Question No power to USB and no Video Signal.

Mar 13, 2020
Hello,
When I turned on my PC yesterday everything inside the case lit up as usual, fans spinning etc. However, my mouse and keyboard lighting were not illuminated and I had no signal on my display.
1.) I powered down and disconnected everything for a few minutes and then reconnected everything and tried to power on again. Same issue.
2.) I tried unplugging all non-essential items like case fans and external USB items, the problem persists.
3.) I tried the RAM in various configurations, still the same issue.
4.) I used CLR_CMOS next. The problem was the same.
5.) I Disconnected the CMOS from the motherboard for several hours and tried again... no change.
6.) I purchased a new CMOS battery and wired it up, then connected it to the motherboard. Exactly the same issue.
7.) I removed the m.2 ssd and tried to boot. Same as the start, all lights on the CPU cooler, RAM and Video Card are illuminated, all fans turn on but no power seems to be going to the USB ports and no signal to display.

This is an up to date (current SDC) Windows 10 pro system. The Bios on the MB is not up to date but was functioning fine.

MB: Gigabyte B450 I Aorus Pro WiFi.
CPU: Ryzen 2700X
RAM: 2x16GB @ 3600 GSkill Trident Z
GPU: Asus Strix Gaming OC 1080TI GPU
PSU: EVGA 850 G5
Storage: Intel 660p m.2 nvme 1TB.

I do have a total of 4 case cans and the wraith prism cooler running on the 2 fan headers but I checked their loads and made sure the headers could handle them (figured that could be VERY relevant...)

I've been using this build for 4 months without issue. I THINK the very last thing I did was windows "Update and shut down".

Any ideas?

i would try reseating the CPU and verifying all power cables are still firmly seated.

it seems odd that a Windows update would cause this type of situation. but there's a possibility some driver regarding motherboard support or power options was updated/effected.
maybe also try reinstalling Windows to this disk from another system. and then installing the M.2 again in the B450 Aorus Pro.

if still not functioning correctly;
if you know someone with a similar setup; try testing each one of your components(CPU, RAM, PSU) separately in the other system. if they function correctly there, i would guess it has to be the motherboard causing this.

Mar 13, 2020
I appreciate the reply! I have done all the reseating and no luck yet. I have a new motherboard (an Asus Prime ATX am4 X570) arriving tomorrow. I'll try my m.2, CPU and other components on the new MB and post the results here.

Jpetrillo

Commendable
Jul 30, 2017
I’m having the same exact issue as of yesterday! I pressed restart after making installation media so I could do a fresh install of windows since I’ve been away at college. Now my keyboard/mouse won’t light up and I get no image on my monitor. All fans are spinning and gpu/AIO lights are coming on. It was working perfectly fine before I pressed restart, what could be wrong? I did all the troubleshooting you have done.

ALSO, if I leave the computer on it will automatically restart itself after about 2 minutes and then keep doing it over and over. This is very weird.

i5 4690k / Asrock z97m pro 4 mobo
16gb Ram
SSD
1070ti

I’m forced to do online learning for the rest of my semester now that coronavirus is causing chaos. Was hoping to play some games since there isn’t much else to do but this happens... ugh

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2020
Hello,
When I turned on my PC yesterday everything inside the case lit up as usual, fans spinning etc. However, my mouse and keyboard lighting were not illuminated and I had no signal on my display.
1.) I powered down and disconnected everything for a few minutes and then reconnected everything and tried to power on again. Same issue.
2.) I tried unplugging all non-essential items like case fans and external USB items, the problem persists.
3.) I tried the RAM in various configurations, still the same issue.
4.) I used CLR_CMOS next. The problem was the same.
5.) I Disconnected the CMOS from the motherboard for several hours and tried again... no change.
6.) I purchased a new CMOS battery and wired it up, then connected it to the motherboard. Exactly the same issue.
7.) I removed the m.2 ssd and tried to boot. Same as the start, all lights on the CPU cooler, RAM and Video Card are illuminated, all fans turn on but no power seems to be going to the USB ports and no signal to display.

This is an up to date (current SDC) Windows 10 pro system. The Bios on the MB is not up to date but was functioning fine.

MB: Gigabyte B450 I Aorus Pro WiFi.
CPU: Ryzen 2700X
RAM: 2x16GB @ 3600 GSkill Trident Z
GPU: Asus Strix Gaming OC 1080TI GPU
PSU: EVGA 850 G5
Storage: Intel 660p m.2 nvme 1TB.

I do have a total of 4 case cans and the wraith prism cooler running on the 2 fan headers but I checked their loads and made sure the headers could handle them (figured that could be VERY relevant...)

I've been using this build for 4 months without issue. I THINK the very last thing I did was windows "Update and shut down".

Any ideas?
So just an update. After moving all components over to a new motherboard everything works fine (aside from the old Motherboard). After initial bios Windows completed the update that was started the last time I shut down the PC. Unfortunately I have an OEM windows 10 and now i have the "activate windows" watermark. I'll be reaching out to gigabyte about a resolution/warranty. I wish I had an answer for what caused the problem and what the solution is for others who run into this issue.

TRENDING THREADS