Asreal

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012
Hello, all

Recently put together a new Tomahawk X450 with a Ryzen 5 3600 Chip, and having serious micro-stuttering and freezing of the mouse. (It's SO bad)
When using chrome, it'll freeze, sometimes even black out on the monitor and then resume, but the mouse continues freezing constantly every time I'm using a program like chrome.

On start up, I'm having mouse micro-stuttering as well, as if the mouse is stuck when loading and I can't move it around for a few seconds.
The build is completely new, it was built yesterday.

I'm using an SSD for Windows, and it's worked great since I installed this new mobo-chip combo.

I'm using a Tomahawk X450
Ryzen 5 3600
Windows 10.
GTX 1070 Evga.
16 Gigs, DDr 4 Ram, Hyper X Fury

I'm going to assume you meant B450 since there is no X470 Tomahawk and no X450 anything.

Have you installed the most recent AMD chipset drivers?

These?

https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b450

Have you MANUALLY gone to the product page for your motherboard and downloaded/installed the latest network adapter and audio drivers? Don't install the chipset drivers from the motherboard page after updating to the latest drivers from the AMD page, UNLESS there are NEWER chipset drivers on the motherboard page than what is available from the AMD website.

Is your BIOS the latest version?

Have you installed the MOST recent Nvidia drivers?

What speed are your memory modules and have you checked in Windows using HWinfo, which you can download for free, to verify that your RAM is actually running at the correct speed rather than the default speed? How many DIMMs do you HAVE installed? In other words, was it a two or four stick kit? If it was a two stick kit, are they installed in the second and fourth DIMM slots starting at the CPU and going towards the edge of the motherboard?

What is the EXACT model of your power supply and how long has THAT been in service?

Reactions: RodroX

Asreal

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012
Thanks for the reply currently at work atm, but ram is 2x 8 sticks both installed correctly in the second and fourth slot, but I’ll do a full update of drivers and check ram once I’m off and get back to you

Thanks for the reply currently at work atm, but ram is 2x 8 sticks both installed correctly in the second and fourth slot, but I’ll do a full update of drivers and check ram once I’m off and get back to you
Add to the drivers to get and install: mouse drivers (from Mouse Mfr.) and LAN and Audio drivers (from motherboard support web site).

Also, I'm assuming you've done a fresh/new Windows 10 install and not just moved the drive over from an older system. Let Windows 10 do all it's updates...type Windows Update in the Cortana search box and force-start updates. It can take a while to get all the updates DL'd and installed. Just let it work and re-start when it says it's waiting for one.

Reactions: RodroX

Asreal

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012
Hey everyone,

So my problem has magically resolved itself, with no intervention. Coming home from work, I sat down and everythings was running smoothly. I still updated my drivers and everything else because though, HWinfo my ram is Clocked at 1066MhZ.

Is that normal?

ProPlayerGR

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2016
Hey everyone,

So my problem has magically resolved itself, with no intervention. Coming home from work, I sat down and everythings was running smoothly. I still updated my drivers and everything else because though, HWinfo my ram is Clocked at 1066MhZ.

Is that normal?
Yes that is normal, your ram is running at its stock speed. You may want to enable A-XMP in the bios. Also, don't think the problem is gone because it's not appearing right not. It may appear in a couple of days again. So do what the others said with the drivers.

Actually, that may not be right. It depends on what speed your memory is SUPPOSED to be? At 1066mhz, doubled, because DDR (Double data rate), that is running at 2133mhz, which is the default DD4 speed for Ryzen platforms. If your sticks are supposed to be faster than 2133mhz then they are not running at the proper speed and you need to enable the XMP profile and make sure that you are seeing half of the actual speed, or pretty close to that, in HWinfo. 3000mhz, for example, should show at about 1500mhz. 3200mhz should show at about 1600mhz. Etc. Etc.

If your system was online, then it is likely that Windows has automatically updated one of the drivers and that is how it magically fixed itself. Installing the latest drivers as you did was still the preferred action because the manufacturer drivers are almost always better than what Microsoft might provide.