"No POST", "system won't boot", and "no video output" troubleshooting checklist

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack64

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
WOW, I don't have anything to add other than WOW....I realize now...I am in the company of folks that REALLY know thier stuff!!! Jack is ALL ears!!! I am humbled!!!!!!

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
Something about mobos occasionally needing a bios update to actually support given cpu. Doeesn't happen often but shows up every once and a while.

That's a good point. We are very cautious about BIOS flashes around here though.

I just revisited this thread.

A few more comments:

Step ??. Clear the CMOS. This works just often enough to be worth doing.

Step 15. If the system doesn't power up, try swapping the case power and reset switches. Doesn't cost anything or take long. I was building a give-away system with a recycled case and had that problem once.

My breadboarding link:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-262730_13_0.html

Pay particular attention to the Dysan floppy box with the transplanted case wiring.

We should include that breadboarding link for sure. I don't completely understand the case switch thing jsc, are you saying to try to boot the build using the reset switch in case the power switch is bad?

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
I think this should be put in the first post so people don't have to hunt for it, its very good stuff. People might not see it unless you put it up top. One more step towards stickification.

Hunter844

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
Great thread...refreshes my memory from previous builds and hopefully will help me with my current build.

BTW: I've never had a build work right the first time. I've not done enough of them to know the pitfalls and what not. I'm not ignorant by any means but it's threads like these that certainly help me get my bearings.

If I post the same ole same ole it's not from a lack of reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.