Dino_Saur

Commendable
Mar 17, 2020
Hi, my old PSU died so I bought a Cooler Master V1000 80+ Gold psu from a retail store.

Everything worked fine for the first few hours and I even played a few games without any problems, but then when I was on google chrome (barely any load on the system) the monitor said it lost signal. I tried pressing the rest button but nothing happened, so I tried to force shut down by holding the power button for 10-15 seconds but nothing happened. There was no light blinking on the 'load', however all components seemed to be running (as all rgb lights were on and the fans were spinning)

I had to turn it off from the PSU switch. I waited for a few minutes and then turned it on again. It took longer than usual but it got through post and it didn't have any problems for the rest of the day.

The next day, I turned it on in the morning and I was idling and then the monitor suddenly says it lost the signal. However a few seconds later the pc was rebooting. Then a few mins later it again repeated that but this time, it didn't reboot. So I switched it off and changed the HDMI cable and opened the case window. The pc then successful rebooted and I used it continuously for 11hrs: doing work, gaming, etc without any problems. I later did close the case and didn't face any issues.

However again today this problem happened! This time with the case open! It has already happened 2 times today! I think it is a power supply issue.

Before I return to the retail store, I wanted to confirm with you guys whether it is a PSU issue or could it be another component.

My specs:

Ryzen 5 1600X @ Stock
Corsair 16gb 3000mhz ram (1x16)
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080
AsRock X370 killer sil/AC motherboard
And of course: Cooler master V1000 80+ Gold psu

Thank you very much!

Solution
That Cooler master model was released about 8 years ago, and it's likely it hasn't been manufactured at all in more than five or six years, so if you bought that "new", you were buying NOS (New old stock) which means it's been either sitting on a shelf somewhere for a very long time, or it wasn't new at all and was actually a used part, which is the more likely truth.

Even if the unit WAS new, not used, it has probably been sitting around for five years or more and in that time it's possible for there to have been some degradation of the capacitors inside even if it was never in use. Or, considering the relatively great distance from where you are to the closest Seasonic manufacturing facility, since that is who built those V1000 Gold...
That Cooler master model was released about 8 years ago, and it's likely it hasn't been manufactured at all in more than five or six years, so if you bought that "new", you were buying NOS (New old stock) which means it's been either sitting on a shelf somewhere for a very long time, or it wasn't new at all and was actually a used part, which is the more likely truth.

Even if the unit WAS new, not used, it has probably been sitting around for five years or more and in that time it's possible for there to have been some degradation of the capacitors inside even if it was never in use. Or, considering the relatively great distance from where you are to the closest Seasonic manufacturing facility, since that is who built those V1000 Gold units for Cooler master, it could certainly have been damaged at any point while being shipped from place to place. One decent drop from the top of a pallet on some shipping container or truck is about all it would take to create a problem.

If you didn't have ANY similar problems before replacing the power supply and you are 100% sure everything is connected correctly, then there's a very good chance that the power supply is to blame HOWEVER there is every possibility that it is something else.

What led you to believe that your old power supply had failed?

Personally, I'd recommend returning that unit anyhow, and getting something that isn't 8 years old, or at least six years outdated. 8 years ago that was a very good unit. These days, given the age of it, not so much.

Also, you don't need anywhere near 1000w. For your system a high quality 550-650w unit is more than plenty for a GTX 1080 and the rest of your system.

Solution
Hi, my old PSU died so I bought a Cooler Master V1000 80+ Gold psu from a retail store.

Everything worked fine for the first few hours and I even played a few games without any problems, but then when I was on google chrome (barely any load on the system) the monitor said it lost signal. I tried pressing the rest button but nothing happened, so I tried to force shut down by holding the power button for 10-15 seconds but nothing happened. There was no light blinking on the 'load', however all components seemed to be running (as all rgb lights were on and the fans were spinning)

I had to turn it off from the PSU switch. I waited for a few minutes and then turned it on again. It took longer than usual but it got through post and it didn't have any problems for the rest of the day.

The next day, I turned it on in the morning and I was idling and then the monitor suddenly says it lost the signal. However a few seconds later the pc was rebooting. Then a few mins later it again repeated that but this time, it didn't reboot. So I switched it off and changed the HDMI cable and opened the case window. The pc then successful rebooted and I used it continuously for 11hrs: doing work, gaming, etc without any problems. I later did close the case and didn't face any issues.

However again today this problem happened! This time with the case open! It has already happened 2 times today! I think it is a power supply issue.

Before I return to the retail store, I wanted to confirm with you guys whether it is a PSU issue or could it be another component.

My specs:

Ryzen 5 1600X @ Stock
Corsair 16gb 3000mhz ram (1x16)
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080
AsRock X370 killer sil/AC motherboard
And of course: Cooler master V1000 80+ Gold psu

Thank you very much!

Sounds like a motherboard issue.

I agree. Or a graphics card problem. It really doesn't sound like a PSU issue, but if you didn't have the problem before and you have it now, seems like a good idea to go after the new kid in class first. Would be weird given the symptoms, but we've seen weirder things before.

Dino_Saur

Commendable
Mar 17, 2020

Even if the unit WAS new, not used, it has probably been sitting around for five years or more and in that time it's possible for there to have been some degradation of the capacitors inside even if it was never in use. Or, considering the relatively great distance from where you are to the closest Seasonic manufacturing facility, since that is who built those V1000 Gold units for Cooler master, it could certainly have been damaged at any point while being shipped from place to place. One decent drop from the top of a pallet on some shipping container or truck is about all it would take to create a problem.

If you didn't have ANY similar problems before replacing the power supply and you are 100% sure everything is connected correctly, then there's a very good chance that the power supply is to blame HOWEVER there is every possibility that it is something else.

What led you to believe that your old power supply had failed?

Personally, I'd recommend returning that unit anyhow, and getting something that isn't 8 years old, or at least six years outdated. 8 years ago that was a very good unit. These days, given the age of it, not so much.

Also, you don't need anywhere near 1000w. For your system a high quality 550-650w unit is more than plenty for a GTX 1080 and the rest of your system.

This issue arose only after installing this new PSU. Never before had I faced this issue.(I double checked the cables)

My pc once just shut off (when I had the old PSU). When I pressed the power button, only the cpu fan spun for about a second and then stopped. I tested the PSU, and found out that was the fault.

I'm gonna return it to that store and ask for a refund.

Thanks for your help.