Nintendo Network Accounts Tied to Only One Wii U

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]nameon[/nom]I swear all these console makers are seriously getting on my nerves, alienating people in the lower-middle class, NOT ALL OF US HAVE FAST INTERNET, NOT ALL OF US HAVE UNLIMITED INTERNET, NOT ALL OF US CAN AFFORD TO SEND BACK A CONSOLE JUST TO GET OUR ACCOUNTS BACK, NOT ALL OF US LIVE IN COUNTRIES WITH STABLE UN-INTERRUPTING ELECTRICITY, WE STILL GET F**KED OVER EVEN IF WE USE PROTECTION EQUIPMENT FOR OUR ELECTRICS!!!![/citation]

I lost count how many times I've said it. Playing games, internet, etc are all privileges, not a God given right.

I bought a 360 in 2005, and that newer slimmer Wii last year. I don't think any of these issues with Wii U is that big of a deal. I'm sure its a very tiny percentage of people who are actually effected.

desolation0

Distinguished
May 15, 2011
Okay, seem to have dropped my comment. Sorry if it double-posts. Sorry that it's significantly less comprehensive than my original comment.

People in other countries aren't guaranteed to have a good internet connection or power supply, no matter how much they might be willing to pay. They pay about as much as Western consumers for the same items, with usually some amount of premium. In light of their situation, Nintendo's policies so far are pretty horrible for them as consumers. Nintendo could have easily taken another route with both problems brought up so far, and saved much hassle for their customers. No they're not asking for ridiculous things, just that Nintendo put out a product more mindful of their situation. The news outlets like Tom's and Ars are doing a public service by informing these folks and others about issues they are likely to face with their shiny new consoles that they paid good money for.

[citation][nom]desolation0[/nom]Okay, seem to have dropped my comment...[/citation]

I copy every comment before submitting it. It doesn't happen very often, but when it does, especially if you've just solved age old questions like the meaning of life, curing cancer, and starvation. If I have multiple quotes, I tend to copy everything to notepad first, write it all up there, then paste it back onto Tom's. I feel your pain.

darkpgr

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012
does Tom's Hardware even RESEARCH the crap they post?

This is the second or third factually WRONG article about the Wii U they have posted.

First of all, the update isn't 5 GB. More like 1-2 GB.
Second, there were only a handful of people stupid enough to unplug it during the update. Even then, the Wii U is more than able to try and repair the damage done by finishing the update.
Third, there is NOTHING to worry about. Just like with the Wii, DSi, DSi XL, 3DS and 3DS XL before it, Nintendo will be more than happy to replace / transfer ALL your purchases, and the Nintendo Network ID itself, should your console need support.

And last but not least, this isn't news. The information was available on Nintendo's website before launch. Way to be slow.

nameon

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
[citation][nom]kinggraves[/nom]Hey, calm down. Let's real talk a second. You can't afford decent internet or to send a console in (assuming it isn't free, which it very well may be)? How did you afford to buy a console immediately after it was released at the highest price it could possibly be, in many cases overpriced? Maybe you should learn to live better within your means and buy what you can afford then. Newegg had an Xbox 360 BUNDLE for $200. Being an early adopter comes with a price, everyone on Tom's should know that by now. I don't think anyone should have to sacrifice just because some people can't afford to keep up. That huge update was internet content, if you have a slow internet you probably don't need it. Not necessary for playing games. Nintendo more than anyone caters to people with lower budgets, no mandatory subscription or 600 dollar hardware here.[/citation]
need i point out i never mentioned i actually bought the wii u, i was and am being cautious for reasons being proven to me continually as the news comes, my frustration is the whole direction the console market is going, their not putting enough fail-safes, making Rediculous design decisions, in this day and age this stuff shouldn't be there...

Inferno1217

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
Selling out? That's funny. They have been in EVERY store I've been in here in Oregon in mass quantities. Craigslist and eBay are flooded with Wii U's and they seem to not be moving. Nobody is getting a premium like they did with 360's and PS3's.

nate1492

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2012
Terrible journalism. The update was under 1GB. I can't believe this article would parrot something posted on Reddit and left unconfirmed.

spookyman

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
And you hear folks complain about paying for there Xbox Live Gold accounts. At least I can port it to another Xbox 360. Got to my friends and download my account on his Xbox 360 console with no issues.

Give credit where its due. At least Microsoft has it act together on that front.

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
Wii U has been pretty solid so far, I've been playing it almost practically non-stop from Wednesday -Sunday. It did lock up once in that period, not sure what caused it, but Nintendo knows about it. They mentioned it being fixed on the next update.

Get 4 other friends and play Nintendo Land. It's a great fun game. Get everyone familiar with all the different attractions, then jump into the Attraction tour game (the one with the "train" icon). That mode is a blast with friends.

atminside

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
I swear people who buy consoles are very misguided. If you could afford to buy a console and a few games, then you could had waited a little bit longer and saved up and buy a mid range PC. Consoles are not an ideal investment. You are buying a piece of hardware that is completely proprietary and has no upgrade solutions other than the hard drive and flash drive add ins. Don't like the keyboard and mouse setup.....you can always get a PC compatible PS/xbox controller. What do you think the good folks at E3 use to demonstrate their new titles........a PC; don't let the controller fool you. What's more encouraging is that Valve/Steam are adding split screen support for their current and up coming titles. It will be a while before that matures but soon most if not all developers will adopt this approach to PC gaming. So be smart buy or a PC and be happy knowing you are not confined to a proprietary POS.

desolation0

Distinguished
May 15, 2011
Yep, as an update on the day one update issue, it is apparently about 1 - 2 GB in size. Apparently doesn't brick the console if you dc or power out but does force you to go through the update from the start with a blank screen, as far as the latest I've heard. It's easy to understand how it could be mistaken for a brick, as it seems to act like bricked hardware folks have had in the past, with nothing saying otherwise til the update goes through completely.

Still no flippin' clue why they would tie the network ID's to a single console at launch.

Status
Not open for further replies.