Question Newly built PC now boots directly to BIOS...Please help!

Nov 9, 2019
Hello all…desperate for your help.

Situation: Newly build PC boots to BIOS now

Specifics: PC started off booting properly the first week to windows no problem. All of a sudden, it started booting directly to BIOS and I cannot figure out why. NOTE: I do recall originally having an issue with Windows 10 installation NOT seeing my SSD in the M.2…but then after several attempts to install, it all of a sudden popped up and recognized it. Not sure if this is an indication of something important.

What I’ve done so far to try and fix:
  • Ensured all things are connected properly (i.e. RAM, CPU, CPU heat sink/fan, etc.
  • Looked into BIOS and cannot see my SSD drive which is properly inserted into the M.2 slot.
  • Tried reinstalling Windows 10, but its having the same issue I wrote about above - - it does not see my SSD and therefore cannot reinstall windows.
For now I am holding back my frustration and needing to put my fist through the screen…LOL. Hope you guys can help. Thank you!!!!
The important PC parts:

Putting your fist through the screen is childish, and will accomplish nothing. Don't do that. Plus, it will hurt. You will probably hurt yourself far more than the screen, although it WILL probably be ruined and that will teach it, won't it? :rolleyes:

Kidding.

Moving right along.

Your drive probably WON'T be seen in the BIOS until and unless you enable the PCI/NVME options in the BIOS, if there ARE any, on the System or Boot sub menus.

Before that though, is your Windows installation a clean install or did you clone an existing installation to this drive from another drive?

If you installed Windows on this NVME drive, were there other drives attached to the system at all which had EVER had Windows installed on THEM?

Nov 9, 2019
UPDATE: Problem Solved!
How: Shut PC down; unplugged all wires; reset CMOS; took out SSD from M.2 slot and blew it off to ensure no dust was on it; reseated SSD back into M.2 slot; hit power button a few times; plugged everything back in; turned PC back on and BOOM...Windows loaded properly. To make sure it wasn't a fluke, I restarted the PC five more times....each time properly loading to Windows login screen (and not directly to BIOS). Last thing I did was check BIOS and my SSD is now showing up. Time will tell if the SSD is truly "ok"...because for a week this PC was loading properly...but all of a sudden started going directly to BIOS. But for now it appears the problem has been solved.

I've seen no less than ten other threads with your exact motherboard where people went through the same problems as you just to find out there was actually a problem with the M.2 slot, and they had to RMA the motherboard. If you find you are having the same issue again at some point, I wouldn't waste any more time. Just contact the manufacturer immediately.