Nintendo Finally Responds To Switch's Joy-Con Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

atavax

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
Do these solutions seem not credible for a lot of users? Yes. But it sounds like you're living in an echo chamber with comments like "the Switch is probably not going to be anyone's only console" and "Combine those with set-top boxes, wireless routers, speakers, and the like, and it's hard to imagine a scenario in which the Joy-Con and the Switch will be in perfect harmony."

I'm sorry, but not everyone can afford multiple consoles of the same gen and actually in my experience a lot of PC gamers don't buy non nintendo consoles, simply because the other brand consoles overlap with PC gaming too much.

millenials are the cable cutters and the cable nevers, lack of a tv box is common. I'm not aware of any reason to have the wireless router right next to the TV. Wireless speakers are a luxury most people don't have, and i am not aware of a reason to keep a wireless router right next to the TV.

targetdrone

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2012
So not only does the Switch require a day one SD card upgrade but you also need to invest heavily in Tin Foil to keep unwanted signals out of your gaming room.

Emanuel Elmo

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014
So $300 for a device that you can not put anywhere you want and must keep out of the way of any wireless source. Oh and if your hands are too big... good luck with that.

btw... the knew about this... Yea... I'll stick with PS4... I can put that anywhere I want and not have an issue... Did i mention the PS4 is also 300 bucks.

It is a shame. There is no time like the present to rip people off of their hard earned money.

Emanuel Elmo

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014

it is a shame it has come to that. It sure is early adopters=beta testers.

I guess the good old days of company QC'ing the crap out of there product is long gone.

Warsaw

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
Disappointing to hear about initial problems with the switch. Have real high hopes for the console and looking forward to get one, just unfortunate that it launched with these issues.

Argent6978

Reputable
May 26, 2015
I don't know what you people are talking about. I've been using my Switch just fine with no interference problems. The dock sits right between my PlayStation 4 and a DirecTV box. I also always either use the joy con grip to put the controllers in, or if I feel like relaxing my arms more, I put the wrist strap connections on the joy cons. I had heard of the connection issue before I got my Switch and was concerned, but now I don't see any big issue with it at all.

dstarr3

Distinguished

Well, you know, I kinda get it. Consoles are much more sophisticated and complicated than they ever were, and they're selling in greater numbers than ever before. It used to be that if, say, there was a problem that only occurred once in a million times, it'd take forever for that problem to crop up. But now, a one-in-a-million problem is affecting a pretty large number of people on day one. These things that used to be small problems scale up to large problems with such a large user base.

TabarKnack

Prominent
Mar 4, 2017
Switch Owner here and I must admit the left joycon losing connection intermittently is very frustrating. I have no aquariums and I sit from 8 feet from my console and TV. This is the only product I have that has this issue. Works perfectly when attached to the console(Played for a few hours) but disconnecting them is another thing. The Right joycon works flawlessly but the Left just stops working. I applied the day 1 patch and still have the issue.

I hope that Nintendo fixes this soon or else I'll be returning mine. I don't want to be forced to buy the Pro Controller because of this. How this escaped QA is beyond all comprehension, especially in 2017.

jlyu

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009
This is quite stupid of Nintendo (problem and the response). So there's about 10+ smartphones in the house about half turned off, several laptops, a few desktops with wifi adapters, Xbox one/360 with wifi, smart watches, cordless landline phone 500mhz or 700mhz band, microwaves, bts, cords, router, access points, tablets, wireless speakers and headsets. So am I suppose to find a place where none will be near my switch? They should have gone bluetooth or at least a wireless band that wouldn't have as much interference.

WhyAreYou

Prominent
Mar 4, 2017
I haven't had any problems yet, but this is definitely a big deal.
li3a.png

This console is less sophisticated than the other two, its essentially an overpriced tablet. The response from Nintendo is ridiculous, you should not have to turn everything electronic in your house off to play a console. I think it's a poor design, you should anticipate that you need some shielding from other electronic devices in a modern society.

I may be a bit selfish, but all I was hoping for with the new Nintendo was a Keep It Simple Stupid, plug and play, back to basics console, no frills, no gimmicks, just plays good games, all at native 1080p, and not be over priced. The only thing they got right that I wanted was going back to a cartridge type media. They ruined the rest!

Well, stuff happens. It's easy to call Nintendo stupid but wireless issues can be a bit complex in how a design shields/damages the signal and how linear it is, plus it's not clear how many people are affected.

This is not "ripping off" customers as clearly no company wants an issue like this.

I assume the PRO controller works?
You can also connect the Joy Cons and use the USB cable as a workaround.

There are ALWAYS early adopter woes. It doesn't make it a bad product in general, and there will be a fix at some point whether a workaround or even a new JOYCON design.

wifiburger

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2016
well Nintendo makes money off selling their consoles even if you don't buy their games, so it's not unexpected for them not to address the issue, wait to see if a firmware upgrade fixes the issue if not time to get ready for shipping replacement to customer or risk lawsuits !!!!!!

TEAMSWITCHER

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
Honestly, I've had only one connection issue thus far and it resolved itself in a couple of seconds. I've been playing Legend of Zelda - Breath of the Wild and it is one stunning title. The graphics you see in screen shots and in You Tube videos don't do it justice. It looks better than any Zelda title to date - and the open world gaming is simply a new high water mark for the industry. The para-glider is awesome - this games has more "Z-fun" that any I have ever played.

ttt_2017

Prominent
Feb 20, 2017

it is wireless ... thats why the interference ... it looks like either a cheap wireless (few channels) or a faulty design (The Antennas in bad place)

ttt_2017

Prominent
Feb 20, 2017
Nintendo response is Japanese style , they are educational .. it is not a stupid response , it is just the Japanese way , If you buy any product in Japan you will see illustrations in the manual which are educational and what to do and what not to do ... like heat source with X on them , Anything that can block signal and X on them and so on... Those illustrations are also FUNNY and KAWAII !!!

you Americans are just another culture thats all. Nintendo does respect their consumers. And they DO admit to fault... This is not the Final Solution from Nintendo , if there is a hardware fault it will be addressed . in the meanwhile , follow the instructions until the company finds the best way to solve it before they are forced to call back and replace the item.

This is how you should also respect Nintendo and dont judge so fast.

different culture ... Japanese people are more nice and less Arrogant. Americans need 100 years to understand the nice and Kawaii culture in Japan.

ttt_2017

Prominent
Feb 20, 2017

Its not about QA in 2017

it is about "Made in China" and "Made in Vietnam" ...

When everything was "Made in Japan" even Consoles for export ... we never had such issues even in the 1990's

ttt_2017

Prominent
Feb 20, 2017

They did not ruin the rest . they Just moved Handheld... look at this as the new 3DS and you will understand how awsome it is .. a True full console handheld.

Nintendo left the desktop console market and turned handheld . I allways waited for a really super powerful handheld Console that takes advantage of the fastest hardware available for handhelds and Nintendo did that 100%

all the Time I was sad that the Gameboy was 10 years older technology , and the the Advance and so on , all were 10 years older tech...

Today Nintendo gave us the latest Nvidia mobile chip , and the fastest available , they did not even go for Qualcomm or Samsung slower Mobile chip.

so Bravo for Nintendo , and open your eyes , this is not a new console , this is a new handheld console.

bananaforscale

Commendable
Mar 14, 2016
Interestingly Sony has managed to make wireless controllers that don't have these problems. It's not like the issue can't be solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.