New to overclocking. Can someone please help

Jul 21, 2018
I am new to over locking but am not a stranger to pcs. I want to overclock my current system but have no idea where to start. Can I please get help on where to start. My specs are

MSI z170a krait gaming 3x motherboard
I7 7700 rated at 3.6mhz
H100i v2 liquid cooler
16 gb corsair ddr4 2666 mHz pushing 1.2v
GeForce 970 Gtx FTW GPU

Solution
There is no useful overclock available to you with your parts.
One might gain 1-2% via BCLK overclocking, but that is hardly worth it.

Graphics card chips are binned, and the better ones are used in factory overclocked cards like the FTW versions which sell for more.
You might gain some but I would not bother.

And... I think the H100I cooler was a waste of budget.
There is no useful overclock available to you with your parts.
One might gain 1-2% via BCLK overclocking, but that is hardly worth it.

Graphics card chips are binned, and the better ones are used in factory overclocked cards like the FTW versions which sell for more.
You might gain some but I would not bother.

And... I think the H100I cooler was a waste of budget.

Solution

Pavkata882

Reputable
May 19, 2016
Since your cpu is a non K (7700K) you cant oc it via multiplier. As @geofelt said you can squeeze out a little bit via BCLK but it wont be noticable. If you really want to oc you should either sell your current one and buy the 7700K or the i5 7600K if you are out of budget. When you get to the point, having an unlocked cpu you can see any thread for overclocking, its pretty much the same for most systems. You start by raising the multiplier until you get to a point where the system crashes, then you start raising your vcore, and you should stick to the safe numbers given by intel (you can check them out on the cpu specs on their site), since you can fry your cpu. You can always see more detailed threads on the forum though. Good luck!