New RAM installing issue

Aug 23, 2018
Hey folks.

So, i got new RAM. 2x4gb sticks. They are the exact same model as the current RAM, and i verified that they work on their own. If i use either the old or new sets of RAM to boot, my PC boots just fine. However, if i install all 4 sticks together, or more than 2 sticks, the PC gets stuck in a loop of trying to boot and resetting before reaching BIOS. I read that this was nornal, and to let it run its course, but I let it go for 10 minutes and it still would try to boot and reset.

My question is, what do i need to do to let my computer work with the 4 sticks of 4gb RAM? do i go into my BIOS and fiddle with DRAM voltage settings? Are there other settings i fiddle with? Any help is appreciated.

Part list found here:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/rajikaru/saved/TPKpgs

Just replace the 2x4gb of RAM with 4x4gb. Same exact model and size.

Solution
Agree with Kasper...if they didn't come together in a kit, you're rolling the dice.

One more thing you might try is to first install the "working" memory (one set or the other), go into BIOS and there should be a "reset BIOS to default" option/function somewhere. You did read correctly that letting the system try to go through several boot loops may help. What it's doing is trying out different timings and settings to see if it will boot. So reset BIOS and let it run through it's boot loops again. NO guarantees, but just one more thing to try.

(forgot to say after resetting to default, shut down and install all 4 sticks, THEN let it go to boot loops)

luckymatt42

Upstanding
May 23, 2018
Agree with Kasper...if they didn't come together in a kit, you're rolling the dice.

One more thing you might try is to first install the "working" memory (one set or the other), go into BIOS and there should be a "reset BIOS to default" option/function somewhere. You did read correctly that letting the system try to go through several boot loops may help. What it's doing is trying out different timings and settings to see if it will boot. So reset BIOS and let it run through it's boot loops again. NO guarantees, but just one more thing to try.

(forgot to say after resetting to default, shut down and install all 4 sticks, THEN let it go to boot loops)

Solution

smashjohn

Reputable
Aug 14, 2017
You might be able to get them working with some tweaks. First, I'd manually set your RAM parameters since you're mixing kits..
1) 1066Mhz, 1.2V, CAS14-14-14-2T
If that doesn't work, then back off your settings a little:
2) 1066Mhz, 1.2V, CAS15-15-15-2T
If that doesn't work, back off some more:
3) 1066Mhz, 1.2V, CAS16-16-16-2T
When you find timings that work, you can try lowering the command rate from 2T to 1T.

You can also play with voltage and speed, but I'm guessing the timings are too tight.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

You found the situation that many times happens mixing ram even the same brand and model. Somewhere along the way something changed and they are incompatible with eachother. You can try what was mentioned above, but IMO return the new ones, sell your old ram, and buy a 2x8gb kit.