No Booting Straight to Desktop in Windows 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

extremepcs

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
"Microsoft is getting ready to launch Windows 8-specific peripherals that will make the tiled touch aspect a bit easier to navigate for those without actual touchscreens."

So we have to get rid of our mouse now, too?

I don't understand why MS is so insistent on forcing people to the Start screen. If people use mostly desktop applications and interfaces, then we should be allowed to go straight to that if we want to. I also do not understand why Metro needs to be a 'full screen experience' on desktop computers. Why not make and option to have it as a 1024x768 pop-up in the corner which can be toggled to full screen via the good 'ol alt+enter command? Or if we must insist on a full screen, then can we have metro take advantage of my 1200p screen? having nearly 1/2 the screen as dead space makes for a lot of unnecessary scrolling that could be otherwise avoided. Search and other features make good use of the full screen, so why not the main start page?

At the same time I don't get the whole hate for the 'not metro' interface. After moving things around a bit and pinning contacts to the start screen I actually find it quite useful for my own use and workflow. It is still no replacement for the desktop (and desktop is where I spend most of my time), but as a replacement for the start menu the new start screen and charms menu are awesome.

hotroderx

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
I wonder who has the bigger smile right now Apple or major Linux Distro's. Its painfully obvious Microsoft no longer wants to stay in business. A 10 year old could tell you trying to force something on people cause you like it is a bad idea. I wonder what Microsoft was thinking when it comes to business users. I could see metro maybe being useful on a POS but thats it. With this latest change not even sure if it would be then.

G

Microsoft just shot itself with a .50 caliber rifle in its foot by making Windows 8 intolerable to use.

Dreadteir

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
I'm going to go out on a limb here and actually admit, I really think Microsoft is on to something with the Tile UI. I base this on my use of Windows Phone 7, which is a nice looking OS.

That said, forcing Desktop and Notebook users to switch to this in Windows 8 is a bad idea. I tried Windows 8 early on and found that using the mouse and keyboard for Tile UI to suck, bit time. At this point in time, I really think it should be an optional as touch screens are not prevalent on Desktops and Notebooks.

I say introduce Tile UI now, and maybe look at making it the main UI in 2014 or 2015 when touch screens have more market penetration. This will be the first Windows release I skip, at least until I get a touch screen device.

Cheers,

Dreadteir

leongrado

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2010
Maybe it won't be so bad. I've never tried Windows 8 so I can't say. I doubt Microsoft would release something if they knew people were going to hate it. Then again there was Vista.... Who knows....

[citation][nom]oneblackened[/nom]Well, this just looks terrible. Why would any user of a PC in their right mind "upgrade" to this?[/citation]
Um... $40 to upgrade to the pro version to add your computer to a domain? Better resource management that makes programs and games run faster? Better backup options? Better cloud support? Better support and segregation for multiple users on the same machine? Better support for one user over multiple machines? Better multi-screen support? More input options? Dramatically less CPU, HDD, GPU, and RAM use by the OS? More detailed (finally useful!) reporting on system resources within task manager? Better support for legacy software?

Seriously, other than the replacement of the start menu with 'not Metro' (which you barely need to interact with, and actually is better than the start menu in some ways) win8 is far superior to win7 in every way.

rebel1280

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
I'm all for companies doing what they want to do, its theirs, but they are literally forcing people to do it THEIR way haha wow. It's almost as if they WANT people (and IT administrators like me) to look at this and say: "OK, so what else will my network not be able to manage via GPO? Should I give away my security settings to them as well?" That may seem far fetched but if you think about the fact they are actually disabling GPO functions, what is to stop them from disabling more, like tracking cookies and abilities to purchase apps or install apps just so their store will get more views? Three other CFO's and myself have decided that we are going to steer clear of W8 just as we did Vista.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]syrious1[/nom]listen, it takes a whole 0.01 seconds to load your desktop from either a button or winkey+D[/citation]
Yes but why? Why the hell would they force you to have to do this when they could allow it to be the default? The average person won't know how to change Metro so they would use it and the people who would use the Desktop want it as default so why not let them change it? What is the point of forcing me to have to make the switch every single time when it does nothing but piss me off.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
This news simply puts the last nail in the Windows 8 coffin.

In the other hand, I think that we should thank M$ from saving us money because now Windows 7 will last us for at least another 5 years (+/-) without having to upgrade.

Note: if by any chance M$ insist on keeping this POS UI on Windows 9, then Windows 7 might very well be my LAST M$ OS.

johnsonma

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
Microsoft is getting ready to launch Windows 8-specific peripherals that will make the tiled touch aspect a bit easier to navigate for those without actual touchscreens.
Damn MS pulled an Apple and did a restart on their peripherals market....those bastards.

helmutcheese

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
I have Win 8 RTM Ent and using Classicchell have it booting to Desktop (start screen shows for about 1 second then closes).

Also have set it to let me use the Win 8 tiles on left clicking the start button but using old start menu hovering over start button.

I also disabled that horrid welcome/lock screen and need to log in each startup.

G

Day 1 purchase for me! I cannot wait to be free of CrapDroid and on a WP8 device paired with the new OS.

Loving the new streamlined layout of Win 8. Bravo, MS!

cwolf78

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
God people on here need to get a clue. I just wonder how long people bitching about the UI changes have actually used PC's. I've been using them since before there even *was* a Windows. Every 10 years or so they always make changes that are more drastic than the interim versions. I remember clearly when MS added mouse support and designed the UI around it - everyone bitched. I remember when Win95 came out and had the Start Menu + task bar everyone bitched. This the just the next logical step in UI progression. Or did you think they'd keep the Start Menu forever? Its death is already overdue as it is.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
tiled desktop UI (formerly known as Metro)
wow, what an improved name. Desktop8 vs. tiled desktop UI? What a bunch of brain damaged monkeys. So to use this crap UI, buying these cool new Microsoft mouse, keyboard and stupid touch screen monitor makes it all better? Wow, break the UI to make people buy your shit... Brilliant.

MS is fighting hard to keep what people who may use win8 from using it. What is the point of all this? Hence, I have the new replacement name for Metro:
The rape UI, new from Microsoft! Forced UI when you have over 90% of the market.

@caedenV
The two UI together just don't work... This is sloppy work. Designed for failure. Touchscreen for a desktop sucks.

@Dreadteir
I use the Metro interface on my android phone. I like it. They could have used that to replace most of the start menu, rather than the whole screen of ugly. When I get my new phone with Android 4.x, i will most like stay with the original UI as 4.0 has come cool new features I like. I thought I would love metro on the desktop. I really did. 15 mins of using it, the damn thing got old really quick. Play with LinuxMint, it's free. No upgrade version. They also have a live CD too. Since win8 is so stupidly alien, why both with it... Might as well go Linux.

Status
Not open for further replies.