[SOLVED] New PSU making weird noise under load

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSanto321

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2013
Hello, so I recently got a new power supply for my computer since my old one died on me. After installing it, I noticed that the power supply makes a weird whirring noise whenever I open up Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War. I opened up a less demanding game such as Hades and the noise wasn't there. I am fairly certain that it is the power supply because back when I had the old one, I never heard this noise while playing COD. I even went into my bios to turn up the fan speeds of my case and CPU fans just to make sure that the noise wasn't coming from there. I also turned up the fan speed for my GPU and it was the same situation, no noise. I made sure to check the fan blades of the PSU to see if anything was in there.

Here are some videos demonstrating the noises coming from the PSU when COD is opened, and when it's not.

COD opened, whirring noise:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5QSbV41dIA

No game open:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmv2Eq0Zn3s

I'm usually wearing headphones while playing games so I won't really be hearing this noise to begin with, but is this something to be alarmed about?

Here are the specs for my PC:

PSU: EVGA 750 BQ
CPU: Intel Core i9-10850k 3.6GHz
GPU: Nvidia Geforce RTX 2060 XC
Motherboard: MSI MEG Z490 ACE
RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200MHz
Hard Drives: 1TB WD Black M.2 SSD and 1TB WD HDD
Case: MSI MPG Sekira 100R

Last edited:
Solution
Doesn't sound like a coil whine for me. I think it's the fan making weird noise at high loads. I think your best bet is to contact EVGA for a replacement.

Definitely not the fan, my PSU makes the same noise and it only starts immediately when the system starts using heavy GPU work loads. If it was the fan you'd be able to hear it all the time. The fan doesn't just ramp up the RPM that quickly.
Looks like your PSU has coil whine. It's a common issue that plagues many people. It's not a sign of a defective unit, rather it's just the components rattling due to the large amount of electricity flowing, specifically the inductors. Unless you're a professional and know how to handle power units and non-conductive epoxy, there's not much you can do about it. The whine will go down after a while, but for now you'll just have to deal with it or replace it if you really can't stand it.

TheSanto321

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2013
Looks like your PSU has coil whine. It's a common issue that plagues many people. It's not a sign of a defective unit, rather it's just the components rattling due to the large amount of electricity flowing, specifically the inductors. Unless you're a professional and know how to handle power units and non-conductive epoxy, there's not much you can do about it. The whine will go down after a while, but for now you'll just have to deal with it or replace it if you really can't stand it.
Doesn't sound like a coil whine for me. I think it's the fan making weird noise at high loads. I think your best bet is to contact EVGA for a replacement.
Doesn't sound like fan to me, more like coil whine as Newtonius said, can go for rma if really bothersome.

Thanks for your insight everyone. I think I'm just gonna keep the power supply and deal with the noise.

Thanks for your insight everyone. I think I'm just gonna keep the power supply and deal with the noise.

It will become more tolerable after time, my EVGA 850W produced the same noise when gaming or using heavy GPU workloads. A savvy technician can simply put epoxy on the inductors and the rattling should stop, but then you'd have to open up the PSU which would void the warranty.

Definitely not the fan, my PSU makes the same noise and it only starts immediately when the system starts using heavy GPU work loads. If it was the fan you'd be able to hear it all the time. The fan doesn't just ramp up the RPM that quickly.

Solution

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
Sounds like a bad case of coil whine to me, it's an outdated design, double-forward so it's not very surprising and it can be more noticeable depending on workload or different games, just bear with it (or replace it with better one).

Feb 1, 2023
I have a new EVGA supernova 1300 P+, 80+ Platinum and it is doing the exact same thing, but just a tad bit louder while running MW 2 with a 3070Ti. I’m probably going to reach out to EVGA just in case. Will let you know what they say.

Status
Not open for further replies.