[SOLVED] New System won't boot to windows and has mulitple error codes

ChillyOne

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2013
So I built a new computer recently and, been having a number of issues.

First a few days ago after completing it. When I would power up, the pc would get stuck at the “F2 or Delete to enter Bios” screen So I would press power and it would shut down immediately. Not a hard press just a normal one. I would do this twice and it would finally load up and enter windows.

So I knew something was wrong. I had to still run the system tests for the build so I get ready and run Memtest first. After some freezing I finally get it to run and Memtest freezes… 1st round 6th test.

So I try it twiceI have to shut it down and when I powered it back on it goes to load windows, the spinning load screen and BSOD pops up stating,

“WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR”

I try to boot a few times, then I get

“MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION”

I Try to repair install Windows

“KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE”

It did boot normally once and I was able to enter windows. Ran for a minute but when I rebooted it BSOD again. So im thinking its hardware related because once im actually in Windows it doesnt BSOD… But im a novice.

Here’s my setup:

Processor: Intel - Core i7-9700K
Mother Board: Asus - ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO (WI-FI)
Memory: G.Skill TidentZ RGB Series 16GB DDR4 3200
Video Card: RTX 2080 TI FE
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified
Cooler: Corsair - H110i

Solution
for the GPU i wouldn't be too worried about it overheating (unless the GPU came faulty, its just that you can plug it in and get it to boot but the card might not be fully situated in the slot (the clip on the motherboard will tell you that, it should click into place)

As for cpu/psu i always get paranoid as they can both be made worse/make things worse by repeated attempts.

if cpu is running at 29C then you'll be fine for cooler installation, you'd soon notice if it wasn't.
how old is your PSU? couple of years guessing by the model? that shouldn't be a problem on sheer age.

also, check the power connectors from PSU to motherboard/GPU

i'm making all these suggestions in addition to the suggestions about memory chekcing above by the...

smashjohn

Reputable
Aug 14, 2017
I think you identified the problem. Your Memory is failing. Do you have XMP enabled with it running at 3200, or is it running at 2133? I'd disable XMP and run at reference settings to make sure you're stable before cranking anything up.

ChillyOne

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2013

I had XMP enabled but disabled it before running Memtest so it was at 2133. I tried to switch out my memory with another set of TridentZ 16 GB ram and it still crashed but i didn't run memtest on them.

1. Is your ram a single kit of matched sticks?
If not, that is likely your problem.

2. Read your motherboard manual.
It will tell you which slots to populate if you are not using them all.
It may not be obvious which ones to use.

3. Memtest86 is the gold standard for testing ram.
Try testing one stick at a time.
If one fails, return the whole kit for a replacement.
You should be able to complete a full pass with NO errors.
Memtest86 does not use windows so that takes windows issues out of it.

4. Look to see if there is a motherboard bios update that addresses your problem.
Updating the bios is a bit risky and is hard to recover from if the update fails.
Do not update just on speculation.

ChillyOne

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2013

1. Yes its 2 8GB sticks.

2. Its said when you have 2 you use the 2nd and 4th slot. They were in those slots... Now im wondering if i read it wrong. lol I'll check.

3. Oh ok, i'll run 1 at a time and see what happens.

EDIT: Yes its DIMM_A2 and DIMM_B2 slots.

Shady42

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
first thing i'd do is remove and reinsert RAM modules and GFX card to make sure they are seated properly.

Then i'd be testing for cooler installation faults by checking cpu temps in bios at first then monitor them as soon as windows loads with Core Temp (if you can get it to install before it dies)
https://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

beyond that it could be a dud power supply? i have no knowledge of how to test for that unfortunately so i wont pretend i do.

ChillyOne

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2013

Well the PSU is the only "Old" part i'm using in the build. everything else is new. I checked the GPU and it was idle at 35 degrees C. The CPU was at 29 degrees C if i can recall. I'll check and see if theres any differences since last i saw.

Shady42

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
for the GPU i wouldn't be too worried about it overheating (unless the GPU came faulty, its just that you can plug it in and get it to boot but the card might not be fully situated in the slot (the clip on the motherboard will tell you that, it should click into place)

As for cpu/psu i always get paranoid as they can both be made worse/make things worse by repeated attempts.

if cpu is running at 29C then you'll be fine for cooler installation, you'd soon notice if it wasn't.
how old is your PSU? couple of years guessing by the model? that shouldn't be a problem on sheer age.

also, check the power connectors from PSU to motherboard/GPU

i'm making all these suggestions in addition to the suggestions about memory chekcing above by the way, not instead of. They are also things i would suggest but not gonna retread those suggestions.

Solution

ChillyOne

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2013

Oh ok, A checklist of sorts.

About the GPU, its takes an 8+8 pin cable. I only had a 6+8 so i bought an 8+8 but its not a EVGA and im not even sure if its compatible with my PSU, could that also be an issue?