Newbie Help Needed

kelly

I deleted the games from start up and now I can't get them back They are not
in programs, accessories, etc. I have
checked in add/remove windows components under
accessories/utilities/games/details and the games are there, but I have tried
over and over to check and uncheck and reload and it appears to do
"something" configure components but to no avail no games still. Now it's
asking for XP CD Service Pack2 but since I have XP Service Pack 1, which came
with my pc I don't have a CD with Service Pack 2 on it. What do I do? Do I
reinstall XP Service Pack 1 and do all of the Service Pack 2 updates?? It's
not just for the games, I have created a mess it seems in other areas, all
of the add/remove windows components are gone and when I try to reinstall
them each one comes up with a block asking for the XP 2 Service Pack 2.

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer. Please be kind and patient
with me. :)

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

You do a System Restore to a date/time before your problems started (if you
have a restore point).

You boot from the XP CD and a do a repair install.

"Kelly" <Kelly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I deleted the games from start up and now I can't get them back They are
>not
> in programs, accessories, etc. I have
> checked in add/remove windows components under
> accessories/utilities/games/details and the games are there, but I have
> tried
> over and over to check and uncheck and reload and it appears to do
> "something" configure components but to no avail no games still. Now it's
> asking for XP CD Service Pack2 but since I have XP Service Pack 1, which
> came
> with my pc I don't have a CD with Service Pack 2 on it. What do I do? Do
> reinstall XP Service Pack 1 and do all of the Service Pack 2 updates??
> It's
> not just for the games, I have created a mess it seems in other areas, all
> of the add/remove windows components are gone and when I try to reinstall
> them each one comes up with a block asking for the XP 2 Service Pack 2.
>

> Thank you in advance for any help you can offer. Please be kind and
> patient
> with me. :)

kelly

Jerry, thank you for replying. Unfortantely I don't have a system restore
point, do I just "guess" at the date it happenend? If so what effects does
this have on all the Windows updates that I have done along the way?

"Jerry" wrote:

> You do a System Restore to a date/time before your problems started (if you
> have a restore point).
>
> You boot from the XP CD and a do a repair install.
>
> "Kelly" <Kelly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I deleted the games from start up and now I can't get them back They are
> >not
> > in programs, accessories, etc. I have
> > checked in add/remove windows components under
> > accessories/utilities/games/details and the games are there, but I have
> > tried
> > over and over to check and uncheck and reload and it appears to do
> > "something" configure components but to no avail no games still. Now it's
> > asking for XP CD Service Pack2 but since I have XP Service Pack 1, which
> > came
> > with my pc I don't have a CD with Service Pack 2 on it. What do I do? Do
> > reinstall XP Service Pack 1 and do all of the Service Pack 2 updates??
> > It's
> > not just for the games, I have created a mess it seems in other areas, all
> > of the add/remove windows components are gone and when I try to reinstall
> > them each one comes up with a block asking for the XP 2 Service Pack 2.
> >

> > Thank you in advance for any help you can offer. Please be kind and
> > patient
> > with me. :)

Kelly,
Catch your breath!
Have you tried rebooting after you setup for the games to be present? Try
that first.
As far as Service Pack2 goes, the machine is probably prompting you to
download and install it. Follow the steps outlined here for best practices:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.mspx

Ron Chamberlin
MS-MVP

"Kelly" <Kelly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I deleted the games from start up and now I can't get them back They are
>not
> in programs, accessories, etc. I have
> checked in add/remove windows components under
> accessories/utilities/games/details and the games are there, but I have
> tried
> over and over to check and uncheck and reload and it appears to do
> "something" configure components but to no avail no games still. Now it's
> asking for XP CD Service Pack2 but since I have XP Service Pack 1, which
> came
> with my pc I don't have a CD with Service Pack 2 on it. What do I do? Do
> reinstall XP Service Pack 1 and do all of the Service Pack 2 updates??
> It's
> not just for the games, I have created a mess it seems in other areas, all
> of the add/remove windows components are gone and when I try to reinstall
> them each one comes up with a block asking for the XP 2 Service Pack 2.
>

> Thank you in advance for any help you can offer. Please be kind and
> patient
> with me. :)

kelly

Ron, thank you thank you for responding! Taking deap breaths now trying to
figure out what the heck I have done. Yes I have rebooted after setup. I
have installed Service Pack 2...........a few months back when it first came
out.

