NF-F12 Fan Broken?

NS_frostbite

Reputable
Dec 20, 2015
Hi
I bought 3 Noctua NF-F12 3000 PWM fans only a few days ago which are all plugged into CHA_FAN headers on my motherboard, and have been working fine since I installed them.

But when I turned my PC on today, I noticed one wasn't spinning. I checked the BIOS and it says N/A for that fan header, so it's not even detecting it. I tried plugging it into different headers but still nothing.

This probably doesn't matter - but that particular fan was connected via a Noctua SEC-1 PWM extension cable. But even without the extension cable it still doesn't work anymore.

I find it hard to believe it's broken after only 2 days of use... especially a Noctua industrial fan that are designed to last for years. Could anybody shed some light on what could've happened here? Did the motor really just die?

Solution
No idea what happened but electronics tend to die within a very short period from delivery, or go on for ages without problems (the "bathtub" failure curve) ... they come with a 6 year warranty, so just get a replacement :)