NewEgg Ships Fake Core i7s to Unlucky Customers

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

digitalrazoe

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
D&H .. instead of threatening with Legal cease and desist .. could you be more helpful in finding out WHERE THE REAL PROCESSORS ARE ? or maybe FIND OUT HOW THIS COULD HAPPEN ? The very notion that you took offense and got defensive makes it seem like you don't care... what ? we "little people" aren't worth your time ? REALLY ? This comment places the responsibility on you to find out how this happened ! So .. how many retail outlets do you service ? Who is the competition to you that COULD be putting these fake Items out ? Granted if these allegations are not true to your company then ok .. an apology will be given. but NEVER insult the freedom of the internet to expose the wrong doings of some distributor ( may it be D&H or others ) when a consumer pays an overly inflated price for a chip ( no fault of the NewEgg or D&H )that is nothing but a mold of wax and aluminum !!!

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Fake computer products happen all the time in the industry.

Many times, the fakes are re-labeled functional products. I remember many years ago at a store I worked in, our shipment of AMD CPUs were "funny", AMD actually sent out representatives to look at and retrieve the illegal CPUs as we had trays of them. Our distributor credited us back of course.

At any point in the shipping, a person can swap out parts... whole notebooks gets stolen out of places like D&H. D&H is like any other dist... their threat those is stupid. If they supplies the FAKE chips, so be it... track it down... somewhere between Intel's factories Costa Rica or Asia and D&H the chips were swapped with sophisticated fakes.

If anyone here has been in a computer industry distribution center, you know that security varies and theres dozens or hundreds of people working with millions of dollars in hardware.

Most likely and somewhat easy... someone with a fork-lift traded a pallet of GOOD CPUS with the fakes. Then perhaps dumped the 300 or so boxes of CPUs into PC case boxes. About 40 to a box = 8 boxes. Then with a PO, put those 8 PC-boxes into a truck and go.

This most likely happened at D&H warehouse... but could still have happened during transport. But then you might as well steal the whole container. A 1~3 man job could make this happen. Hell, we've had employees throw PC parts in the garbage - so they could come back later after we close to get thousands in electronics.

Also, someone got their hands on intel packaging (defects) and spent time making the fake label with "SOCHETS" LOL... My guess, the OCR software screwed up.

Lets put some value on the 300 missing CPUs. Depending on where they were stolen and where they are sold matters. Also, if the thieves sell the CPUs through a legit business, they risk getting caught... all our CPUs, HDs, video cards, etc have serial numbers.

Newegg sells the i7 920s for $290... meaning D&H sells it for about $260.
D&H might have paid intel $230 per CPU. The thieves may sell the CPU on ebay for $250~300. If they are too cheap, that'll get them noticed... best to sell at retail slowly or dump them to small-time resellers.

Value: Retail = $90,000
Value: dist. = $78,000

I've seen a kid show me his Bargain CPU he bought at a flea-market, I looked at it and said it was a slower CPU, but as long as it worked...he could live with it (no refunds). Imagine seeing bins of CPUs at 1.8Ghz, 2.0Ghz, 2.4Ghz and 2.8Ghz with their different pricing... with no labels or packaging on the CPUs.... so what are you getting?? ;)

popswiss

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2009
Everyone is saying this is not neweggs fault, but it is their supplier. They need to drop them immediately. If this was an error, D&H shouldn't be sending out cease and desist letter, but appology letters. They aren't doing that, so drop them newegg. I will continue to purchase from them, but I hope they make the right choice here.

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
D&H probably was the supplier to those pre-released...a.k.a...not for retail versions of the Intel SSD drives back in the day from Newegg also...haha

LoL at teh fan!!

Looks like what you would get over in China Town...

I feel sorry for the people who purchased these, noting like being pumped up before a new build to later find out that your fan is a souvenir and the CPU is useless...Funny thing is the fact that whoever shipped that CPU should have caught that sticker, it looks kinda obvious even from far away...

goodguy713

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
i dont know who runs the inventory department there at new egg or B&H but i would think they would log sku #'s for those .they are not exactly cheap and allows for better tracking of inventory. where i work they inspect shipments before they are accepted. if i saw some thing that bogus we would reject the shipment entirely or at the very least reject the phony cpu's and contact the supplier. sounds like some one's playing the blame game to me.

canyoutellme

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
You guys all owe D&H an apology... a HUGE one. See, this is what happens when you guys rip a company to shreds without getting the details first.
Go read the story at http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2361104,00.asp

You'll find the supplier was IPEX and not D&H... Tsk Tsk... how many of you will go on record and apologize to D&H? No, I do not work there. I'm just sick of the knee-jerk public who read one thing and decide to rip innoncents to shreds without any actual evidence. Shame on you all.

Tom's hardware should also post the apology as stated in the cease and decist letter.

have a nice day!

dertechie

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
You guys should probably add an update on the finger pointing switching from D&H to IPEX. After the quick switch, waiting for the investigation to turn something more solid up.

ottcomputing

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
Wow!!! I wonder if Tom's Hardware is gonna get sued for breaking a story that is completely wrong. D&H's reputation could have been badly damaged, but in my opinion it's Tom's reputation that has been tarnished here.

goodguy713

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
[citation][nom]goodguy713[/nom]i dont know who runs the inventory department there at new egg or B&H but i would think they would log sku #'s for those .they are not exactly cheap and allows for better tracking of inventory. where i work they inspect shipments before they are accepted. if i saw some thing that bogus we would reject the shipment entirely or at the very least reject the phony cpu's and contact the supplier. sounds like some one's playing the blame game to me.[/citation]

well in that case B&H should be Fine its been around sense the 90's as far as i can remember they sell a lot of mac and pc hardware but specialize in cameras and video recorders. my dad orders a lot of stuff from them and has never had any issues with them. Although i still say better inventory tracking and or quality control would of prevented this.

whiz

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
[citation][nom]Marco925[/nom]That fan doesn't even look like it fits in the heatsink mounting holes[/citation]

Maybe because it's not a fan?!?

How could NewEgg do something so stupid as to send a mass alert out with the wrong supplier targeted? No wonder D&H was pissed off. But as someone who makes a living in the warehousing/logistics industry, I'd like to know how these fake units were shipped. Were they packed in the same boxes with legitimate chips or were they all packed together separately in their own boxes? Does the distributor "IPEX" inspect it's shipments or what?

Status
Not open for further replies.