Not open for further replies.
Mar 23, 2020
Specs:
Asus prime b450m-a
Gtx 1070 fe / msi 1060 6gb
Ryzen 2600
16gb (1 stick) tforce Vulcan z
Boot SSD

What happened: I went to do a simple GPU swap, took out the MSI 1060 and plopped in a 1070 fe. Plugged in my DP output and checked all my power connections and such. PC turned on but no display out. Tried hitting f2/escape on startup to get into bios, not sure if that worked but still no display. Now it doesnt even turn off when holding the power button.

I've tried:
Clearing CMOS by removing battery, swapping back in the 1060, CLRTC, reseating ram, using HDMI, DVI, second monitor.. all to no avail

I'm completely out of ideas and I hope I didn't brick my MOBO somehow but without onboarding graphics I can't really know at the moment. Please help.

Solution
  • Can you connect a speaker to hear POST beeps?
  • Do you have a POST card?
  • Do you have a PCIe riser laying around? (I have seen an ESD shocked PCIe channel causing no video to be detected, riser only uses a few first lines and can be inserted in the smaller slots you have)
  • Is it possible you have knocked out a component on the mobo?
  • When you press the power button, fans do start spinning on everything, right?
Mar 23, 2020
PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Is there a menu selection on the monitor/display to select the video input port? Verify the setting.

Did you try another known working DP cable?

Try safe mode.
PSU is a corsair vs550, only had it for about 6 months, it's like new. I just tested another DP cable, got nothing and manually selected DP input on the monitor.

Ralston18

Titan
Noted that you reseated RAM.

Were you able to check all other components to ensure that all are fully and firmly in place? Especially the GPU(s).

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Check by visual inspection and by touch. Gently press seated components into place. Unplug and re-plug power and data connections.

Objective being to eliminate the possibility that something was bumped loose or otherwise came loose during the GPU swaps.

Mar 23, 2020
Noted that you reseated RAM.

Were you able to check all other components to ensure that all are fully and firmly in place? Especially the GPU(s).

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Check by visual inspection and by touch. Gently press seated components into place. Unplug and re-plug power and data connections.

Objective being to eliminate the possibility that something was bumped loose or otherwise came loose during the GPU swaps.
Yea I've since brought all my components out of the case to retest. Doesnt seem to be working.

• Do you have a PCIe riser laying around? (I have seen an ESD shocked PCIe channel causing no video to be detected, riser only uses a few first lines and can be inserted in the smaller slots you have)

Solution
Mar 23, 2020
Dont have a riser, and I wouldnt imagine I hit anything but I suppose it's possible. I'm so mad I lost my speaker. Upon power everything starts up normally.

Status
Not open for further replies.