[SOLVED] New psu or pcie 6 to 2x (6+2) pin

Dec 23, 2020
So i have a saga+ 450p and my friend is letting me borrow his gpu witch needs a 14pin or 6+6+2 but i only have a 6pin my psu uses 450w and 500w max and the gpu needs at least 275w would it work if i get a 6pin to 2x (6+2) pin or would i need a new psu.

Solution
I hope you didn't tried to turn on contraption with PSU without adequate PCIe connectors and R9 290 GPU yet. PSU you have now (SAGA 400p as I see) is cheap group regulated PSUs for office computers from previous decade. No way it will handle R9 290 demand on 12V rail during heavier load than Windows 7 desktop properly. I believe it does not have undervoltage protection as well. Under R9 290 power demand on 12V it may poof. Then most likely you will owe your friend a new GPU. This is why 600W PSU requirement for computer with R9 290 GPU exists. Proper PSU also have all required 12V PCIe power cables and connectors. Spare the rush and buy or borrow some proper 600+ W budget PSU before using your friend's GPU. If you decide to buy a...
Dec 23, 2020
If I'm understanding correctly, you're asking if just using a 6+2 will work. Which I'm pretty sure won't. You need a PSU with enough power connectors for it.
I just realised i might of phrased it wrong when i said if i should get a 6pin to 2x (6+2)pin what i meant is should i get a 6pin to 2x(6+2)pin extension power cable. And would it work with the r9 290 like somthing like this https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai....co.uk/i/202124283425?mkevt=1&mkcid=28&chn=ps

So i have a saga+ 450p and my friend is letting me borrow his gpu witch needs a 14pin or 6+6+2 but i only have a 6pin my psu uses 450w and 500w max and the gpu needs at least 275w would it work if i get a 6pin to 2x (6+2) pin or would i need a new psu.
Besides what the other guys said, it only outputs 325 watts on +12volt, not 450 watts and it's old as hell group regulated design from 2005, pile of junk.
  • No OPP (over power protection)
  • No UVP (under voltage protection)
  • No OTP (over temperature protection)

I hope you didn't tried to turn on contraption with PSU without adequate PCIe connectors and R9 290 GPU yet. PSU you have now (SAGA 400p as I see) is cheap group regulated PSUs for office computers from previous decade. No way it will handle R9 290 demand on 12V rail during heavier load than Windows 7 desktop properly. I believe it does not have undervoltage protection as well. Under R9 290 power demand on 12V it may poof. Then most likely you will owe your friend a new GPU. This is why 600W PSU requirement for computer with R9 290 GPU exists. Proper PSU also have all required 12V PCIe power cables and connectors. Spare the rush and buy or borrow some proper 600+ W budget PSU before using your friend's GPU. If you decide to buy a new PSU, look into actual PSU tier list at first. It is not worth to go below Tier 4 even for budget.

If you are interested, a bit more detailed explanation about why 10+ years old group regulated PSUs are bad.

Last edited:
Solution
Dec 23, 2020
I hope you didn't tried to turn on contraption with PSU without adequate PCIe connectors and R9 290 GPU yet. PSU you have now (SAGA 400p as I see) is cheap group regulated PSUs for office computers from previous decade. No way it will handle R9 290 demand on 12V rail during heavier load than Windows 7 desktop properly. I believe it does not have undervoltage protection as well. Under R9 290 power demand on 12V it may poof. Then most likely you will owe your friend a new GPU. This is why 600W PSU requirement for computer with R9 290 GPU exists. Proper PSU also have all required 12V PCIe power cables and connectors. Spare the rush and buy or borrow some proper 600+ W budget PSU before using your friend's GPU. If you decide to buy a new PSU, look into actual PSU tier list at first. It is not worth to go below Tier 4 even for budget.

If you are interested, a bit more detailed explanation about why 10+ years old group regulated PSUs are bad.
Thank you and it seems like i will have to buy a new psu

Dec 23, 2020

Thank you and it seems like i will have to buy a new psu