[SOLVED] New PC screen going black when playing games [GPU died]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 6, 2021
Hi everyone,

I'm at my wit ends. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I worry it's a HW issue and if it is, I'd like to start the return process asap. All parts were purchased in the last 30 days or so.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions or require more info.

• During the build I installed the newest MTB chipset, Audio drivers
System:

• Win10 pro
  • AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
  • CRYORIG M9a 48.4 CFM CPU Cooler
  • MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
  • Crucial Ballistix 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory
  • Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
  • Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8 GB EAGLE OC Video Card
  • Antec NeoECO Gold ZEN 600 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply
  • Using GeForce experience
Behavior:
  • System works fine under normal workloads
  • Build 2 new identical PCs and one is having an issue where the screen goes black when playing a game (Control, Valheim) after about 10 or so minutes of play. This varies, sometimes the screen goes black immediately after I try to continue my game (e.g Valheim crashed in the menu already). Sometimes I'm able to play a few minutes before crashing.
  • The PC was working I'd say flawlessly for 5 days, issues started on the 6th day (was playing the above mentioned games without issues).
  • The screen goes black and usually the PC doesn't restart by itself, so I have to do a hard reboot.
  • Once my PC rebooted after the crash and I got "The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000119" in the event viewer
What I've tried
  • DDU in safe mode
  • Downgrading drivers (tried 471.96 and 472.12)
  • chkdsk
  • disabling Display Fusion
  • Running FurMark, 3DMark, CPU Burn-in tests
Next steps I'm considering
  • Updating the BIOS
  • Re-seating the GPU
  • Swapping the GPU from the other PC
Screenshots

Apologies if I'm posting unnecessary info.​
Benchmark & HW screenshots (Link to Imgur album) - Below including IMO most important ones, Imgur album contains running processes, Windows Updates
HWinfo During Furmark:
IYzpzUG.png
R1jRdTY.png
2Q5fVdC.png
o2t9owU.jpg
CxFNji1.png

oQRLmY1.png

Again, thanks heaps in advance. 🙏

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I'm at my wit ends. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I worry it's a HW issue and if it is, I'd like to start the return process asap. All parts were purchased in the last 30 days or so.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions or require more info.

• During the build I installed the newest MTB chipset, Audio drivers
System:

• Win10 pro
  • AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
  • CRYORIG M9a 48.4 CFM CPU Cooler
  • MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
  • Crucial Ballistix 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory
  • Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
  • Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8 GB EAGLE OC Video Card
  • Antec NeoECO Gold ZEN 600 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply
  • Using GeForce experience
Behavior:
  • System works fine under normal workloads
  • Build 2 new identical PCs and one is having an issue where the screen goes black when playing a game (Control, Valheim) after about 10 or so minutes of play. This varies, sometimes the screen goes black immediately after I try to continue my game (e.g Valheim crashed in the menu already). Sometimes I'm able to play a few minutes before crashing.
  • The PC was working I'd say flawlessly for 5 days, issues started on the 6th day (was playing the above mentioned games without issues).
  • The screen goes black and usually the PC doesn't restart by itself, so I have to do a hard reboot.
  • Once my PC rebooted after the crash and I got "The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000119" in the event viewer
What I've tried
  • DDU in safe mode
  • Downgrading drivers (tried 471.96 and 472.12)
  • chkdsk
  • disabling Display Fusion
  • Running FurMark, 3DMark, CPU Burn-in tests
Next steps I'm considering
  • Updating the BIOS
  • Re-seating the GPU
  • Swapping the GPU from the other PC
Screenshots

Apologies if I'm posting unnecessary info.​
Benchmark & HW screenshots (Link to Imgur album) - Below including IMO most important ones, Imgur album contains running processes, Windows Updates
HWinfo During Furmark:
IYzpzUG.png
R1jRdTY.png
2Q5fVdC.png
o2t9owU.jpg
CxFNji1.png

oQRLmY1.png

Again, thanks heaps in advance. 🙏
try this step by step (read until end):
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall gpu driver DDU (no safe mode needed, clean and do not restart).
  • Perform NVFlash your gpu bios
    Tutorial:
    View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8maQUEbalQ

Bios File: https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/235204/gigabyte-rtx3060ti-8192-210526

After that exit the cmd, and proceed the next step below

• Uninstall all the processors on device manager (should be 12 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no) like this:
    unknown.png

• Uninstall AMD Chipset Driver in Control Panel (skip if there is none)

• Restart the pc to bios, and update to the latest bios. Then go to bios again after update and load default or optimized settings.

• boot up to windows and install the latest AMD Chipset driver, reboot and connect to internet.

• Install the latest nvidia driver.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did) and make sure ram is on slot 2 and 4 if you use 2 sticks. Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• And check windows update (and optional updates) if there is any and install them (except chipset in optional update). Also enable Hardware Accelerated Graphics Scheduling (available on the latest win 10 update) in graphics settings like this and reboot:
    unknown.png
Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
unknown.png

Oct 6, 2021
Hi @Koekieezz,

Thanks a lot for the detailed guide.

I followed all steps:

• Disconnected from the internet
  • Used DDU
  • Flashed new GPU BIOS (was already on the latest one, but still flashed it)
  • Uninstalled all CPUs
  • Flashed latest BIOS (was already on the latest one, but still flashed it)
  • Uninstalled the AMD chipset driver
  • Enabled WiFi
  • Installed latest NVIDIA driver (not experience)
  • Installed optional Win updates
  • Enabled HW accelerated GPU setting in Windows
fvjtYUC.png

Regrettably, started Control and it crashed again after about 20s.

