Question New processor, old motherboard

Jun 3, 2019
Hi,
My laptop died, so I decided to get my old desktop out of storage. I had it custom built about 10 years ago to be a pretty decent budget gamer for the time. Back then I mostly used it for playing Sims 3 and Unreal Tournament. I still love games, but now I also need to do a lot of media editing for my wedding video business, so I wanted to make the computer faster. I bought an SSD to swap out the HDD, and a faster processor, the AMD FX-8350, but I'm now concerned my old motherboard may not cope with the new processor. The motherboard's an ASRock G31M-GS.
Any advice would be welcome.

That appears to be an Intel board and not an AMD.

That CPU will definately NOT work with that motherboard. If you want an AMD system, I recommend getting a Ryzen processor, compatable motherboard and DDR4 ram, instead of the FX-8350 CPU. That wasn't very good when it first came out, and is blown out of the water performance-wise by the new Zen architecture.

Jun 3, 2019
Oops! Rookie error getting my Intel and AMD mixed up. Thanks for the advice. Luckily I've not opened the box yet, so hopefully I can send it back for something more suitable. What would you suggest instead? I'd like to get away with not changing the motherboard if I can, but if I have to what would be the best combo on a limited budget? I guess I would say I can only spend about £100 total, or is it even worth it at all? My current processor is 2.33GHz Intel core 2 quad.