Build Advice New system build (Budget 1-1.5k)

Wheeljack

Commendable
Jul 2, 2021
Good day everyone. I was gifted the following parts:
Video - RTX 4060 Ti 16 GB,
PSU - MSI - MPG A850G
SSD - SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2

I need to pick the rest of the components to build my new system. It will be used mostly for music production with occasional gaming. At the same time my kids will be learning blender and zbrush on it. The parts I will be buying are Case, CPU, CPU Cooler, Mobo and Memory. I'm looking for 128 GB Ram (4X32) for my purposes. Just need the parts that would work optimally with my controversial 4060 ti along with the other parameters I listed above. Thank you!

Lutfij

Titan
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($369.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 360 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($131.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard ($219.95 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 990 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($79.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design North ATX Mid Tower Case ($139.99 @ B&H)
Total: $1280.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-10-16 03:36 EDT-0400

This isn't set in stone, meaning there's room for maneuvering with other parts in your build in favor of spending less. You should forgo going with a 4x ram kit which will only throw errors.

Reactions: Wheeljack

turtletarget111

Honorable
Dec 24, 2018
Here's the list I put together. I assumed your 1.5K budget included the parts you already have, so I worked on adding other parts from there.

For the CPU, the AMD Ryzen 7700X is a great mid tier chip for gaming and CPU intensive tasks. If you prefer Intel over AMD, you can swap it out for something like the 13600K at a similar price. I didn't want to go that route, however, because while the Intel chip has more cores on paper, more than half of them are low performance efficiency cores. For rendering and other CPU intensive tasks, the AMD's eight performance cores will beat Intel's six performance cores. If your budget did not include the parts you were gifted, you could swap this out for the Ryzen 7900X, which will give you twelve cores instead of eight, which will also work better with the large amount of memory in the system. The 7800X3D, and other 3D variants are gaming oriented, so I would stick with the X series instead. 3D models are also more expensive.

You don't need a fancy and expensive water cooler to get great performance out of your chip. The Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 is an amazing air cooler, especially given the price. If you have the extra cash, you could step it up to the Noctua NH-D15, which is pretty much top of the line. This cooler will beat most water coolers. If you prefer water coolers, Cooler Master and Corsiar make great units, but I prefer air because of their longevity and reliability.

The motherboard is a solid option with plenty of features and IO. Again, if your current parts are not included in the budget you could step the motherboard up to an X670E board, which will give you the most flexibility over the B650 board I have on the list. Something like the MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk would be a great pick.

Because I chose a Ryzen system, you will need to prioritize low latency over raw speed in your RAM. Ryzen CPU's will be heavily kneecapped on RAM with high latency. I went with a kit of Trident Z Neo 6000 CL30. This kit is pretty much as good as it gets for Ryzen systems, because it has low CAS latency of 30. This will work perfect.

For storage, you might want to grab a hard drive or additional SSD for extra programs, games, and content you might store on the machine. The Seagate Barracuda 2TB is a great hard drive for the price, and will serve you well for mass storage. If you want something faster, the Samsung 990 NVME SSD will suit your needs.

The case is really personal preference. I went with the Corsair 4000D Airflow for its professional design and emphasis on cooling. If you want something sleeker, you could pick up the Corsair 5000D or 5000X depending on your choice of tempered glass or mesh. There's tons of great case options out there if these aren't to your liking. Hope this was comprehensive and helpful, take care.

Last edited:
High core count 7950X

Mobo with pcie 5.0 SSD slot and wifi 6E

Case with front panel type C and included fans

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X 4.5 GHz 16-Core Processor ($575.41 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140 95.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($44.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B650E PG RIPTIDE WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard ($239.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 96 GB (2 x 48 GB) DDR5-6400 CL32 Memory ($269.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Montech AIR 903 MAX ATX Mid Tower Case ($72.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $1203.27
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-10-18 02:32 EDT-0400

Wheeljack

Commendable
Jul 2, 2021
Thank you all for suggestions. I should have been more clearer, that price didn't include the parts I was gifted. I made my picks based on suggestions by both @Lutfij and @turtletarget111

For now think I will go with these. Hopefully this configuration will be more than enough. Still, undecided on which case to get.

Parts to order:
CPU : Ryzen 7900X
CPU Cooler : Noctua NH-D15
Motherboard : MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo 64 GB
Storage: Samsung 990 Pro 1 TB M.2

Parts already owned:
Video - RTX 4060 Ti 16 GB,
PSU - MSI - MPG A850G
SSD - SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2

You dont really need a X670E board. a B650E has all the features for most ppl.

if you are going with Noctua, go for the offset mount for multi CCD CPU like the 7900X.

the memory sticks needs to be a kit. especially at higher capacity, the memory might not play nice and might work at reduced speeds. Hence by recommendation of 2 X 48 gb sticks above.

Wheeljack

Commendable
Jul 2, 2021
You dont really need a X670E board. a B650E has all the features for most ppl.

if you are going with Noctua, go for the offset mount for multi CCD CPU like the 7900X.

the memory sticks needs to be a kit. especially at higher capacity, the memory might not play nice and might work at reduced speeds. Hence by recommendation of 2 X 48 gb sticks above.
The thing is I planned to get 2x32 gb ram, and then order another set later so that I could make it 128GB. I dropped that idea soon I read that 4xRAM sticks would be problematic.

And the reason for me not picking 2x48GB is due to it's tax cost. There's a 36% tax in my country for stuff passing $300. With it's price at 300 + shipping on top of 2x48 I will reach that threshold. I would gladly take it but I am already paying taxes for CPU, Video card and mobo. I didn't bring my country and tax issues since I didn't want to complicate things for you all. However if it's really advantageous compared to 64GB by not just benchmarks and numbers (sorry for being technologically impaired) I would make it priority since memory is something I definitely lack with my current setup.

As for the Noctua, I haven't made a strong desicion yet, it's just that I am a bit skeptical that a 40 dollar CPU fan would do the same job as 120 one. Even though that's the case from what I read.