up to date. Nevertheless it feels like progress.

Feb 13, 2021
So i updated my bios to see if that would change anything and it's still the same. I checked in bios and it's boot mode is legacy+UEFI. Not sure if that is related but thought i'd say it anyway.

Sata port one is disabled again.

I'm not sure what you mean about the jumpers ? Are you talking about the pins on the hard drive itself ?

USAFRet

Titan
So i updated my bios to see if that would change anything and it's still the same. I checked in bios and it's boot mode is legacy+UEFI. Not sure if that is related but thought i'd say it anyway.

Sata port one is disabled again.

I'm not sure what you mean about the jumpers ? Are you talking about the pins on the hard drive itself ?
'jumpers' should not be a thing.