collin8579

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
I have been doing some research for the last day or two, trying to find a Raid Controller card for a home server I am building, that supports Raid 6 and 8 drives

I have found a number of cards, but they are all old as dirt, having been out for a 1-3 years

Are there any newer Raid controller cards?
Or are the ones that are a year or two old acceptable?

Computer tech changes so fast I didn't know if it was ok to have an older Raid card,,

The ones I'm looking at currently are,
3ware 9650SE-8LPML
areca ARC-1220 PCI-Express x8 SATA II
HighPoint RocketRAID 3520 SATA II RAID

Those are the 3 I found that might be acceptable,, but it makes me really nervous when looking at the MB compatibility list and they are all old as dirt as well,,,

How do I choose a decent motherboard when their compatibility list hasn't been updated in a year or two?

I'm really wary now,,

Does anybody have any thoughts on newer Raid cards, or maybe one coming out soon?
Or if I have to choose one of these, a decent MB that works with them,,

Collin

collin8579

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
Oh,
I am going to be using up to 8 1tb-1.5 tb drives in the Raid 6 array

Also, How do I check if the older raid cards work with the new 1.5tb drives?

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
Adaptec 5805 is new with what you want. They also have the slightly old 3*** series that is still good.

As for drive support youll have to research on the manufacturers website or ask their support team. I know Adaptecs support has been good to me in the past. BTW if you want partitions greater than 2TB make sure you use GPT disks.

collin8579

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
That doesn't look bad,,
do you know where they have a MB compatibility list? I can't seem to find it on their site,,

Hovaucf

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
If you want the latest cards from the most reputable companies look at,

the 8xxx series from LSI, the 9xxx series from 3Ware, or the 5xxx series from Adaptec.

Additionally 6gb SAS cards will eventually be coming out for your information, but are well beyond the scope of your needs.