Sturmdolch

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
My computer seems to be randomly lagging all the time. It will freeze up, and stay like that from 5 seconds to 3 minutes, or possibly more but I reboot after that.

It started a few weeks ago, just generally slow, then I decided to start playing World of Warcraft again, and it didn't work. Kept freezing at the initial Loading Screen. I decided to reformat, because I wanted to get rid of junk anyways, and thought it might fix it.

It didn't. Since, I've tried memory tests, searched various different google searches, etc. I even just tried monitoring my VG card temp, and it's normal at 50*C. Now, the problem is getting worse. Not only does WoW stop loading/freezes randomly, my computer does it, too. Today while opening a 2 megabyte video, the computer BSOD'd on me. My computer is epicly slow now.

Here's what I have:

Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit
1.00 GB RAM
ATi X800 XT (newest drivers, reinstalled twice to try to fix the problem)
Pentium 4 3.00GHz Processor
Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000 Pro-G

I know it's a pretty crappy system and Vista is a bit too much for it, but I was able to play WoW, run MSN, browse Firefox, and WinAMP at the same time on this system about 3 months ago.

I've also tried adding 4GB of Virtual Memory with ReadyBoost, which seemed to help for a while, but now it's back to normal (i.e. freezing, holding up, etc.)

I have defragged, as well, and run different virus checks/spyware sweeps.

hit ctrl + alt + del ONCE and have a look at the processes tab

Which programs are using most RAM?

You may have a rogue program that uses ram and doesnt release it again .

If nothing obvious is wrong start ending processes you know are not windows components . Ideally do this off line and kill your anyivirus .
Disable one program at a time and see if the problem stops .

Could be a dying board I suppose.

Have you monitored your CPU temps?

Here's some handy simple utilities. They have very small footprints and are very quick downloads:
CPU-Z
Real Temp
HWMonitor

See if CPU-Z reports the right CPU speed.
See if Real Temp gives OK temps.

I would certainly be turning off services you don't need in Vista. Aero for instance.

(Edit: Outlander has a better place to start there, good thing he got in before me :) )

Sturmdolch

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
Nothing is over 50*C... CPU voltages at 1.3~V ? I don't see the CPU temp anywhere. I'll turn off Aero, though, and check if I can turn off some other stuff.

(By the way, Real Temp didn't work due to no support for Pentium 4)