Question newly built Windows 11 blue screening semi-consistently 0x0000003b system service exceptionand DRIVER IRQL_LESS_OR_NOT_EQUAL / 0x000000d1

Jun 21, 2023
7700x | 2x16gb ddr5 (6000mhz) | 3080 | B650M PG Riptide Wifi
dmp files

I initially started with a clean install of Windows 10 before upgrading to 11, and then doing another clean install of 10 since I encountered issues with 11. The bluescreens I initially encountered in 11 while gaming were "attempted to write to read only memory" and "kernel security check failure". I haven't experienced either of these since.
I then went back to 11 and in the process of installing the OS I had a blue screen (can't recall what, it might have been system service exception). installation continued, but obviously something went wrong if it was blue screening during the OS install, so I did another one last clean install of Windows 11.

Currently the main blue screen I encounter is "system service exception" and in the event viewer I am given "0x0000003b".

It tends to happen after a period of gaming, but I noticed it happening while I was multitasking in my browser and music software.

The strangest thing to me is that whenever I reinstall my NVIDIA drivers the issue seems to go away, but it returns whenever I shut down or reset the computer. However I haven't tested long enough after reinstalling the GPU drivers to see if that's actually the case.

I also just experienced DRIVER IRQL_LESS_OR_NOT_EQUAL / 0x000000d1 after connecting to wifi and opening YouTube
I tried uploading the dmp file, but it wouldn't upload anywhere... I'd guess it's corrupted, however I'm able to open and view it in bluescreen view and whocrashed
View: https://imgur.com/a/ZOYfK0T

View: https://imgur.com/a/9jRs0KI

I had the computer built and bios set up at a shop a week ago and as far as hardware issues go they said everything was fine, so their advice was basically something has gone wrong with the OS install or my installation of drivers. I'm just at a loss since I can't figure out could have gone wrong with either at this point. All I've done is cleanly install the OS one last time, which seemingly went fine, and the drivers off of my motherboards website, as well as the GPU driver. Nothing is showing up as outdated in device manager.

If it's a driver issue I don't know what it could be. If it's hardware I don't know went wrong between the people who built the computer and them handing it off to me. They did mention there could be an issue with the ram running at 6000mhz, but when they tested it they said it was fine. If it's the OS, I'm not sure what's going wrong during installation.

Please let me know if I missed any important information. I really appreciate any help.

ubuysa

Distinguished
My first instinct on reading these dumps is that this is a RAM issue. TBH, if it's failing during Windows install then it's absolutely a hardware problem, the Windows installation system is all Microsoft modules and drivers.

All five dumps are a SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION bugcheck (0x3B), this means that an exception happened during the execution of a kernel routine - in all dumps here the exception was a memory access violation, an attempt to access an invalid memory location.

Of the five dumps, four all fail on the Windows function call nt!MiPerformVadSplitting, which operates on Virtual Address Space Descriptors (VAD), with an exception code of 0xC0000005, which is a memory access violation...
Code:
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  0x3B_c0000005_nt!MiPerformVadSplitting

The fifth dump fails on the Windows win32kbase!CaptureLogicalCursorPosToQMouseMove function, also with an 0xC0000005 exception code...
Code:
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  0x3B_c0000005_win32kbase!CaptureLogicalCursorPosToQMouseMove
In addition, there are no third-party drivers on any of the calls stacks, that's a good indication of a hardware issue.

I would start be removing both RAM cards and then re-inserting them fully. If it still fails then remove one RAM card and try running on just one, if it fails then swap the cards and run on just the other one. If it still fails try using the other slots, one card at a time.

BTW. Check that the model of RAM cards you have are on the QVL for the motherboard.

If it still fails then I'd go back to the builder and ask them to install Windows and all drivers for you, then shutdown and reboot and verify that it all works.

Reactions: panters
Jun 21, 2023
My first instinct on reading these dumps is that this is a RAM issue. TBH, if it's failing during Windows install then it's absolutely a hardware problem, the Windows installation system is all Microsoft modules and drivers.

All five dumps are a SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION bugcheck (0x3B), this means that an exception happened during the execution of a kernel routine - in all dumps here the exception was a memory access violation, an attempt to access an invalid memory location.

Of the five dumps, four all fail on the Windows function call nt!MiPerformVadSplitting, which operates on Virtual Address Space Descriptors (VAD), with an exception code of 0xC0000005, which is a memory access violation...
Code:
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  0x3B_c0000005_nt!MiPerformVadSplitting

The fifth dump fails on the Windows win32kbase!CaptureLogicalCursorPosToQMouseMove function, also with an 0xC0000005 exception code...
Code:
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  0x3B_c0000005_win32kbase!CaptureLogicalCursorPosToQMouseMove
In addition, there are no third-party drivers on any of the calls stacks, that's a good indication of a hardware issue.

I would start be removing both RAM cards and then re-inserting them fully. If it still fails then remove one RAM card and try running on just one, if it fails then swap the cards and run on just the other one. If it still fails try using the other slots, one card at a time.

BTW. Check that the model of RAM cards you have are on the QVL for the motherboard.

If it still fails then I'd go back to the builder and ask them to install Windows and all drivers for you, then shutdown and reboot and verify that it all works.
Just wanted to say I appreciate the detailed advice. I reinserted the ram and no problems so far today, but it's probably too soon and hard to say since it's hard to replicate the crashes. Do you have any advice on anything I can do to stress test/replicate the blue screens? Like I know 4/5 failed on a memory access violation, but I don't know what that means exactly or if there's any way to replicate that other than just using the computer and waiting for it to happen.
Also I was curious what third-party drivers on call stacks is and what a lack of that means?

most significantly, I just looked into my RAM btw... I don't really know what any of it means exactly, but the RAM I have is F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5N and when I searched this model on here and select "show QVL only" it filters out my model.... https://pangoly.com/en/compatibility/asrock-b650m-pg-riptide-wifi/ram
Did I pick the wrong RAM?
I have two days to submit a refund for it...

Last edited:

ubuysa

Distinguished
The RAM QVL for your board is here. You RAM is number two on the G.Skill list, so you're good.

The dump call stack is a record of the various driver functions that were called in the lead-up to the bugcheck. If a third-party driver is on the call stack it's almost certain that this driver is the one that caused the bugcheck - because Windows drivers are considered to be perfect (and mostly they are). If you get a dump with only Windows drivers on the call stack, then the BSOD wasn't caused by a third-party driver (probably) and since Windows drivers don't fail the cause is most likely hardware.

That said, it's never wise to make a diagnosis on one dump, but if you see five or six dumps with no third-party drivers on the call stack than that's a strong indication of a hardware cause.

Just because the RAM is on the QVL doesn't mean it can't be defective. The standard stress test people seem to start out with is Prime95 for 24h.

Understandably a shop may prefer a test that doesn't take this long so their tests may not catch as many issues, but they'll still know what that is, so if you tell them it fails they should have no problem with swapping out your memory.

Reactions: panters
Jun 21, 2023
The RAM QVL for your board is here. You RAM is number two on the G.Skill list, so you're good.

The dump call stack is a record of the various driver functions that were called in the lead-up to the bugcheck. If a third-party driver is on the call stack it's almost certain that this driver is the one that caused the bugcheck - because Windows drivers are considered to be perfect (and mostly they are). If you get a dump with only Windows drivers on the call stack, then the BSOD wasn't caused by a third-party driver (probably) and since Windows drivers don't fail the cause is most likely hardware.

That said, it's never wise to make a diagnosis on one dump, but if you see five or six dumps with no third-party drivers on the call stack than that's a strong indication of a hardware cause.
Well, it's been 4-5 days and not a single issue since removing the ram and putting it back in... kind of perplexed lol, but I'm kind of relieved and if it's working I guess it's working? Hopefully no issues from here on out, but I appreciate your advice once again (both of you). Sorry to ask another question, but I'm curious how just reinserting ram can fix such a consistent problem, especially if it wasn't faced by the people who built my PC.

If any similar blue screens happen again I'll definitely properly test both ram, but to think I thought it was driver issues this whole time....

ubuysa

Distinguished
It's not uncommon for re-seating RAM to fix niggly issues. At those frequencies the tiniest microscopic spec of dust between a pin in the card slot and the RAM card can cause havoc. The first thing we ask anyone who we suspect may have a RAM issue to do, is to reseat the RAM cards. I think you can sleep easy.

If it does BSOD again, try running on one RAM card at a time for a while.

Jun 21, 2023
It's not uncommon for re-seating RAM to fix niggly issues. At those frequencies the tiniest microscopic spec of dust between a pin in the card slot and the RAM card can cause havoc. The first thing we ask anyone who we suspect may have a RAM issue to do, is to reseat the RAM cards. I think you can sleep easy.

If it does BSOD again, try running on one RAM card at a time for a while.
hate to update this thread, but figure I'd ask for yours or anyone's advice before I take the computer into the shop.

So, the bluescreen issue returned, and I've tested my computer out using only one of the 16gb sticks of ram. Both sticks on their own seem to work fine, maybe I haven't been testing long enough, but once I put a second stick in the crashes return semi consistently. Additionally, whenever games crash now (without bluescreening) my desktop gets screwy (screen freezes, icons messed up, windows move around but leave tracers). I tried changing the ram speed from 6000 to "auto" which is 4800 and that seems to make no difference.

I did memtest86 and it passed all three times (two individual rams and together), but whenever I try to do Windows Memory Diagnostic nothing ever happens. I press F1 for options and am just given a blank blue screen and have to restart.

here are the results and some new dmp files

additionally I've done sfc /scannow a few times the past week just to see, and just now no "integrity violations" were found, but before that it always basically said problems were found, but they couldn't be fixed.

really appreciate anyone's help