[SOLVED] No display after Windows logo

Dec 7, 2021
Set up: ASUS P7H55-M Pro
Core i5 650 3.2GHz
16Gb DDR3 RAM
NVidia GeForce GTX 660
EVGA 650GQ PSU
Windows 10 pro
I was going to upgrade to a new PC and stored this one away. Ended getting it back out 5 months later and changed only the power supply from a 600W to the 650W PSU. It posts good, but after the windows logo it goes to a black screen. I can start it into safe mode and it works fine long as t standard display driver is the one installed. The moment I (or Windows update) updates to the Nvidia driver from the Nvidia website, it goes to Black screen again. Please help. I have tried everything I've read on just about every forum.
I can't figure out if it is the graphics card, RAM, board. I am just about at my wits end here. I know it's an older setup but it is all I have and I cannot afford much in the way of upgrading. I know it is reading all of the RAM and it recognizes the Nvidia card in device manager even before I try to install the Nvidia drivers. I've even done a clean new install of windows 10 trying to fix the issue.
I just need some guidance as to where to go from here in ways of testing my hardware or whatever.
Thank you in advance for any assistance you can give me

Solution
you could try booting off a Ubuntu Live USB and see if it gets a picture. That would tell us if its windows or hardware - maybe... linux is easier on hardware so if you do get a picture, its not 100% evidence problem is windows, it can mean linux just doesn't stress hardware as much.
If it doesn't work, then its likely the card. 2 OS aren't going to have same problem otherwise.
https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows#1-overview

other choice is take PC to repair store and see what they find. It might be something other than GPU to blame.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I think if it loads into safe mode and you only get a black screen from loading GPU drivers, its pretty clear its the card.

Now fact its recognized by drivers and device manager makes me think its not the card (physically)

yes, I know , contradictions.

the problem is caused by GPU, its not ram or board... it could be windows being dumb.
Normally if the card is physically the problem then its drivers won't install and it won't show in device manager, 2 things yours doesn't match.

Have you updated windows?

Don't suppose you tried different connections on monitor? that fixed this guys - https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforc.../5/166703/nvidia-gtx-660-black-screen-solved/
made sure connections are in solid on monitor

black screens on gtx 660 seem common but from 2013.

Reactions: karmageddin
Dec 7, 2021
I have done everything you have suggested as far as different connections from the card and to the monitor. I tried another card I had here (not knowing if it worked or not) it is an asus geforce 560ti direct cu2.... It does the exact same thing...

Like I said earlier in my post, the 660 was running on windows 7 64 bit prior to putting it away, and that is how I started back with it (just got it out of closet, dusted it out/off, plugged it in, and went) ... BUT since then, I have tried to do a fresh install of windows 7 and updated as i could being as it is end of life and not supported any more, and I have also installed as a clean, meaning formatted drive and installed, windows 10 64 bit and updated it fully, and still it goes dark after the windows logo (the spinning loading dots will freeze in place then blank screen).

I am just really at a loss because I build work on pc quite often and have for many years, and I'm stumped because it is doing exact same thing on both cards. I do not have an AMD card to try or I would. I have asked Nvidia's support and haven't received anything back from them and it's been over 2 weeks, so I don't thing they will be of any help.

I know I just need to upgrade everything including my board, and all of its components, but I cannot at this time and really want my pc to work as it did 8 months ago when i stored it.

I do appreciate your help, seriously...

Colif

Win 11 Master
you could try booting off a Ubuntu Live USB and see if it gets a picture. That would tell us if its windows or hardware - maybe... linux is easier on hardware so if you do get a picture, its not 100% evidence problem is windows, it can mean linux just doesn't stress hardware as much.
If it doesn't work, then its likely the card. 2 OS aren't going to have same problem otherwise.
https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows#1-overview

other choice is take PC to repair store and see what they find. It might be something other than GPU to blame.

Solution