No LAN for Diablo III Too?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stradric

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]lordfakie[/nom]This is the problem with the Youngs these they, people keep taking from them and its ok with them, Its obvious they haven't fight for anything, we are in a rececion, economically , in rights, and now in LAN's!, its not whanting things for free, on the contrary, its getting more for those exagerated prices we pay for a game![/citation]

Exaggerated prices?! It's $50. That's $10 less than a console game. You'd easily get 40 hours of gameplay out of the game, which is just over $1 per hour. If you go to a movie, you pay $5 per hour or more.

People complain about EVERYTHING. Hey, if you don't like it, don't buy it. It's that simple. I think Blizzard games at $50 are a bargain. They're easily the highest quality games produced from any developer. And they're supported for long after they are released.

The fact that you think the prices are exaggerated shows that you know little of what goes into these games. Just think about all the artists, directors, programmers and other talented people that make these games great. Do you have any of those skills? I think not, or you'd probably have better spelling and grammar.

stradric

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]coolkev99[/nom]This is pretty sad news. You can pretty much thank pirates for this. However there are other ways to counter piracy and still incorporate LAN play. Look at BF2, Company of Heroes, etc. Too bad they won't make a compromised solution like that.[/citation]

Company of Heroes is made by the same company that makes Dawn of War 2, which is a game hated by the same vocal people on this subject. Just take a look at the Amazon reviews for Dawn of War 2. People bitch about Windows Live. It's the same thing as people bitching about Battle.net. So, your point is moot.

G

I'm not really worried about this. When companies like blizzard cripple there own products like this - almost always it opens a window for someone else to step in and fill the void. My bet is also that pirated copies of both SC3 and D3 will include some sort of LAN Monkey side app that will solve this issue. I'll play these games from pirated copies likely first, then if I enjoy them I'll buy them.

FlayerSlayer

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
I will still buy both, because I'll be mainly playing D3 with my girlfriend and we don't live together, and I want SC2 mostly for singleplayer and skirmishes/UMS games. But this is a sad day, now that Blizz has joined the ranks of companies that hurt legitimate buyers in the name of anti-piracy, knowing full well that it will not hurt pirates at all.

squidrott

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
Never really liked playing Diablo on Battle.net anyway (never did for Starcraft either). imo, screw Battle.net and Activision's influence on it.

I will still buy Diablo iii, however, as I'm after the single player story.

G

If you live in the US or parts of Europe and can afford fast net sure. If, like the rest of the world, your net is both slow and expensive then your experience will not be a good one. Expect those people to pirate this. I, for one, will not purchase this game unless I can see it working without lag etc., as well as it would on a local network. What would be the point of paying for something that does not work?

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
People have been talking about the end of PC gaming for a while now... it seems that Blizzard is actually trying to get it done. Who will want to play PC games if they _have_ to play over the internet? There are a lot of people that still don't have access to broadband internet, many of us that do don't have much choice, it either get raped by the one provider that offers it or go without. For those that can't have broadband or refuse to get raped by the local provider, LAN gaming was the only option, if they take that away then a lot of people simply won't have the chance to play the game.

I hate Blizzard right now and don't plan on buying anything from them or their affiliates for a long time.

bigbadbrad

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
I think you guys are overreacting. Almost everyone has a broadband connection nowadays, the gap between LAN and internet speeds is closing rapidly. Cable companies are holding back the release of super-fast broadband technology they already have available because they're still trying to figure out how to charge us for it. You don't need 0 ping to play Diablo or Starcraft. Get over it, please.

superfatman

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
What bugs me is how blizzard gets people in the pocket book. Why should you have to pay 70$ for a game, say WOW, and 15$ USD to play, then 50-100$ for expansions?

Make the game and the expansions free, and charge 15$ USD to play. A game without lan and requiring a paid subscription is just as bad the RIAAFFIA.

Why can't Star Craft have a lan mode? Star Craft I set a standard in lan RTS. Diablo II you didnt have to pay to play online, just purchase the game, and if you wanted the expansions, them too. It still has a large following.

Steam got it right, let people try and buy games, regardless of their version of DRM/etc and dont charge them to play online.

Look here: Steam Online Stats. It may not be 11Million subscriptions, but I bet that more people are playing Steam games right now than WOW and Warcraft Combined.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Lan is not as big an issue as game play. My light carpel tunnel does not endless clicking. As far as Starcraft II in three parts, Kiss my arse Blizzard.

accolite

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
I not supporting blizzard anymore, I will Boycott all blizzard titles.

The ones I own, I will not play anymore.

