New system build problem

bosnian81

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2008
Hi guys,

This is my first home build. I have just received my computer from newegg and after connecting everything, I can't get anything to my screen. Even worse, I don't hear any beeps from the mobo. However, everything seems to turn on - CPU/graphic card/case/power supply fans, LEDs on the mobo.
Computer specs
Antec Nine Hundred
Gigabyte EP45-UD3P
2 Gig Corsair XMS (cas 4)
Gigabyte HD4850
E7200
Antec NeoPower 550W

Seagate 400gb HD and Samsung 22x DVD-RW (but they aren't plugged in).

Monitor works (using it now). Unfortunately, I don't have old components to try (computer I am currently using is 2.4Ghz P4 with AGP video card.

I have read that it could be old bios or system status, but I don't know how to check.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance

Hamarabi

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2006
Well, could be lots of things. The easiest way to troubleshoot your parts would be to swap some other parts in ... one at a time to test. You have to eliminate the culprit.

If you don't have a spare computer that you can borrow parts from, try to borrow some from a friend. You'll need to test the Power Supply, RAM, CPU, Motherboard, and Video Card. I would swap out the easiest (RAM, Video Card, and Power Supply) first. Of course, swap and test them one at a time to find the culprit. It's possible both sticks of RAM are bad, but unlikely. It is also possible that the video card, CPU, motherboard, or power supply are defective, even though they are new.

Short circuits can cause overheating and rebooting, or worse. Check to see if there is any metal, like a missing screw lodged somewhere on the main board.

Sometimes it is the voltage settings in the bios. Check your CPU, motherboard, RAM, and Video Card specs for proper voltage settings. Multipliers, dividers, timings, and voltage settings all play a crucial role.

Please insure that your entire system's power requirements are met. The Power Supply is extremely important and if it doesn't meet the systems demands, you will have shutdowns, reboots, or failure to boot at all.

You may need a Bios upgrade. Check your motherboard manufacturer's website for latest bios update.

The Corsair XMS RAM has several different chip releases that require different voltage and timing settings to run at stock speeds. Depending on where your Front Side Bus and voltage for your CPU is set, the configuration could increase the clock speed of the CPU and your RAM will also speed up (possibly past it's capability), unless you lower the memory divider at the same time (check your manual for Intel equivalent terminology). If your RAM wants 1.8, 1.9, 2.0, 2.1, 2.2, etc., volts to run at stock speed, then you need to configure that in the bios. If your default bios setting has your RAM running above or below it's specs, you will have problems. Also, some RAM / motherboards require a certain voltage setting to run in Duel Channel Mode or your computer will be unstable and may not even boot. It could be just a matter of bumping the voltage up or down to correct manufacturer specifications and your system will boot properly (Monitor ALL Temperatures).

I am sure there are other troubleshooting steps, but those are the ones I could think of right now.

Hamarabi

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2006
One more thing! You should always plug your Hard Drive in before you boot, even if it is not formatted yet. Power Supplies need to have a load when they turn on or you could dammage it.

***Begin Edit*** Did you say that you could not even get into the Bios? Ughh! I typed all that for nothing! LOL

You absolutely have to get into the bios, so you are going to have to borrow parts from someone so you can see which new part is the culprit, or you will have to RMA the motherboard.

***End Edit***

bosnian81

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2008
thanks for the replies. this mobo uses 8 pin cpu plug. shpuld mobos beep no matter what if they are working corectly?

I will try cpu/ram only next to see if i get anything

Hamarabi

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2006
Yes. If the motherboard is working correctly, you should get one single beep. The beeps are called the Power On Self Test or POST Beep.

There are a bunch of codes for the number and duration of the beeps you hear from the motherboard when you power up. You can find a list of all the beep codes in a google search, i'm sure.

Hamarabi

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2006
Check here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power-on_self-test

That wiki link lists quite a few, may not all of the beep codes. According to wiki it might be either the Power supply, system board problem, disconnected cpu, or disconnected speaker.

However, if you are getting power to your other components, that kind of tells me that you have a bad motherboard. Maybe someone else has some insight into the problem.

bosnian81

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2008
Thanks for all responses.

just unhooked everything and reassembled only board/psu/cpu and one stick of ram. No beep. According to the chart of beep code, its either PSU or mobo. So next step will be to exchange the PSU (that part is at least transferable).

This has been quite frustrating. Computer took a week to deliver because the shipment got put on wrong trucks and somehow I knew something would not work correctly.

If anyone has any other ideas it will be greatly appreciated.

Hamarabi

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2006
Yeah, I can imagine how bummed I would be to get all my new parts after waiting so long only to find that it won't boot up. Uggh! I hear ya! But hey? You're learning to troubleshoot, right?

I edited my last post to say that I think it is probably the motherboard, because you say you have power to lights and cpu/gpu fans, etc. Reassembling was a good step to make sure everything is connected properly. Good job on that. Of course, the alternative is that the power supply is just plain insufficient to meet the power demands of your system (could be defective but not completely dead). But, no beep points to a bad motherboard considering you do have verified power to some components.