New PC, Monitor displays "No Signal", VGA LED is red.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KiraKrysis

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
Please help with video card/system question.

Just bought a new computer.

The specs are:
Corsair Carbide 300R Mid-Tower Gaming Case
CD: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-3770K 3.50 GHz 8MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1155
FAN: Thermaltake Water 2.0 Performer Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator
HDD: 2TB (2TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD
HDD2: 64GB SanDisk SATA III 6.0Gb/s SSD - 490 MB/s Read & 240 MB/s Write
IUSB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
MEMORY: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/2133MHz Dual Channel Memory (G.SKILL Ripjaws X)
MONITOR: * 24" Widescreen 1920x1080 ASUS VS247H-P LCD
MOTHERBOARD: [CrossFireX/SLI] ASUS Sabertooth Z77 Intel Z77 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ Lucid Virtu MVP, TUF Thermal Armor, 7.1 HD Audio, Intel GbLAN, Display Port, 3x PCIe x16 (2 Gen3, 1 Gen2) & 3x PCIe x1
NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
OVERCLOCK: No Overclocking
POWERSUPPLY: 1,000 Watts - Cooler Master Silent Pro Gaming 80 Plus Power Supply
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
VIDEO: AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card (Major Brand Powered by AMD)

When I got the computer I took it out of the box, took off the case cover and made sure all the connections were secure, after that I tried hooking it up to my monitor and got a "No signal" message on the monitor, but everything else in the computer was running. (No windows was not booting, no the computer did not turn off itself after any amount of time, and yes the video card was connected to the powersupply properly and the video card fan was spinning.) It just sat there with the no signal message on the monitor and the red LED light on the PCI-E slot of the motherboard active so I investigated.

First I called cyberpower tech support and told them what was happening. They had me re-seat the connections, RAM, and video card. That did not solve the problem. They said that they think the video card was DOA because I tested the computer with my old video card (Nvidia 9800 GTX+) and everything worked perfectly.

I researched to find out that there was issues with the ASUS Sabertooth Z77 and some video cards causing the red LED light on the first PCI-E slot to be activated indicating a "VGA error". This was a BIOS bug. So I flashed my BIOS to the latest version (1708) people have said this fixes the red LED no signal issue, but the problem continues for me.

Can anyone help me with this problem?

UPDATE: Tested integrated graphics, they work fine.

MC_K7

Distinguished
What cable are you using? Since you have a very nice card (7970) it probably comes with many different outputs (DVI, displayport, HDMI). Did you try every outputs? VGA is probably the worst you can use since all the others should give you a better image quality. Most monitors also switch between inputs automatically, but on some of them it needs to be done manually. If it doesn't work after that yeah the card is probably DOA so just RMA it or the whole computer.

chugot9218

Honorable
If those troubleshooting steps did not solve your problem, it is probably the GPU. At least you made it through to their tech support, I think that puts you ahead of the curve already, just have them replace the GPU. This is why many do not trust the pre-builders, another poster on here found his GPU floating free inside the case not plugged into anything... Makes me wonder if they even test the damn things before shipping out.

KiraKrysis

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012

No I do not believe they do, I believe the hard drives have windows already pre-installed, i'm pretty sure they just turn it on to make sure everything powers up. Their support has been good for me so far, everything was connected fine when I got the PC... I guess it was already dead when it was put in the PC or died from transit. Its weird that everyone says they have bad support, every time I call they're very helpful and I never have to wait for over 10 minutes.

Anyways back to the issue... The PC is running perfectly fine with my really old graphics card installed (Nvidia 9800 GTX+)... LOL. I know its a dinosaur but I'm just using it from my 5 year old desktop to make sure everything else is ok. So far the only problem ive had was with the 7970.

KiraKrysis

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012

Thanks for the info. I've also plugged the card into a different computer and got a post-boot beep with 2 beeps after, I'm assuming that means VGA component failure for that specific motherboard.

KiraKrysis

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012

Yeah they're sending the new one already, they said it should be shipped out tonight, but i'll call just to make sure they actually send it tonight. Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.