Question New PC freezes when running games

Tehbestshot

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2013
I built a new gaming PC, every time I play a game it freezes after about 10 minutes or so and I have to restart my PC. It seems fine when I idle or just use google/youtube. I've made sure my drivers are up to date, checked the memory, checked temps GPU was at 71c and CPU was 57c on last freeze. I have 3 corsair 120mm fans in the front for intake and 3 on my radiator for exhaust. I've scanned my SSD to make sure files are good. I'm not sure what else to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

SPECS
CPU: I7 12700K
MOBO: ASUS STRIX Z690-A WIFI D4
GPU: ASUS STRIX 3080 10GB
PSU: CORSAIR 850W
SSD: SAMSUNG QVO 2TB
COOLER: CORSAIR H150i
CASE: ASUS STRIX HELIOS

I built a new gaming PC, every time I play a game it freezes after about 10 minutes or so and I have to restart my PC. It seems fine when I idle or just use google/youtube. I've made sure my drivers are up to date, checked the memory, checked temps GPU was at 71c and CPU was 57c on last freeze. I have 3 corsair 120mm fans in the front for intake and 3 on my radiator for exhaust. I've scanned my SSD to make sure files are good. I'm not sure what else to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

SPECS
CPU: I7 12700K
MOBO: ASUS STRIX Z690-A WIFI D4
GPU: ASUS STRIX 3080 10GB
PSU: CORSAIR 850W
SSD: SAMSUNG QVO 2TB
COOLER: CORSAIR H150i
CASE: ASUS STRIX HELIOS
Is it only one game doing this?

If overclocking the cpu bring it back to stock speed.....test.
If using xmp turn it off....test.

Tehbestshot

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2013
Go to the mobo site and get the proper bios and drivers.....test.
It has something to do with my 3080. Swapped it out for a 1070 and it's running fine now. Any idea why the 3080 would cause crashes? I have it vertically mounted if that may play into it. (I mounted my 1070 vertically also). I got the new BIOS and Drivers installed. Still freezes after playing a game for about 5-10 mins

Last edited:
It has something to do with my 3080. Swapped it out for a 1070 and it's running fine now. Any idea why the 3080 would cause crashes? I have it vertically mounted if that may play into it. (I mounted my 1070 vertically also). I got the new BIOS and Drivers installed. Still freezes after playing a game for about 5-10 mins
Can you mount the 3080 in the normal fashion just to test?

Tehbestshot

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2013
Can you mount the 3080 in the normal fashion just to test?
Took out the GPU riser cable and mounted it normally onto motherboard PCIe slot and it seems to be doing fine. Ran Heaven bench mark fine ( it froze before). Played elden ring for about 30-40 minutes, all with no freezes. Not really sure why it never crossed my mind to mount it normally. Thanks so much for all the help, was getting frustrating not being able to use my new PC.