NewEgg Ships Fake Core i7s to Unlucky Customers

Status
Not open for further replies.

JasonAkkerman

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008
That sure does suck for NewEgg. They run a good site over there. It's going to look bad on them that one of their suppliers failed them like this.

pbravo

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
If D&H was the source of these "demo" chips, then D&H should be the one to apologize. And, if they do not know what happened, they should begin an investigation and let everyone know that they are doing so. That is how to save their reputation, not by telling everyone to shut up about it.

sot010174

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2004
Text:

1st: "Looks that there is a fan in there right"?
2nd: "Looks legit enough"
3rd: "It was shipped all broken" (blister)
4th: "Whole thing was a sticker!!"
5th: "Blank Booklet"
6yh: "Bubbles"

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
This is not something newegg did bad, this is something that one of newegg's suppliers did bad. These are unopened boxes, no way for newegg to figure that out until the hard way. Shame on the Supplier for doing this, and SCREW their C&D orders.

coldmast

Distinguished
May 8, 2007
"We (Creim Macias Koenig & Frey) demand that you
(i) cease and desist posting such defamatory material about D&H.;
(ii) remove the contact and any reference to D&H from your website; and,
(iii) post an immediate retraction and apology which shall remain posted for not less than thirty days."

Funny I would demand that D&H
(i) provide evidence that they were not the distributors of said *units*
(ii) if they are at fault, track who is responsible, whether it be intel, employees, or thieves.
(iii) post an apology letter on behalf of newegg to all those whom order these *units* expected to receive i7 920 processor and H/S&F.

Lavacon

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
Nice.... Demo units with no mention of them being demo units on the box. Misspellings and weird product numbers... wow.. silly me for thinking there was something sketchy going on here.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]azs[/nom]How do you spell Socket surely not "sochet" as on the fake label.[/citation]
Good catch! I didn't see that the first time through. Yeah, what Dreadlock should do is tell D&H to take their Cease and Desist order, shove it up their collective asses and set fire to it. Then proceed to email copies of the pictures and the harassment emails to Intel's customer relations people, as well as the FTC Bureau of Consumer Protection. Then wait and see who ends up giving an apology.

kelemvor4

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
D&H scam fail. Hopefully newegg will learn their lesson and stop buying from companies like this. I find it interesting that a big site like newegg wouldn't be buying directly from Intel.

I wonder if tomshardware will comply with the letter from D&H when they get one and delete this article, or will they do the right thing and maintain some journalistic integrity.

[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]This is why I stopped buying retail and when I do get ripped its a paypal dispute.[/citation]
Exactly why I *don't* use paypal for anything over about $10. paypal's dispute policy is atrocious, and the protection banks provide you with your debit card is far superior. Last time I had to file a chargeback with my bank on something I had the money back in less than a week.

Not that a chargeback should come into play here; it appears newegg is taking the high road and making it right - although customers are probably getting screwed on the extra time it will take to get them real product (as well as some shipping costs for the rma).

flyinfinni

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Not Newegg's fault at all here- that box and all looks plenty legit that unless you KNEW it was a fake and were looking for signs of it, you'd never notice. Its a bummer that Newegg (who has responded and remedied the situation quite well) is gonna get some bad rep from this because there is nothing more they could have done before, or could do now. I'm questions D&H because they are so adamant about everyone shutting up about it with all their cease and desist letters and crap.

Incredibly bad form on the part of D&H. If D&H is the sole supplier of Intel Core i7 920 cpu's to newegg.com, then D&H might has some explaining to do. On the other hand if newegg.com has a problem with inventory control in the warehouse, then they have some explaining to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.