Question New PC is slow/non-responsive ?

Feb 20, 2023
I recently upgraded my PC with all new parts, I got:

GPU: MSI 3070ti
CPU: Ryzen 9 7900x
PSU: Corsair RM1000x
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2 x 16gb DDR5
MOBO: MSI Pro B650-P
SSD: Samsung 980 Pro Gen 4

I kept my old SSD as well until I could move everything over to my new SSD, however I've been having multiple problems. On first boot I got a CPU overheat warning but was able to finally get into my pc and install Ryzen master and my cpu temp was sitting at 95c. I read that the 7k series is suppose to run at 95c. It kept crashing at first but I was able to optimize it through Ryzen master and it stopped crashing but the PC itself feels sluggish like it's trying to do too much at once. Day 2 once I boot the PC up I can't open any applications. When I double click an application nothing happens, I can't even turn the pc off or restart it or Control alt delete, I have to hold the power button down to turn it off. Any thoughts on this? I'm not sure if it's a connection issue with the cpu to mobo or if it's overheating but not crashing.

I recently upgraded my PC with all new parts, I got:

GPU: MSI 3070ti
CPU: Ryzen 9 7900x
PSU: Corsair RM1000x
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2 x 16gb DDR5
MOBO: MSI Pro B650-P
SSD: Samsung 980 Pro Gen 4

I kept my old SSD as well until I could move everything over to my new SSD, however I've been having multiple problems. On first boot I got a CPU overheat warning but was able to finally get into my pc and install Ryzen master and my cpu temp was sitting at 95c. I read that the 7k series is suppose to run at 95c. It kept crashing at first but I was able to optimize it through Ryzen master and it stopped crashing but the PC itself feels sluggish like it's trying to do too much at once. Day 2 once I boot the PC up I can't open any applications. When I double click an application nothing happens, I can't even turn the pc off or restart it or Control alt delete, I have to hold the power button down to turn it off. Any thoughts on this? I'm not sure if it's a connection issue with the cpu to mobo or if it's overheating but not crashing.
Do a clean Windows 11 installation first What was it originally installed on ?
What are you cooling it with ? Just because it can work UP TO 95c it doesn't mean it should, that'sjust bad throttling point not a must. Cooler installation may be tricky with a cooler not specifically made for it.

KyaraM

Admirable
It's supposed to run at up to 95°C... under heavy load, not at idle. If you get a warning at first boot, the PC crashes and it doesn't run smoothly, that means it throttles hard and you got a temperature issue.

My money is on a bad cooler installation here. What cooler do you have? Uninstall it and check how good or bad contact with the CPU is. Maybe take a picture and post it here. Use fresh thermal paste for the new cooler installation. Tighten the screws slowly in an x fashion, eg upper left, then lower right corner, upper right then lower left, but only a few turns at a time. Then rinse and repeat until the cooler is snug. Don't overdo it, though. If unsure, warch a video, there are several on YouTube.

Also check if you removed the plastic film some coolers have over the block that connects to the CPU.