NF7 v.2 Dual Channel Memory Question

Hi,

I've got the NF7 v.2 with 512 MB (2x256) of PC3200 dual channel memory. I
was think of adding some memory. Can I still keep it running at DDR400 dual
channel performance if I put in another stick of memory in DIMM1 (I'm
currently using DIMM2 and DIMM3) with my Geil PC3200 CL2 memory? It seems
that the documentation in some other nForce 2 400 ultra motherboards
(Shuttle and Gigabyte) allows you to keep the dual channel performance using
all three DIMM slots. The NF7 manual does not provide any information.

Or am I out of luck and have to simply replace the the 2 256MB modules with
2 512MB modules in order to retain the dual channel performance? Any
thoughts?

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 14:00:53 -0400, "Lankshire" <bg281@scn.org> wrote:

>Hi,

>I've got the NF7 v.2 with 512 MB (2x256) of PC3200 dual channel memory. I
>was think of adding some memory. Can I still keep it running at DDR400 dual
>channel performance if I put in another stick of memory in DIMM1 (I'm
>currently using DIMM2 and DIMM3) with my Geil PC3200 CL2 memory? It seems
>that the documentation in some other nForce 2 400 ultra motherboards
>(Shuttle and Gigabyte) allows you to keep the dual channel performance using
>all three DIMM slots. The NF7 manual does not provide any information.

>Or am I out of luck and have to simply replace the the 2 256MB modules with
>2 512MB modules in order to retain the dual channel performance? Any
>thoughts?

Generally, just get a 512 stick of the same Geil PC3200 CL2, and run
the GiG at the same settings as you have managed on the 2x256.

What MOBO do you have ?

BoroLad

It's an Abit NF7 v.2. What would be the best arrangement? The 2 256MB
modules in DIMM1 and DIMM2 and the 512MB in DIMM3?

Lankshire wrote:
> It's an Abit NF7 v.2. What would be the best arrangement? The 2
> 256MB modules in DIMM1 and DIMM2 and the 512MB in DIMM3?

Yes, that is exactly how to install the memory, since one channel of the
dual channel controller is DIMM slots 1&2, and the other is slot 3.

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 16:59:11 -0400, "Lankshire" <bg281@scn.org> wrote:

>It's an Abit NF7 v.2. What would be the best arrangement? The 2 256MB
>modules in DIMM1 and DIMM2 and the 512MB in DIMM3?

Just leave as it is, put the new 512 in the spare slot, it will just
work, promise !

What BIOS you on ?

BoroLad

><borolad@myowseintheboro.org> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 14:00:53 -0400, "Lankshire" <bg281@scn.org> wrote:
>>
>> >Hi,
>>
>> >I've got the NF7 v.2 with 512 MB (2x256) of PC3200 dual channel memory.
>> >was think of adding some memory. Can I still keep it running at DDR400
>dual
>> >channel performance if I put in another stick of memory in DIMM1 (I'm
>> >currently using DIMM2 and DIMM3) with my Geil PC3200 CL2 memory? It
>seems
>> >that the documentation in some other nForce 2 400 ultra motherboards
>> >(Shuttle and Gigabyte) allows you to keep the dual channel performance
>using
>> >all three DIMM slots. The NF7 manual does not provide any information.
>>
>> >Or am I out of luck and have to simply replace the the 2 256MB modules
>with
>> >2 512MB modules in order to retain the dual channel performance? Any
>> >thoughts?
>>
>> Generally, just get a 512 stick of the same Geil PC3200 CL2, and run
>> the GiG at the same settings as you have managed on the 2x256.
>>
>> What MOBO do you have ?
>>
>> BoroLad

BUFF

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2003

"Lankshire" <bg281@scn.org> wrote in message
> It's an Abit NF7 v.2. What would be the best arrangement? The 2 256MB
> modules in DIMM1 and DIMM2 and the 512MB in DIMM3?

yes, that way you will balance the load on the memory controllers (slot 1 &
2 are on one & 3 is on the other).