Newcastle vs. San Diego/Venice: Which runs hotter?

Sockman

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2006
I'm having heating issues (or so I believe), and many helpful forum members have put in their advice, but I need to knwo: Which CPU core runs traditionally hotter: The Newcastle or the San Diego or Venice?

My issue is this: BIOS temp. is from 46-50* C; immediate reboot from OS to BIOS marked an idle temp (more or less) of around 45* C.

I know Pat here has answered this, but I need to know: Is this an acceptable operating temperature for my Newcastle? And if it isn't, what can I do to relieve the temp?

My tower has 4 fan inputs(two in back, one on top, one in front), but the front is useless due to poor airflow.
I have 2 case fans exhausting in the back, another on top blowing in, and the stock cases' side-fan blowing in as well. I also have a PCI Exhaust fan set up.

My HS/F is a Thermaltake CL-P0200 Silent 938 K8 ; cfm is 33.38

This whole thing is keeping the BIOS temp pretty steady at 49* C, but I'm still somewhat concerned that the CPU is still running a bit too hot.

Any suggestions on a new HS?

pat

Expert
OMG...

Yes, you are having terrible heat issues. Steady 49C at BIOS (which is almost like full load) is completly unnaceptable. You should sell me that CPU ..I will show it who's the boss... I'll make it run at 2.6 GHz near 70C full load.. He'll learn..

seriously.. you make me laugh.

endyen

Splendid
Download prime95, and run it for a while, or join our folding@home team.
Either will put a heavy load on your system, but fail if there is a problem.
If either can run continuously without errors, you dont have a problem.
You might also check your mobo makers site for a bios update that fixes a sensor problem.
Please understand that your "temps" come from a sensor on the chip, that is interpretted by the mobo. It involves some 2 bit components, that have never been calibrated. Errors are more common than not.

pat

Expert
And don't forget that his chip is a 130nm process, running at 2.4 Ghz.. with a TDP of almost 90w, if not more..

There was the first generation of A64, followed by the first 130nm 939(clawhammer, iirc) then the 90nm named winchester, then Venice ... and so on.

AntiHax0r

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
I have a Newcastle A64-3000 (2ghz @ 2.4) running from 27-30C Idle (Bios/Speedfan) and 37-40C 100% Load under prime95.. all with 1x80mm fan , 1x120mm fan and a duct mod similar to this on my cpu :)
http://overclockers.com/tips1187/

Ycon

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I can definately say that Winchester is not the 2nd hottest CPU.
Winchester vs. Venice is like Northwood vs. Prescott

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
I definately disagree. 130nm, not a fantastic overclocker either (although, winchester probably has the BEST memory controller of all AMD64's as ive seen memory speeds of 500+ on it =D