Question New PC build, "Reboot and select proper boot device" error

Jun 29, 2019
I just finished my first PC build and when I went to turn on the PC i got the "Reboot select proper boot device" error.

I am using the HDD from my last computer which is recognized in the BIOS (the HDD has windows 10 installed to it). I made sure that the boot order is correct, and i have tried changing the "legacy + UEFI" option to just UEFI and back again. Nothing seems to be working. Anyone know what is going on or how to help?

throwawayaccnt

Reputable
Apr 20, 2016
I just fixed the same issue with a secondary system, dunno how attached you are to whatevers on that HDD but a clean wipe and re-installation of my OS fixed those issues and removed the boot error for me

throwawayaccnt

Reputable
Apr 20, 2016
I just fixed the same issue with a secondary system, dunno how attached you are to whatevers on that HDD but a clean wipe and re-installation of my OS fixed those issues and removed the boot error for me
To clarify a bit I was informed of hardware compatibility issues with drivers/software from the old motherboard/chip conflicting with the new hardware, clean installing remedied that for me

Jun 29, 2019
To clarify a bit I was informed of hardware compatibility issues with drivers/software from the old motherboard/chip conflicting with the new hardware, clean installing remedied that for me
I can't lose the info that is on that hdd. i have tried booting from an ISO of win10 on a flash drive to see if there is any possible way to get the hdd going but the usb isn't booting either.

Jun 29, 2019
I can't lose the info that is on that hdd. i have tried booting from an ISO of win10 on a flash drive to see if there is any possible way to get the hdd going but the usb isn't booting either.
BTW, if anyone is interested i figured out what the issue was. I had bitlockered my drive and since i switched over from a dell to a custom build, the hdd didnt recognize the TPM. I had to put it back on my old pc, decrypt it, and then hook it back up to the new pc and it worked fined.

TRENDING THREADS