System specs:
ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero WiFi z390
i9-9900k Coffee Lake
ASUS GeForce RTX 2070 8G
Samsung 970 EVO M.2 2280 2TB
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8) DDR4 3200
Corsair Hydro H115i Pro 280mm
Corsair HXi HX1200i 1200W plat

When I try to power on my new PC build the fans (case and AiO cooler) and lights come on but nothing shows up on monitor:

It turns on briefly, cycles a few error codes on the motherboard
- turns off -
turns back on and cycles some more error codes
-turns off-
turns on and cycles through a bunch more finally settling on "A2" with the white LED remaining on. With no GPU/monitor the green light is also on

It probably cycles through 30ish error codes when all said and done, stops on some for longer (like 1 second max until the A2) so it's hard to say for sure. There are no audible beeps.

I have tried starting with the monitor connected to the motherboard and to the GPU. I've also removed one of my two RAM cards, and then all the RAM.
I tried a flash BIOS update - I'm not sure it worked because I have no monitor and I'm not sure if it's actually doing anything (blue "bios" light is on but never turns off, blinks, etc.). I rechecked all the cables I have connected, everything seems tight.

From the manual: A2 "IDE DETECT"
LED: White = VGA, Yellow/green = booting devices

The lights come in this order: Red (CPU), Yellow (DRAM), White (VGA), Yellow Green (BOOT)

With so many codes I'm not sure what the issue is, or if A2 is really the problem or just where it stops.

Any help is appreciated.

EDIT: updated LED color info

Last edited:
Solution
That's really wierd behavior. The tool changed it to M11H.Cap, so asus says that's exactly what it should be, but it failed, other bios like M11HW.Cap failed, it's almost as if the motherboard really isn't the one you believe it to be, but a different revision, like a v.2 or some such.

At this point I'd get on the phone with Asus technical support and ask them because you've done everything that's consumer available to do. Their download, their rename, their bios update directions...

cdlaman

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
Then there should be signal on the monitor. Try testing different video cable/monitor.

Tried the HDMI cable and the display port cable, no change between the two. Tried the monitor connected to my laptop and it works fine. I don't have a second monitor to try on the desktop at the moment.

If the monitor is working does that rule that out or do I still need to try to find another?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Sounds like a dp-hdmi handshake issue. Do you have dvi capability?

DVI is native, like vga, hdmi/dp requires drivers to initiate a handshake. You usually get those on the utility disc/USB that comes with the motherboard or in windows installation.

cdlaman

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
That's weird. Try updating the board's BIOS again. Use a FAT 32 formatted USB drive and rename the unzipped file.
ROG-MAXIMUS-XI-HERO-WIFI-ASUS-1302.CAP to M11HW.CAP

So the BIOS flash button in the back is no longer lighting up blue when powered on, and when I plug the USB drive in the light does not come on and the board switches from Qcode A2 to B4 USB hot plug.

Have I fried my board or something?

cdlaman

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
When using the Flashback, do not start the board.

Well I'm getting the flashing blue button for five seconds which then turns to solid blue. From what I'm reading (and from seeing no change in results) this means the BIOS update failed.

I've tried using a super old 64MB and a brand new 16GB USB2.0 in FAT format with just the M11HW.CAP file on it.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Renaming files in windows is pathetically easy to do manually, one long click with the mouse. If it was that easy to do, I'm doubting Asus would feel the need to use a renaming tool, so my assumption would be that it does more than just rename the file to M11HW.Cap, could be that bios revision is M11HX.Cap instead. Since the Rampage listed in the example is R6E.Cap.

cdlaman

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
Renaming files in windows is pathetically easy to do manually, one long click with the mouse. If it was that easy to do, I'm doubting Asus would feel the need to use a renaming tool, so my assumption would be that it does more than just rename the file to M11HW.Cap, could be that bios revision is M11HX.Cap instead. Since the Rampage listed in the example is R6E.Cap.

I had to go find the renamer tool on a different website because Asus doesn't include it in the download anymore or anywhere else on the site that I can find. Tried a few different iterations of file names (the one it changed it to was M11H.cap which didn't work).

With the M11HX.CAP the bios flashback didn't seem to work. I got the flashing Bios light for about 2-3 seconds and it went solid blue, which according to the guide indicates it didn't work. A2 error code IDE Detect on motherboard w/ nothing on monitor. Green and white error lights on

Is it possible it doesn't like my m.2 ssd? If I attached another drive would it be able to post and I could assess if it was the drive?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That's really wierd behavior. The tool changed it to M11H.Cap, so asus says that's exactly what it should be, but it failed, other bios like M11HW.Cap failed, it's almost as if the motherboard really isn't the one you believe it to be, but a different revision, like a v.2 or some such.

At this point I'd get on the phone with Asus technical support and ask them because you've done everything that's consumer available to do. Their download, their rename, their bios update directions...

Solution