NewEgg Ships Fake Core i7s to Unlucky Customers

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jcknouse

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
I don't know how many quantity they ship in a box to Newegg, but I would have thought something would have been caught at the scale if D&H boxed up 200+ CPUs for shipment to Newegg.

Unless whoever matched the weight per pack close, there would be several pounds of difference at the shipping point. You would think it would have been noticed and inventory would have been inspected at Newegg.

I trust Newegg though. They've never screwed me over on a product.

Now, discounts they have. Like forcing you to take a 2nd item with a SSD, and then you can't discount your purchase with the code they emailed you.

They've always been good to me til now though.

I kinda hope they prove it was D&H's fault. Would suit them for sending out such a pompous C&D order with no effort to state they made no such shipment to NewEgg of i7s.

Gotta love attorneys.

Lutfij

Titan
Leave it to the chinesse to come up with something as ingenious as this! After all they're the ones who came up with protein substitute in milk. Now wee have our eco friendly answer to processors consuming less power than a 32nm chip

buddhav1

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
I've only had one negative experience with Newegg, and that was a DOA Radeon x800, which was RMA'd and replaced with an x850 within 3 days. That card still runs well in my media server. Newegg's still the best, sad to hear this happening to them. The supplier in question will be very lucky to keep Newegg as a customer.

ottcomputing

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
I don't know if anyone here has ever worked in the hardware channel, but most of you have no idea what you're talking about. I own a small computer store up in Canada and have dealt with D&H extensively. They are not an Intel distributor in Canada, but in the United States, D&H is one of the largest Intel authorized distributors in the country. On par with people like Ingram Micro, Tech Data and Synnex. That being said, things like this happen often in the grey market, where chips are purchased from authorized distributors and then mixed into stuff imported direct from China, fakes and old channel stock.

D&H may very well be at fault here, but it doesn't go beyond the realm of possibility that Newegg purchased from the grey market as well. To some people that think that Newegg is "big" enough to buy from Intel directly, you obviously have no understanding as to how big Intel really is. Newegg may sell "many" CPUs, but Intel doesn't sell directly to anyone but Tier 1 Integrators .. that being: Dell, HP, IBM/Lenovo and the like. And they don't sell retail packaged CPUs to the Tier 1s either. Retail packaged CPUs are ONLY, I repeat, ONLY distributed through to the channel through authorized distributors who are: Ingram Micro, Tech Data, Synnex and D&H. There may be more distributors in the states, but since I don't work in that market, I may not be aware of them.

It really boggles my mind as to how intelligent some of the people in this thread sound, but are actually totally off base. If you don't understand ANYTHING about the business and how computer parts are distributed, you certainly should not be fueling the controversy in what could become a VERY complicated situation.

ottcomputing

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
I don't know if anyone here has ever worked in the hardware channel, but most of you have no idea what you're talking about. I own a small computer store up in Canada and have dealt with D&H extensively. They are not an Intel distributor in Canada, but in the United States, D&H is one of the largest Intel authorized distributors in the country. On par with people like Ingram Micro, Tech Data and Synnex. That being said, things like this happen often in the grey market, where chips are purchased from authorized distributors and then mixed into stuff imported direct from China, fakes and old channel stock.

D&H may very well be at fault here, but it doesn't go beyond the realm of possibility that Newegg purchased from the grey market as well. To some people that think that Newegg is "big" enough to buy from Intel directly, you obviously have no understanding as to how big Intel really is. Newegg may sell "many" CPUs, but Intel doesn't sell directly to anyone but Tier 1 Integrators .. that being: Dell, HP, IBM/Lenovo and the like. And they don't sell retail packaged CPUs to the Tier 1s either. Retail packaged CPUs are ONLY, I repeat, ONLY distributed through to the channel through authorized distributors who are: Ingram Micro, Tech Data, Synnex and D&H. There may be more distributors in the states, but since I don't work in that market, I may not be aware of them.

It really boggles my mind as to how intelligent some of the people in this thread sound, but are actually totally off base. If you don't understand ANYTHING about the business and how computer parts are distributed, you certainly should not be fueling the controversy in what could become a VERY complicated situation.

G

This is organized crime. I doubt D&H did this - it is probably mafia related activity at the local (warehouse) level.

osxsier

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
I guarantee it was someone inside D&H that stole the chips and replaced them with fakes. They should start an internal investigation and then tell us what happened.

I heard of these kind of actions happening in shipping depots and some employee with a ax to grind or who needed the money took the real ones.

Dirtman73

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
I've had pretty much nothing but shite luck with NewEgg for the past year (VerifiedByVisa fiasco, horrible RMA policies, missing items, blah blah blah), but I would say it's a bit premature to blame them for this screwup.

Although, given how their service has gone completely downhill lately (for me at any rate), I wouldn't be surprised if NewEgg dropped the ball on quality control this time around. Seriously, did their shipping people never bother to notice a PAPER STICKER where the fan should have been?

raabscuttle

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
[citation][nom]nimbus77[/nom]I'll still continue to buy from newegg[/citation]
Newegg shill? (there are a LOT of them on Toms - just look for a article about a desktop and then see a bunch of comments on buying it from newegg)...

jwl3

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
Newegg has earned my trust over 7+ years. This has zero effect on my willingness to shop with them. They have incredible prices and are the most trustworthy company I've ever dealt with. Low prices and good service almost never coincide - except with Newegg.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]kelemvor4[/nom]D&H scam fail. Hopefully newegg will learn their lesson and stop buying from companies like this. I find it interesting that a big site like newegg wouldn't be buying directly from Intel.[/citation]
Speaking from experience, this is how companies like Newegg _look_ like they are so big. Put another way, Newegg's warehouses are not Newegg's warehouses, yet the warehouses of their wholesalers who then drop ship to customers and make it look like it came from "the store you think you bought from."

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
I love, absolutely love the power of the internet - and admire beyond words the benefit of such things coming to the surface for all to see! D&H shouldn't be sending Tom's cease and desist orders but rather thanking them for this! Goes to show you how the companies would rather give it up the *ss then taking it, and threaten instead of cooperating. Any time I read a "cease and desist order", the first thing that pops in my mind is "GOTCHA!!!". Great job Jane!!!

jmessen

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
They're probably Intel marketing samples that were shipped by mistake.

Everything's not a conspiracy, after all.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
Maybe when actual facts are associated with this story, there will be a reason to comment (then again the bulk of the comments are just unthinking flames, so what's the difference)

cruiseoveride

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2006
I hate toms way of attaching images to their posts. Its so F'ing annoying to get them bigger. You need to click like 3 times, and you get 3 new pages each time. WTF

G

Interesting that there's no mention of Hardocp at all in the article since it was them that actually brought the whole issue to light. ;) Actually, it's not interesting, there's a competition going on. :)

rockinthepe

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
D&H can't demand anything if they sent bad products, this is how capitalism works, if you send bad products people don't buy things from you furthermore they discourage others from buying potentially bad products.

Status
Not open for further replies.