Blizzard should stop being the money grubbing a$$e$ that they are now.

esquire468

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]caskachan[/nom]Before Valve released steam, hl+mods players used the warez pirated version to play on WON servers, but after they swtiched to steam, account system, and took down WON network, now every kid i know that had pirated hl+mods, actually bought the games to continue playing, so valve did the right thing to capitalize on their games, so blizard can do this as well, its 2000 fucking 9, internet is cheap and everywhere, and if you got a rig to play starcraft 2, you DO HAVE INTERNETlans with no internet = warez festlans with internet = warez fest + some legit gaming (due to Steam games etc)a lan with no internet is like goign to a party with no beer, get my drift? just cough up 1 more dolar for free internet at lan[/citation]

Apples to orange my friend. I am guessing no one here objects to an online authentication method. The problem here is no LAN. Gone are LAN parties and socializing with friends. They may as well just remove a gameplay aspect as well.

bounty

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
With no more Iron Lore (Titan Quest) and Blizzard going to hell, where am I to go for my lazy hack and slash multiplayer RPG? Two Worlds and the follow up Temptation look to be internet only for LAN also. Bioware needs to start throwing in LAN support into their otherwise great RPGs.

bounty

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
I preordered Diablo 2, along with all of my friends. When we got it, we had a nonstop LAN party until we finished the game. I'm probably not going to buy Diablo 3. Some of my friends might, if they ask my opinion I'll try to get them to skip it.

There are better single player RPGs, which look better, more complex, have more story etc. Then there are better MMO's (a.k.a. internet only multiplayer rpgs) It could have been a great LAN party game. What is missing is a great LAN party RPG. Something easy to learn so that people can pick up a copy on their way to the LP and figure the game out as they go, have fun, but not have to delve to deep into complex controls, gameplay or story. Something that looks decent, but runs on older computers.

stradric

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]superfatman[/nom]...Steam got it right, let people try and buy games, regardless of their version of DRM/etc and dont charge them to play online.Look here: Steam Online Stats. ...[/citation]

Um, RTFA. Battle.net will always be free. The only difference between this and steam is that you don't need to log in to battle.net in order to play single player like you would with steam. So, what's your point besides complaining for the sake of complaining?

esquire468

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]coolkev99[/nom]This is pretty sad news. You can pretty much thank pirates for this.[/citation]

I ma not buying that explanation by Blizzard. Until they can show me that this decision is backed by fact and numbers/volume as it relates to piracy, versus simply a business decision to promote Battle.net and pimp out more fees, I will be taking my business elsewhere.

Oh how the mighty have fallen. I remember when Blizzard stood out from the other software companies and were known for their perfection and customer support. I can only say, "Et tu Blizzard?"

First Starcraft Ghost going to consoles exclusively and then disappearing altogether, then dropping the Warcraft RPG in exchange for the cash cow MMORPG WoW, then Starcraft II being stretched out over 3 episodes and having no LAN for possibly one of the biggest and longest running/supported titles that use LAN (Starcraft I), and now this.

As Michael said to Fredo, I say to Blizzard, "You broke my heart. You broke my heart!" Blizzard, you're nothing to me now.

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
[citation][nom]The_Blood_Raven[/nom]So no starcraft 2 for me and now no diablo 3 for me either? Oh well.[/citation]

Ya, ohwell...Talk is cheap, come release day you'll be there, waiting in line, gitty as a school girl.

Also if you do pirate it, well, have fun in solo mode.

thegh0st

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
[citation][nom]quitoman[/nom]LAN doesn't require a legit CD-Key.Battle.net does.Now everyone can stop being stupid.[/citation]
I have seen games where if two installed version of a game have the same key they will not play together. ever been to a cheap gaming center?

[citation][nom]caskachan[/nom]Before Valve released steam, hl+mods players used the warez pirated version to play on WON servers, but after they swtiched to steam, account system, and took down WON network, now every kid i know that had pirated hl+mods, actually bought the games to continue playing, so valve did the right thing to capitalize on their games, so blizard can do this as well, its 2000 fucking 9, internet is cheap and everywhere, and if you got a rig to play starcraft 2, you DO HAVE INTERNETlans with no internet = warez festlans with internet = warez fest + some legit gaming (due to Steam games etc)a lan with no internet is like goign to a party with no beer, get my drift? just cough up 1 more dolar for free internet at lan[/citation]
you left out a key point though. VALVE allows you to go into an offline mode and actually still play on LANs. so VALVE did not take away LAN support.

therefore there is no comparison other than VALVE knows how to do something Blizzard does not or that Blizzard refuses to.

coolkev99

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008
Hey Blizzard! I think the #1 issue people have with this (besides lag) is that feeling that one day in the distant future you go to fire up a SC2 game and get "cannot find BNET server". -OR- "BNET does not support this game version, please upgrade to SC3!". SOme BS along those lines essentially making the game worthless.

I for one, still load up *OLD* games from time to time and I can see this scenario happening in SC2.

G

I've been looking forward to Starcraft II and Diablo III for a long time, but both games without LAN support equals me not buying the game. I think the best message could be sent to Blizzard about how stupid this is by 1. Poeple who agrre, not buying the game and 2. Pirates skipping over this game entirely. That really would send a message when even the Pirates won't bother with your game.

Status
Not open for further replies.