Possibly related event log entry:

Faulting application name: dwm.exe, version: 10.0.19041.746, time stamp: 0x6be51595
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.19041.1202, time stamp: 0xc9db1934
Exception code: 0xe0464645
Fault offset: 0x000000000010be3e
Faulting process id: 0x230
Faulting application start time: 0x01d7bb4b454be3e3
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\system32\dwm.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 38fb7b70-b736-4ccb-8752-932ebaa10714
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Anything else you think I should try?

Thanks

Hi @Koekieezz,

Thanks a lot for the detailed guide.

I followed all steps:

• Disconnected from the internet
  • Used DDU
  • Flashed new GPU BIOS (was already on the latest one, but still flashed it)
  • Uninstalled all CPUs
  • Flashed latest BIOS (was already on the latest one, but still flashed it)
  • Uninstalled the AMD chipset driver
  • Enabled WiFi
  • Installed latest NVIDIA driver (not experience)
  • Installed optional Win updates
  • Enabled HW accelerated GPU setting in Windows
fvjtYUC.png

Regrettably, started Control and it crashed again after about 20s.

Possibly related event log entry:

Faulting application name: dwm.exe, version: 10.0.19041.746, time stamp: 0x6be51595
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.19041.1202, time stamp: 0xc9db1934
Exception code: 0xe0464645
Fault offset: 0x000000000010be3e
Faulting process id: 0x230
Faulting application start time: 0x01d7bb4b454be3e3
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\system32\dwm.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 38fb7b70-b736-4ccb-8752-932ebaa10714
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Anything else you think I should try?

Thanks
Hmm, it could be because the game it self or the windows it self, tried SFC yet? also reinstalling the game?

Well if you don't mind to, clean install the windows (choose custom, and delete the windows,msr, system reserverd partition on the ssd, click on that unallocated space, and click next), after you installed the windows just dont connect to internet yet, install amd chipset driver and reboot, then install gpu drivers, and the rest.

It is best to download windows .iso using google chrome or itnernet download manager. and burn it to flash drive using rufus, on GPT - UEFI.

Procedure should be this
Dont connect to internet -> Install windows -> Install AMD Chipset driver and reboot -> Nvidia driver -> and the rest is up to you.

Don't forget when you're about to install windows go to bios and disable launch csm (disable any csm/legacy option), and proceed installing windows.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2021
Hi @Koekieezz,

Thanks a lot for the continuous support.

I ran sfc before, but did it again without any issues found:

iICCEm4.png

I'll do this on the weekend. My plan:

1. Take out the GPU/put it back in
  2. Try reproducing the issue
  3. I'll try a clean install of windows with only necessary drivers to run the game and try to reproduce the issue again with the original GPU
  4. Swap the GPU from the working PC
  5. Try reproducing the issue
  6. If the other GPU works I'd assume that confirms it's a HW issue with the GPU
  7. If the bahaviour is the same on both GPUs then it's either a HW issue with this one build
  8. If no luck and the issue persists I'll try the "faulty" GPU in the PC where everything works
  9. I can theoretically swap components one-by-one if there is no pattern but I assume the issue is GPU related and above steps will pinpoint it (I rather not swap CPUs. not keen on removing and reapplying thermal paste)
Those are the only things I can think of to try. If there is something else I'm all ears.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Hi @Koekieezz,

Thanks a lot for the continuous support.

I ran sfc before, but did it again without any issues found:

iICCEm4.png

I'll do this on the weekend. My plan:

1. Take out the GPU/put it back in
  2. Try reproducing the issue
  3. I'll try a clean install of windows with only necessary drivers to run the game and try to reproduce the issue again with the original GPU
  4. Swap the GPU from the working PC
  5. Try reproducing the issue
  6. If the other GPU works I'd assume that confirms it's a HW issue with the GPU
  7. If the bahaviour is the same on both GPUs then it's either a HW issue with this one build
  8. If no luck and the issue persists I'll try the "faulty" GPU in the PC where everything works
  9. I can theoretically swap components one-by-one if there is no pattern but I assume the issue is GPU related and above steps will pinpoint it (I rather not swap CPUs. not keen on removing and reapplying thermal paste)
Those are the only things I can think of to try. If there is something else I'm all ears.

Thanks again.
goodluck on doing it :D

Oct 6, 2021
If anyone is curious, currently going thru this:

1. Take out the GPU/put it back in (done)
  2. Changed PCI express cable (done)
  3. Try reproducing the issue (done: issue persists)
  4. Removed unnecessary Realtek Audio drivers (done)
  5. I'll try a clean install of windows with only necessary drivers to run the game and try to reproduce the issue again with the original GPU (done: issue persists)
    STOPPED here, GPU died, PC won't boot, VGA LED fault on the MTB_
  6. Swap the GPU from the working PC
  7. Try reproducing the issue
  8. If the other GPU works I'd assume that confirms it's a HW issue with the GPU
  9. If the bahaviour is the same on both GPUs then it's either a HW issue with this one build
  10. If no luck and the issue persists I'll try the "faulty" GPU in the PC where everything works
  11. I can theoretically swap components one-by-one if there is no pattern but I assume the issue is GPU related and above steps will pinpoint it (I rather not swap CPUs. not keen on removing and reapplying thermal paste)
Wish me luck

Last edited:
Reactions: Koekieezz
Oct 6, 2021
Hi anyone following,

It seems like the GPU died completely. with the PC not booting and the boot sequence check stopping at the VGA check:

0gzFxzz.png

I initiated a return process with the shop.

Hope the information in this thread might help alerting other users of signs their GPU is slowly dying, but I sure hope no one's does.

Thanks again @Koekieezz for the help,

Have a good one,
r3pli3s

Reactions: Koekieezz
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS