Next Xbox Rumored to get Two GPUs, Hexacore CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
I was liking everything I was reading until this:
"an always-on Internet connection will be a requirement for the Xbox for piracy protection purposes"

When will they learn that hardcore DRM like this cripples the user experience? I can just imagine my internet connection going out and not be able to play games even in campaign mode.

EzioAs

Distinguished
This is good news right? If they integrate 2 GPU into the Xbox, all game developers will optimize their games and SLI or crossfire will scale better for the PC once it's being ported or am I wrong?

masseybe84

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010
If this is true it can mean nothing but good things. It would be nice for developers to actually start developing games for 4 cores and 2 GPU's instead of having to hope for some half hearted support on the PC or a driver update to get SLI/Crossfire working.

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
I'm guessing the always on internet connection is false. I can see having to log in to activate or register a game on first use but always on? I'm thinking that is wild speculation.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
posted the link to the original article if you couldnt find it in the article above:

http://www.vg247.com/2012/04/02/xbox-720-detailed-blu-ray-inside-always-on-netcon-required/

from what I heard, other than the link above, its going to use an APU and an extra gpu chip is rumored at this point. No confirmations on anything yet so take any news with a grain of salt.

hoof_hearted

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
"always on Internet connection" ...

Personally, I game mostly on the PC, but have a 360 for jRPGs. I use the 360 for many jRPG games such as Final Fantasy, Tales games, etc. Also good for my kids where I don't really want them on the internet. I only hook it to the internet every now and then to update, but that is pretty much it. PLus it is fun to take it on trips where we dont really want to be "connected". I guess they want to eliminate this market.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
[citation][nom]southernshark[/nom]I hope it does not have a BD player. That technology is such crap.Just put a SD card slot on it. They could put games on those. Let the spinning disk die!!!![/citation]
I wouldn't want to pay over a 100$ for every boxed game I buy...

But if it's always online, then I won't be getting it anyways...

SmileyTPB1

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2006
It is also rumored to be able to walk your dog, help your children with their homework, do the dishes, mow the lawn, balance your checkbook, do your taxes, watch all your daily television for you, wash your car, revive the dead and battle both vampires and werewolves. Most importantly it is the handiest kitchen gadget ever! It slices, it dices, it chops and cuts, it's Sledge-o-Matic!

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
The current 360 is such a marketing POS. It is nothing but a constant stream of advertisements, and not even one's I'm interested in.

It can have all the processing power in the world, but if I have to create some childish avatar to create an account then I'll stick with PC gaming. Consoles these days are for kids.

rmpumper

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
X720 - always-on Internet connection
PS4 - no used game support

My guess is that a lot of people will migrate to PC's in coming years.

DaddyW123

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
[citation][nom]southernshark[/nom]I hope it does not have a BD player. That technology is such crap.Just put a SD card slot on it. They could put games on those. Let the spinning disk die!!!![/citation]
LOTS of people are still buying BD Movies and even DVD movies from the bargain bins. If any company wants to be the all inclusive media center of your home (games, movies, music, web...) they can't do away with the disc format.
And while I agree, I wish that games would move to SD Cards, they are still more expensive than a disc, and harder to copyright preventing pirating.

We'll get there some day, it is not that day.

As for the always-on internet connection - yeah, that's crap. If I buy the game, I should be able to play it whenever, where ever I want.

In my opinion, a little piracy is actually good for business. I don't do a lot of gaming, so occasionally I have downloaded a game rather than purchasing it. The idea here being, if I didn't download it, I simply wouldn't have played it at all.
After having played the game and liked it, I have purchased the sequel to said game, which gave the developer money from me they normally wouldn't have gotten if I hadn't pirated the first one.

Same goes for music. I now am being good and purchase all my music from Amazon MP3 (even still buy a CD from time to time) - but back in the day, I used to pirate a couple songs from an album, and if I liked them, I would go out and buy the CD. Had I never pirated those first couple songs, I would not have known I liked it and purchased the CD.

Now pirating something that you KNOW you want, just because you are too cheap to pay for it - well that's wrong. But I use pirating like a testing bed, then I pay for what I like later, and delete what I didn't like.

trumpeter1994

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
So they're putting current hardware in now and then expecting PC gamers to deal with those limits for the next 5-10 years...... Thats awesome, especially because it will already be getting outdated by the time it hits the shelves in 2013. If microsoft couldn't keep the original 360 cool then I don't know how they expect console gamers to keep this cool.....

jonnyboyC

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
Why two gpus? really doesn't make sense to me, it's not like they're going to be a high end gpu. The only reason i could think it would be like this would be so they could clock down the cores so it would be more power efficient but then it becomes more expensive because they have to by two dies instead of one for each console

Status
Not open for further replies.