Question No internet connection after uninstalling "Windows Live ID sign-in Assistant" and deleting it manually from "services" and the registry.

stookza

Reputable
Jan 23, 2019
Hi

I need help please after uninstalling yesterday "Windows Live ID sign-in Assistant", removing it manually from "services" [with Gmer] and deleting everything that related to it [Wlidsvc,exe] from the registry.

As a result of it, i lost my internet connection [despite that the network card and "local area connection" appear as enabled], also i cannot open some softwares like "Ccleaner" and others.

Tried to do system restore after the mistake, but unfortunately i didnt have any restore points because i did files cleaning with some programs few minutes before :-(

Will really appreciate for some help asap because i use this pc as my 2nd to my main pc.

Many thanks

Last edited:

stookza

Reputable
Jan 23, 2019
No i didnt backup my o.s and i dont have any previous restore point unfortunately :-(

The only 1 backup i have is the files inside "config"---> "RegBack" folder in "system32" since 2 years ago when i installed windows and maybe ill replace them with the current ones as a last resort but i really dont wanna do that.

Last edited:
No i didnt backup my o.s and i dont have any previous restore point unfortunately :-(

The only 1 backup i have is inside "config"---> "RegBack" folder in "system32" since 2 years ago when i installed windows and maybe ill replace them with the current ones as a last resort but i really dont wanna do that.

That's a pity!

Try an in place install of Windows (Reset PC), it will keep your existing files and apps, and will hopefully reset the registry.

stookza

Reputable
Jan 23, 2019
Many thanx for the the advice Roland (y) but i finally fixed it by doing what i suggested in my previous massage, and simply copied the files inside: "System32--->config--->RegBack" folder and replaced them with the files that located inside "System32--->config", and now everything is back :giggle: , the internet connection, and all the programs i guess working again without the need to reinstall them, only minor settings had to be reconfigured, like some netowrk settings that have changed [dns and ip address] in Local area connection tcp/ip version 4 and Eset nod32 anti virus had to be registered from some reason again... and also reupdated to the latest version. but Im so glad now :D

But i still wonder and dont really understand why the "Windows Live ID Sign-in Assistant" registry files are so important and essential to the operating system to work well, and must be installed [but not be enabled] in order to have a working internet connection and other related programs which will simply not work if i erase the damn thing from the registry and "services".

This thread can be marked as solved :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Many thanx for the the advice Roland (y) but i finally fixed it by doing what i suggested in my previous massage, and simply copied the files inside: "System32--->config--->RegBack" folder and replaced them with the files that located inside "System32--->config", and now everything is back :giggle: , the internet connection, and all the programs i guess working again without the need to reinstall them, only minor settings had to be reconfigured, like some netowrk settings that have changed [dns and ip address] in Local area connection tcp/ip version 4 and Eset nod32 anti virus had to be registered from some reason again... and also reupdated to the latest version. but Im so glad now :D

But i still wonder and dont really understand why the "Windows Live ID Sign-in Assistant" registry files are so important and essential to the operating system to work well, and must be installed [but not be enabled] in order to have a working internet connection and other related programs which will simply not work if i erase the damn thing from the registry and "services".

This thread can be marked as solved :)

Excellent, that's a result :) That's good that you caught the issue. In the past I've often made little mistakes, and then suddenly get an epihany of how to fix it (always late in the morning :tearsofjoy: )

Glad it's sorted. If you have other issues, you can always come back to us for advice.