[SOLVED] New to PWM. How should I set up my case fans and CPU fan?

Jun 21, 2020
In my BIOS I have the ability to set up a fan curve. I want to do it there because using MSI dragon center has made it so if my monitor turns off for power reasons, so does my RBG keyboard... and then even though Dragon Center is set to ignore my keyboard, it wipes the RGB settings of my keyboard and I have to load them back on with Corsair's portal if I want keyboard back lighting again. So yeah, that's got to stop.

The problem is I've never set up PWM fans before ever. My BIOS gives me the option to use the CPU core temps, or the CPU socket temps, as well as a few other MISC temps. Which should I use for which fans? I have 2 front and 1 side intake fans, as well as 2 top and 1 rear exhaust fan. The pairs of fans are controlled via splitters. All fans are the same black Noctua fans, save my CPU fan, which is a standard tan Noctuan fan, and is STUPID FRICKN LOUD (even though Noctua is supposed to be quiet). I don't think there's a solution to making my PC stop sounding like a god damn P-51 Mustang taking off every time I simply open facebook... But there might be. Mostly I just want to know what I should set up for my case fans and CPU fan so everything works well and I can haz backlight again.

Hardware wise I am running a Ryzen 5 3600 with a nice aftermarket cooler on a Micro-Star B550-A Pro motheberboard. I've got a GTX 980 SI GPU in there too. Not sure if that's necessary info for case fan stuff.

Solution
Mostly I just want to know what I should set up for my case fans and CPU fan so everything works well and I can haz backlight again.
i usually had better fan response to live temperatures using core temps.

usually set my chassis fans all with a similar curve;
~25% @ 30°C - ~80% @ 60°C.
with a couple points set inbetween that that vary depending on my idle and low-usage temps.
if you find you're reaching uncomfortably high temps, up the % 10-20 for each point on the curve and see if helps.

for the CPU; would need to know exactly what cooler, fan model, & case for a definite answer.
using MSI dragon center has made it so if my monitor turns off for power reasons, so does my RBG keyboard...
if you're using your monitor as a...
Mostly I just want to know what I should set up for my case fans and CPU fan so everything works well and I can haz backlight again.

usually set my chassis fans all with a similar curve;
~25% @ 30°C - ~80% @ 60°C.
with a couple points set inbetween that that vary depending on my idle and low-usage temps.
if you find you're reaching uncomfortably high temps, up the % 10-20 for each point on the curve and see if helps.

for the CPU; would need to know exactly what cooler, fan model, & case for a definite answer.
using MSI dragon center has made it so if my monitor turns off for power reasons, so does my RBG keyboard...
if you're using your monitor as a USB pass-through, don't.
if you don't use the monitor as a USB pass-through, your power profile must be set to turn off devices at a certain time. which is causing the issue.

you should also be able to save your iCUE lighting profile via the keyboard's internal memory. if it's not a Corsair keyboard, that could also be a problem.
if this isn't an option that works; maybe contact MSI about the issue and see if they have a workaround for not interferring with other device's RGB settings.

Last edited:
Reactions: Meep The Changeling
Solution
Jun 21, 2020

Thanks! I'll get that set up.

It's a Noctua NH-U12S SSO2 Bearing cooler.

if you're using your monitor as a USB pass-through, don't.
if you don't use the monitor as a USB pass-through, your power profile must be set to turn off devices at a certain time. which is causing the issue.

I am not. Monitor to GPU, keyboard to USB on the motherboard. I've never had a problem with this before installing Dragon Center... and I DO store things in the keyboard. That data is beeing wiped IE deleted, every time the PC goes to sleep or puts the monitor in power save mode.