New SSD: Move Windows 7 from HDD to SSD

spacely11

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012
So I finally got a new SSD. I got the Samsung 840 Evo (great deals on Newegg btw).

Now comes the hard part. I have my OS (Windows 7) installed on my HDD along with a host of a bunch of other games. I need help with moving my OS from the HDD to my new SSD.
I'm planning on putting Windows 7 and Steam (mostly for Skyrim and mods) on the new SSD.

A plan on how to do this would be very helpful (or a link too). I'm just not sure what to do and I don't want to mess up my new SSD or damage my OS in the process.

Thank you in advance

Solution
The ideal and best way is to simply reinstall Windows on your new SSD. I always suggest a clean install on a new SSD.

If you want to 'migrate', there are a few things you need to take into consideration first.
A - Size of the new SSD?
B - Size of the total used space on the current HDD?

If B is larger than A, you can't just migrate the whole thing. And you can't just migrate 'some'.

Prepare first. You can move Steam games quite easily. Look here for some tips on how to do that:
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7418-YUBN-8129

USAFRet

Titan
The ideal and best way is to simply reinstall Windows on your new SSD. I always suggest a clean install on a new SSD.

If you want to 'migrate', there are a few things you need to take into consideration first.
A - Size of the new SSD?
B - Size of the total used space on the current HDD?

If B is larger than A, you can't just migrate the whole thing. And you can't just migrate 'some'.

Prepare first. You can move Steam games quite easily. Look here for some tips on how to do that:
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7418-YUBN-8129

Solution

spacely11

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012

Thanks a bunch for the info. I have the Windows 7 disk and information with me but it is the OEM version. I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not.
By clean install I'm guessing you mean to install the SSD then insert the disk again and install it to the new SSD? If so how should I go about deleting Windows 7 from my previous HDD?

I apologize for the dumb questions. This area is just not my forte at all

USAFRet

Titan
If all you're changing is the drive, then your OEm Win 7 will work. For activation, at most you'll have to do it via the phone robot. A little tedious, but not too bad.

Disconnect all other hard drives, install the SSD, install Windows.
Then you can install your applications where you want.

Via the prev linked Steam thing, you can move your Steam games around as needed. I suggest having the Steam client on the SSD, and the games probably elsewhere. But you can actually have them in more than one location. Setting in the Steam client lets you designate one or more locations for individual games.

spacely11

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012

Thank you thank you thank you! I did not know you could place steam games in another location because I only want Skyrim to be on my new SSD. I'm assuming you can do the same with Origin but I can find that out myself.

I have another question:
Once I install windows on the new SSD, another Windows will still be on my other HDD. Will this cause a conflict when I boot my system up? And how should I go about deleting Windows on the older hard drive?
Also what about all of the important things installed on my HDD like my graphic drivers (and all my drivers for that matter) and such. I'm assuming this will still function correctly

BTW that tutorial is very helpful as well. Thank you for that too

USAFRet

Titan
Drivers and such need to be reinstalled for the new OS. It does not know anything about them where they live on the old HDD.

For Steam, yes, you can designate multiple locations for individual games. Skyrim here, BF4 there, a test demo over there. Same with Origin.

For the old OS on the HDD? In the BIOS, just set the SSD as the only boot drive once everything is installed. Once you're comfortable with the overall operation, you can simply delete anything associated with the original OS install.

spacely11

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012

Ok I will try and take things from my own now and stop asking so many questions lol
Thank you again for the help. And thank you for your service as well. I'm on my way to become an officer.