[SOLVED] No POST but everything works

jorgg69

Commendable
Apr 7, 2018
Hi everyone, thanks beforehand to anyone who would be stepping by and trying to help me out.

I'm rather new to PC building and I've had this problem where I connected my motherboard, all the cables seemingly right, everything seems to work but in the end when I boot everything up the fans and the pump do work but the PC doesn't POST.

Great, so something should be faulty, right? Let's unplug the GPU, the SATA cables and everything else besides the usual POWER SW cables, the audio cables connected to the mobo, the RAM, etc. and now all there's left is a fully working liquid cooling thing but still no POST.

The RAM is brand new. I think it's secured there. Any clues? I'll post a few pictures

BEFORE YOU ASK: Yes, the motherboard supports my CPU. Yes, the CPU was completely secured. No, I will not be placing the GPU until I get the BIOS in my CPU. And yes, the cables are facing the right direction, am I missing something?
KSSBCre_d.webp

Solution
You have options.

You can lend a CPU from AMD from their lending kit on their website. They send you a 2600X and you post with it and update the BIOS and you return the 2600X to AMD.
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-100#faq-Short-Term-Processor-Loan-Boot-Kit

You can go to a computer local store so they can do it for you.

You return the board and you buy a motherboard with a BIOS flashback function so you can update the BIOS yourself because a board with this doesn't need a CPU installed to be BIOS updated.

Motherboards with BIOS flashback.
https://www.build-gaming-computers.com/motherboards-with-bios-flashback.html

jorgg69

Commendable
Apr 7, 2018
You pc full specs, model, ram frequency, psu, gpu details.
If your cpu is 2200g 3200g 3400g then no gpu required else you have to install extra gpu.
Full system specs including the PSU brand and model?
In the picture says Gigabyte B450-m so it's a Ryzen CPU but which one ? Only ones with G will post or work without dedicated GPU.
Good point, I installed the GPU (everything is locked and should be working like the last time I built a PC) but still no POST. I also plugged every cable that was roaming around but still no luck.

SPECS:
AMD Ryzen 5 5600x
Gigabyte B450M DS3H V2 (fully compatible with Ryzen Gen3)
Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB DDR4 3200MHz PC4-25600 CL16
PSU is a 750W one, at least that's what the guy sold me

jorgg69

Commendable
Apr 7, 2018
Doesnt matter if it’s compatible if you dont have the bios version that supports it. You need to update your bios
Gigabyte B450M DS3H V2
https://www.gigabyte.com/ca/Motherboard/B450M-DS3H-V2-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios

BIOS version F60f.
- Update AGESA ComboV2 1.1.0.0 D for AMD Ryzen 5000 series CPU support

Board needs that. If it doesn't no post.
No way, I thought V2 came bundled with Ryzen Gen3 support. I'm going to take your word and will try to return it, this time around I'll even pick a PCIe 4.0 board. Any suggestions before I'm a retord again?

No way, I thought V2 came bundled with Ryzen Gen3 support. I'm going to take your word and will try to return it, this time around I'll even pick a PCIe 4.0 board. Any suggestions before I'm a retord again?

Support and Ready is different. The board you have support the 5600X but for your board to be ready to be used with that CPU it needs the BIOS version F60f

You have options.

You can lend a CPU from AMD from their lending kit on their website. They send you a 2600X and you post with it and update the BIOS and you return the 2600X to AMD.
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-100#faq-Short-Term-Processor-Loan-Boot-Kit

You can go to a computer local store so they can do it for you.

You return the board and you buy a motherboard with a BIOS flashback function so you can update the BIOS yourself because a board with this doesn't need a CPU installed to be BIOS updated.

Motherboards with BIOS flashback.
https://www.build-gaming-computers.com/motherboards-with-bios-flashback.html

Solution
No way, I thought V2 came bundled with Ryzen Gen3 support.
Gen 3 is Ryzen 3000 CPU's; your board will support them out-of-the-box.

Ryzen 5000 CPU's....you have a Ryzen 5600...are Gen 4.

Gen 1 = Zen 1 for 1000 series CPU's
Gen 2 = Zen 1+ for 2000 series CPU's
Gen 3 = Zen 2 for 3000 series CPU's
Gen 4 = Zen 3 for 5000 series CPU's

It's confusing, but yeah that's the way it is. Welcome to the wonderful, mysterious world of marketing.

Reactions: jorgg69

jorgg69

Commendable
Apr 7, 2018
Gen 3 is Ryzen 3000 CPU's; your board will support them out-of-the-box.

Ryzen 5000 CPU's....you have a Ryzen 5600...are Gen 4.

Gen 1 = Zen 1 for 1000 series CPU's
Gen 2 = Zen 1+ for 2000 series CPU's
Gen 3 = Zen 2 for 3000 series CPU's
Gen 4 = Zen 3 for 5000 series CPU's

It's confusing, but yeah that's the way it is. Welcome to the wonderful, mysterious world of marketing.
Thanks a lot, I confused Zen 3 for Gen 3. I knew about the 1+ thing, I thought it was Gen 1+ instead of just Gen 2.

Thanks everyone who replied to this thread. I'm going to order a B550 motherboard with PCIe 4.0 support, it was a big mistake on my part.

Reactions: Ds_Tech
Thanks a lot, I confused Zen 3 for Gen 3. I knew about the 1+ thing, I thought it was Gen 1+ instead of just Gen 2.

Thanks everyone who replied to this thread. I'm going to order a B550 motherboard with PCIe 4.0 support, it was a big mistake on my part.
Be aware!

B550 boards may not come with Ryzen 5000/Zen 3 support 'out of the box' either! It depends on when the board was manufactured as Zen 3 CPU's, and BIOS's to support them, came out well after B550 boards did. The same is true with X570 boards. It's been a while since Zen 3 came out, but board stocks have probably moved slowly in the pandemic and CPU scarcity.

Ask the retailer about it if you can. And just in case, find a friend with an older AM4 CPU who'll let you borrow an older CPU to do it. Or look for one of the boards with a 'flashback' feature that lets you update BIOS from a USB flash drive without a CPU installed. MSI and Asus have them, maybe others too.

Last edited:
Reactions: jorgg69

jorgg69

Commendable
Apr 7, 2018
Be aware!

B550 boards may not come with Ryzen 5000/Zen 3 support 'out of the box' either! It depends on when the board was manufactured as Zen 3 CPU's, and BIOS's to support them, came out well after B550 boards did. The same is true with X570 boards. It's been a while since Zen 3 came out, but board stocks have probably moved slowly in the pandemic and CPU scarcity.

Ask the retailer about it if you can. And just in case, find a friend with an older AM4 CPU who'll let you borrow an older CPU to do it. Or look for one of the boards with a 'flashback' feature that lets you update BIOS from a USB flash drive without a CPU installed. MSI and Asus have them, maybe others too.
Yeah, I haven't seen any that comes with Zen 3 support out of the box. I'm better off keeping this mobo and upgrading it in my nearest PC shop, at the very least thanks to everyone since I now know what the core problem was so I maybe can leave with an upgraded mobo if they take 10 mins to upgrade it :)