Yikes now what?

"Ron Chamberlin" wrote:

> Kelly,
> Catch your breath!
> Have you tried rebooting after you setup for the games to be present? Try
> that first.
> As far as Service Pack2 goes, the machine is probably prompting you to
> download and install it. Follow the steps outlined here for best practices:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.mspx
>
> Ron Chamberlin
> MS-MVP
>
> "Kelly" <Kelly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I deleted the games from start up and now I can't get them back They are
> >not
> > in programs, accessories, etc. I have
> > checked in add/remove windows components under
> > accessories/utilities/games/details and the games are there, but I have
> > tried
> > over and over to check and uncheck and reload and it appears to do
> > "something" configure components but to no avail no games still. Now it's
> > asking for XP CD Service Pack2 but since I have XP Service Pack 1, which
> > came
> > with my pc I don't have a CD with Service Pack 2 on it. What do I do? Do
> > reinstall XP Service Pack 1 and do all of the Service Pack 2 updates??
> > It's
> > not just for the games, I have created a mess it seems in other areas, all
> > of the add/remove windows components are gone and when I try to reinstall
> > them each one comes up with a block asking for the XP 2 Service Pack 2.
> >

> > Thank you in advance for any help you can offer. Please be kind and
> > patient
> > with me. :)

Don't forget that almost everything in the START menu is a shortcut. On my
computer the games are actually in c:\WINDOWS\system32\. Locate them by name
and recreate the shortcuts in c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start
Menu\Games... I hope you know all the game names.

"Kelly" wrote:

> Ron, thank you thank you for responding! Taking deap breaths now trying to
> figure out what the heck I have done. Yes I have rebooted after setup. I
> have installed Service Pack 2...........a few months back when it first came
> out.
>
> Yikes now what?
>
> "Ron Chamberlin" wrote:
>
> > Kelly,
> > Catch your breath!
> > Have you tried rebooting after you setup for the games to be present? Try
> > that first.
> > As far as Service Pack2 goes, the machine is probably prompting you to
> > download and install it. Follow the steps outlined here for best practices:
> >
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.mspx
> >
> > Ron Chamberlin
> > MS-MVP
> >
> > "Kelly" <Kelly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I deleted the games from start up and now I can't get them back They are
> > >not
> > > in programs, accessories, etc. I have
> > > checked in add/remove windows components under
> > > accessories/utilities/games/details and the games are there, but I have
> > > tried
> > > over and over to check and uncheck and reload and it appears to do
> > > "something" configure components but to no avail no games still. Now it's
> > > asking for XP CD Service Pack2 but since I have XP Service Pack 1, which
> > > came
> > > with my pc I don't have a CD with Service Pack 2 on it. What do I do? Do
> > > reinstall XP Service Pack 1 and do all of the Service Pack 2 updates??
> > > It's
> > > not just for the games, I have created a mess it seems in other areas, all
> > > of the add/remove windows components are gone and when I try to reinstall
> > > them each one comes up with a block asking for the XP 2 Service Pack 2.
> > >

> > > Thank you in advance for any help you can offer. Please be kind and
> > > patient
> > > with me. :)

Hi Kelly,

> Ron, thank you thank you for responding! Taking deep breaths now trying
> figure out what the heck I have done.>

Good. Hope that makes you feel a little better. Panic at the keyboard is
not a good thing. :)

< Yes I have rebooted after setup. I have installed Service Pack
2...........a few months back when it first came out.>
Ok. That's good news.

> Yikes now what?>

Let's go back over the original message a bit:

<I deleted the games from start up and now I can't get them back They are
not
in programs, accessories, etc. I have checked in add/remove windows
components under
accessories/utilities/games/details and the games are there, but I have
tried
over and over to check and uncheck and reload and it appears to do
"something" configure components but to no avail no games still.>

Go to Start--->Control Panel--->Add or remove programs--->Add and remove
Windows Components (in the window to the left)--->Accessories and
Utilites--->Games.
What I would do, particularly in the state of confusion that may be facing
you (coupled of course with holiday stress) , is to uncheck the Games box,
back out and reboot. After the reboot, I would repeat the steps, now
checking the Games box. That should firmly put the games back into play, and
drop the icons and shorcuts in the right and proper places.

If that doesn't do it, then we'll look at other options.

Ron Chamberlin
MS-MVP