Question new PC will not recognize 4070 ti super

Jun 15, 2024
Hi everyone. After about 24 hours of troubleshooting I turn to you for help. New build, I've gotten the PC to post, and i've installed windows 11. The only way the PC works is if the monitor is plugged in via HDMI to the mobo. When I plug the gpu into my monitor the PC will not post. It shows white VGA light. Device manager does not show the GPU, nor does BIOS. It's hard to believe the GPU failed, because how am I even using the computer without it. As far as I know ryzen does not have integrated graphics. I will post specs below.

ryzen 7800x3d
asus rog tuf 4070 ti super
noctua nhd15s
crucial 4th gen ssd
phantek g500a
corsair gt 1000w power supply
alienware 1440p monitor

I did not have the easiest time putting it all together. Was so much easier on my last build (1060). Damn GPU is so large, working within the case not as easy as it used to be. Please help me. I bent the bracket a bit on the GPU trying to get it to fit properly so don't want to try and return this. I'm an IT guy by trade and this is not my first build. I cannot install nvidia drivers manually nor can I install geforce experience. It tells me nvida gpu is required. I've tried both PCIE slots. I've tried BIOS update, CMOS removal/ reset. Windows 11 is up to date. It is killing me to have this much money sitting around wasted. I guess I could bend the bracket back and return this to amazon but man. After 24 hours of working on this I'm about done. Any help is much appreciated.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I'm an IT guy by trade and this is not my first build.
This i find hard to believe, since;
As far as I know ryzen does not have integrated graphics.
You did not look the specs of your CPU when you bought it? :mouais: Did you just buy the CPU based on cool sounding name?

The only way the PC works is if the monitor is plugged in via HDMI to the mobo.
Would you kindly tell, from where the image comes from, when your build "does not have integrated graphics"? :rolleyes:

corsair gt 1000w power supply
This thing does not exist.

Either you have Corsair RM/RMe/RMx/HX/HXi/AX or SF-L 1000W unit,
or
EVGA SuperNova GT 1000W unit.

So, which one is it?

And these three (among other things you wrote), do not tell that you are an "IT guy" who has built more than 1 build.

because how am I even using the computer without it.
iGPU can be used just fine to boot, web browsing and office work. Dedicated GPU is needed for gaming and 3D render. But you can do 3D render with CPU as well, it just takes more time. So, dedicated GPU is essentially for gaming only. And if to be precise, light games do work on iGPU, whereby "normal" games would only require dedicated GPU.

I did not have the easiest time putting it all together.
So, no breadboarding what-so-ever? To make sure the CPU-MoBo-RAM-GPU combo works, before putting all of it into the PC case? :unsure:

Device manager does not show the GPU, nor does BIOS.
You did connect the PCI-E power cable to the GPU, right?

If so, then symptoms point towards dead GPU.

Btw, what MoBo you have? Since you didn't list this crucial part of your build.

I've tried both PCIE slots. I've tried BIOS update, CMOS removal/ reset. Windows 11 is up to date.
Have you tried with 2nd, known to work GPU?

Also, have you tried your RTX 4070 Ti Super in 2nd PC? To see if the symptoms are the same?

I bent the bracket a bit on the GPU trying to get it to fit properly
I'm a bit lost with this one. Why do you need to bend the PCI bracket? Is your PC case really that poorly designed that the PCI bracket doesn't align with MoBo PCI-E x16 sockets?
Last i checked, Phanteks made good PC cases. :unsure: Well thought out, without alignment issues.

Last edited:

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
It's hard to believe the GPU failed, because how am I even using the computer without it. As far as I know ryzen does not have integrated graphics.
The chiplet-based Ryzen CPUs did not have integrated graphics, until the 7000 generation (AM5 socket). Now, they have a tiny iGPU with only 2 compute units, located in the IO Die.

4Z58vQfQz2bMeAdDtvgSW8.jpg

Source: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/a...-zen-4-ryzen-7000-specifications-and-features

It's not good for anything more than basic desktop graphics, but it's useful in a pinch (like you are right now).

BTW, I'd agree with @Aeacus that you definitely want to check the supplemental power cable between your PSU and GPU.

Obviously, make sure the GPU is inserted properly, including that little extra tab at the end. Make sure there's not some plastic cover preventing proper & complete insertion or that the latch isn't getting in the way. Your mention of bending the metal bracket of the GPU suggests this might be the problem.

Whenever I find I need to force something, I do the following:
  1. Stop.
  2. Take a good look at what's trying to insert where.
  3. Look at all the other parts and spaces involved in the situation.
  4. Gently try again, paying attention to where the resistance is coming from.
  5. If it's still not fitting properly, go to #2, with the information you gained from step #4, and repeat.

Good luck!

Jun 15, 2024
The chiplet-based Ryzen CPUs did not have integrated graphics, until the 7000 generation (AM5 socket). Now, they have a tiny iGPU with only 2 compute units, located in the IO Die.
4Z58vQfQz2bMeAdDtvgSW8.jpg

It's not good for anything more than basic desktop graphics, but it's useful in a pinch (like you are right now).

BTW, I'd agree with @Aeacus that you definitely want to check the supplemental power cable between your PSU and GPU.

Obviously, make sure the GPU is inserted properly, including that little extra tab at the end. Make sure there's not some plastic cover preventing proper & complete insertion or that the latch isn't getting in the way. Your mention of bending the metal bracket of the GPU suggests this might be the problem.

Whenever I find I need to force something, I do the following:
  1. Stop.
  2. Take a good look at what's trying to insert where.
  3. Look at all the other parts and spaces involved in the situation.
  4. Gently try again, paying attention to where the resistance is coming from.
  5. If it's still not fitting properly, go to #2, with the information you gained from step #4, and repeat.

Good luck!
hey thank you for the reply. It did not seem like it was in quite right due to alignment and it was infact only 50% powered. It did click in/ latch however did not really seem quite right. I removed the metal bracket, inserted it all the way, powered it completely which i was not doing at first. Performed several other steos CMOS cycle etc. Still no luck. I put my 1060 in that slot and it works fine. I am thinking I need to return this GPU. I've confirmed every other component is OK other than the GPU. I've put the GPU in every which way I can. Bracket, no bracket, both PCI slots. If you have other ideas I'm open but I think this GPU is dead. Maybe I killed it, I can admit that is a possibility. Side note I am not super impressed with this phantek g500a. The fans were not daisy chained correctly from factory and my 4070 doesn't fit in it quite right.

Reactions: bit_user

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
powered it completely which i was not doing at first.
I'm not sure what you mean by this statement, but you do really want to make sure you're completely shutting off power to the PC when working inside of it. That means either hitting the hard switch on the PSU, itself, or just yanking the AC plug.

I prefer the former, because having the AC plug going to the wall means I can ground myself by touching the frame of the case.

Reactions: frustratedjim24
Jun 15, 2024
I'm not sure what you mean by this statement, but you do really want to make sure you're completely shutting off power to the PC when working inside of it. That means either hitting the hard switch on the PSU, itself, or just yanking the AC plug.

I prefer the former, because having the AC plug going to the wall means I can ground myself by touching the frame of the case.
what I mean is I only had one VGA cable going to it. It requires two (it uses this splitter thing). I've fixed it, It now has all the power it wants but still no luck for me.

Reactions: bit_user

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
So, the GPU is DOA (Dead On Arrival). It happens. That's why brand new hardware comes with warranty.

Either return it and get your money back, or RMA it under warranty for repair/replacement by Asus.