Aug 30, 2020
Hello All! I recently purchased a new G. Skill Ripjaws DDR4-3600 8x2 get from my old g.skill 3200- 4x2 kit. I sold the old kit, got the new kit today, and I am having trouble booting. The computer will start, but nothing will happen. I took the computer apart, dusted everything, and then put everything back in. Nothing. I tried only one ram stick. This would sometimes cause the MOBO Asrock Z270 Extreme4 Logo loading screen to come off, and then the computer would shut down. Sometimes, with one stick, the computer would boot into windows. I also discovered that if I unplug my GTX 1060 6gb’s power cable with both ram sticks installed, the computer will boot and tell me to connect the power cable. I will do that, get into the bios, and the bios sees both ram sticks! However, after i try to boot normally into windows, the computer will then fail to boot. However, it also randomly booted into windows once after doing the GPU unplug trick. This is all so random and confusing so I have no clue what to do. The PC will see and recognize the ram sometimes so I know the modules work. Please help.

Specs: I5-7600k
EVGA Nex650g psu
Zotac 1060 6gb mini
Asrock Z270 Extreme 4 Mobo
Gskill 3600-8x2 Ram
128 Gb ssd with windows.
1tb wd blue

Solution
P2.20. Which is the older one. I can update it... I just have no clue how

It's a sweating process because if your system lose power while you update your BIOS and the board doesn't have a second BIOS or a flashback function you brick the motherboard. I updated hundreds of BIOS and only twice did I have issues or something like this happened so it's relatively safe ;p

You go there - https://www.asrock.com/mb/intel/Z270 Extreme4/index.asp#BIOS

Make sure you have the latest version of Windows 10 or at least Version 1703 and up for that BIOS update.

If you have 2.20 you download the "Instant flash" 2.70. Extract the file on a USB key. You reboot to the BIOS and you go in the BIOS flash utility. You choose the USB key and...
P2.20. Which is the older one. I can update it... I just have no clue how

It's a sweating process because if your system lose power while you update your BIOS and the board doesn't have a second BIOS or a flashback function you brick the motherboard. I updated hundreds of BIOS and only twice did I have issues or something like this happened so it's relatively safe ;p

Make sure you have the latest version of Windows 10 or at least Version 1703 and up for that BIOS update.

If you have 2.20 you download the "Instant flash" 2.70. Extract the file on a USB key. You reboot to the BIOS and you go in the BIOS flash utility. You choose the USB key and the BIOS file on the USB key. It will ask you to proceed. It will take around a minute or two. The PC will then reboot. You go in the BIOS and you load the DEFAULT settings. Save and exit. After that if your RAM isn't working it will need further troubleshooting.

Solution
Aug 30, 2020

If you have 2.20 you download the "Instant flash" 2.70. Extract the file on a USB key. You reboot to the BIOS and you go in the BIOS flash utility. You choose the USB key and the BIOS file on the USB key. It will ask you to proceed. It will take around a minute or two. The PC will then reboot. You go in the BIOS and you load the DEFAULT settings. Save and exit. After that if your RAM isn't working it will need further troubleshooting.
Just updated my first bios...and the computer is working FLAWLESSLY now. Thanks dude.

TRENDING THREADS